View Diary: MA-Sen: Dem mayor of Boston praises Scott Brown and tea party, sows doubt about Elizabeth Warren (239 comments)

•  i agree with menino (3+ / 0-)
    greatdarkspot, sprogga, Sharoney

i don't think running an harvard law professor in what's likely to a populist-themed election is a very good idea.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." -John Adams

by rcnewton on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 11:58:04 AM PDT

•  in the case of warren it's a great idea, (4+ / 0-)

but absolutely nothing he said about her can possibly be construed as praise of scott brown or condemnation of her.  she knows perfeclty well that menino is, well, right about the campaigning challenges she faces.

It's funny, Ed Rendell says things like this all the time, and it's just because he's a pure politico, not as some sort of indsider/outsider game.

"This world demands the qualities of youth: not a time of life but a state of mind[.]" -- Robert F. Kennedy

by Loge on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 12:06:37 PM PDT

•  you think running a "liberal elite" (2+ / 0-)
        greatdarkspot, erush1345

(and being a harvard law professor counts) against a "populist" in an economic downturn is a good idea? i have doubts about your political instincts.

by rcnewton on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 02:25:50 PM PDT

•  what makes him a populist, the pickup truck? (7+ / 0-)

seems to me he has sided with the monied elites every time. whereas liz warren has been the fiercest advocate for middle class & working people for years.

Who cares what banks may fail in Yonkers. Long as you've got a kiss that conquers.

by rasbobbo on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 03:49:02 PM PDT

•  In politics (5+ / 0-)

its the perception, not the reality. That, and her type doesn't really play well in Massachusetts - some else on dkos called it the "statewide townie effect" - very few people outside of cambridge like being lectured by a Harvard professor.

by rcnewton on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 04:13:16 PM PDT

•  Nonsense. (1+ / 0-)
              jhannon

warren never comes across as a prof lecturing. And I really do not think MA voters are so stupid as to reflexively vote against someone affiliated with Harvard. She is NOT the Coakley type. She may be the first Dem woman to run for statewide office who does not come across as either an uptight schoolmarm or political hack, as the previous ones did--whom I nevertheless supported.

•  Do you live in Massachusetts? (3+ / 0-)
                erush1345, aisling, raboof

Do you follow elections here? And by that I don't mean comments on a blog.

I have. It's my business to know. I've worked in every state and local election since 1985.

Stupidity has nothing to do with it. Massachusetts voters can't be classified by how Cambridge, the Back Bay, Provincetown or other steadfast bastions of liberalism behave and vote.

Mass. voters are lunchbucket Dems. Many of them voted for Reagan. They feel overlooked and neglected by a group of elitist office seekers who they feel can't possibly understand what kind of struggles they face.

Coakley wasn't seen as a Harvard type. She was seen as a careerist who was too good to shake hands with the hoi polloi.

Brown owned the race with his phony-baloney pickup-truck barn-coated veneer of populism combined with his terrific political instincts and his attractive demeanor.

Warren's challenge is to frame herself as not only a consumer advocate, but someone who understands the struggles that the average lower-middle class voter here experiences every day. If she can't destroy the "liberal elitist professor" label that she was facing from even before she ran, she is toast.

You may not like that, but it happens to be true.

"The truth will set you free...but first it'll piss you off." - Gloria Steinem

by Sharoney on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 06:46:48 PM PDT

•  I'm not referring to Coakley (0+ / 0-)

I am referring to the way Warren will be framed by Scott Brown.

And yes, I lived in Cambridge for 4 years in graduate school (98-02). I was politically active during my time there - and do follow politics there.

by rcnewton on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 09:36:39 PM PDT

•  That's the Massachusetts truth (1+ / 0-)
                  Sharoney

Like it or not.  Menino wasn't expressing support for Brown, merely telling the Washington insiders that they may be wrong and the Warren had better start getting out there if she wants a chance?

She has not had one public appearance - it's all been house parties in the toney suburbs surrounding Boston - with no media invited.  Ever.  No way to run a political campaign.  The most recent poll says that 60% of Mass residents have never heard of her and that she has a 23% approval rating.  Yet she still does not campaign.

