View Diary: MA-Sen: Dem mayor of Boston praises Scott Brown and tea party, sows doubt about Elizabeth Warren (239 comments)

•  I'm guessing that in addition to protecting (0+ / 0-)

his corporate and establishment political supporters, there's more than a little class and possibly even gender resentment here, i.e. "Who does that uppity elitist Harvard professor lady think she is with her hoity-toity elitist ways, thinking she can swoop in between sipping merlot and eating brie on Martha's Vinyard and tell us real folks what to do?".

I don't know MA or Boston politics so if I'm wrong, my apologies. But I sense some of this here, not unlike how lots of ConservaDems went after the Clintons, and especially Hillary, in the 90's.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 05:40:28 PM PDT

•  Really? If anti-elitism or class-consciousness... (1+ / 0-)
      Sharoney

... really explains Menino's antipathy, how did the Kennedys get his loyalty? I'll bet he has another Democratic horse he favors in this race. In any event, Menino ought to have kept his own counsel for a while longer on who should run against Senator I've-got-a-truck.

That he didn't is a major warning