•  i lived in boston for 13 years, '74-'87 (2+ / 0-)
              Clytemnestra, Val

for quite a while mike dukakis was the governor & you'd have to go a ways to find someone dweebier. a very good & effective governor he was, too. he didn't drive a pickup, rode the mta as i recall.
              elizabeth warren has never struck me as a lecturing elitist while scott brown strikes me as a class a phony. but what do i know, mitt romney struck/strikes me as a class a phony too & he got elected there.

by rasbobbo on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 07:26:53 PM PDT

•  Most plutocratic "Populists." (1+ / 0-)
      Marie

If the Tea Party is populist, they've got to be the most plutocratic populists ever. There have been some dictatorial populists, especially in Latin America (and I mean from the Right and Left Wings.) I have not read of any claiming to speak for the people who have been such supporters of the superrich. Would a genuine populist movement demand that the government balance its budget immediately, without touching income taxes on millionaires?

Greg McKendry, Linda Kraeger, Dr. George Tiller, Steven Johns. Victims of Wingnut violence

by Judge Moonbox on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 05:55:50 PM PDT

•  No one is arguing that. (0+ / 0-)

But Warren is seen as parachuting in from Washington and trying to sweep into office on a liberal wave. Her name recognition is nil in Central Mass. She is seen elsewhere not as a populist, but a Harvard egghead, as they used to say in my father's day.

She's made a start of sorts by meeting with members of local Democratic committees across the state (full disclosure: I'm VP of my town's Democratic Committee. Hurray for me. Not.). But she should have been doing that a year ago.

"The truth will set you free...but first it'll piss you off." - Gloria Steinem

by Sharoney on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 06:28:09 PM PDT

•  A year agO???? (0+ / 0-)

She was doing other things a year ago.  If her name recog in central MA is nil, then obviously she can't be seen as an egghead--she's unknown! Capuano is not running. Khazei is a fraud: NOTE THE SALARY HE GAVE HIMSELF. Warren is the ticket. Wake up.

•  Oh, please. (0+ / 0-)

I'm fully awake, thankyouverymuch.

You can have a perception of a candidate precisely because you know nothing substantive about him/her.

I'm well aware that she was doing other things a year ago. What do you take me for?

The fact remains that she is woefully behind the curve, timewise, when it comes to preparing to run. You may not like it, but it happens to be true. I'm hoping that she can make up for her late start. But the odds aren't good.

And that doesn't mean I don't support her. But maybe I have a little bit better real-world perspective than you do.

Man, maybe I'm just getting old and cynical (quite an admission for an antiwar 60s activist) but this hair-trigger purist BS makes me so tired.

To repeat (again, ad nauseum): I want Warren as my next senator. But to deny the reality of the political climate here is to put blinders on and then blame everyone else for what you didn't see.

"The truth will set you free...but first it'll piss you off." - Gloria Steinem

by Sharoney on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 07:35:50 PM PDT

•  So was everyone else doing something else (0+ / 0-)

A year ago.   She goes to house parties.  She does not meet the media.  She's depending on the Boston Globe which very few people read any more (another story).  Forget a year ago- she has to be out there NOW and she's not.

•  Give the woman a chance (1+ / 0-)
          Judge Moonbox

It's 14 months before the election, and she hasn't even announced her candidacy.  People are talking as if she should have established name recognition, a Roseanne Barr style, and a taste for pork rinds in 1999 to have a chance against Scottie Brown in 2012.  I'm from Massachusetts, and I'm encouraged by what I hear.  Read Brian McGrory's column in yesterday's Globe.

•  The fact that she waited until 14 months before (0+ / 0-)

is precisely why I think the odds are against her.

Deval Patrick got his election team together a year before he declared. Which was over a year BEFORE the actual election. And he spent time before that visiting with possible supporters, both of the power and money type.

Warren, as you have said, hasn't even announced her candidacy. And I read Brian McGrory's column. He doesn't say she'll win. He doesn't say her style will fly with Massachusetts voters. He says she'll be a "fascinating" candidate. And I agree.

That doesn't mean she'll win. And props for "fascination" from a Globe columnist will scarcely convince the lunchbucket Dems and Independents who, like it or not, make up a majority of voters in this state.

I like her. That doesn't mean I think she'll win. That also doesn't mean I won't work for her if she survives past the primary.

"The truth will set you free...but first it'll piss you off." - Gloria Steinem

by Sharoney on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 07:51:00 PM PDT

•  The Globe is irrelevant (0+ / 0-)

Since they screwed their employees by screwing their union, many people have dropped subscriptions.   The people who run the Globe are truly awful people.

•  You've got to be kidding (1+ / 0-)
      Clytemnestra

a Harvard Law professor is not exactly her claim to fame.

If looks could kill it would have been us instead of him.

by jhannon on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 08:47:54 PM PDT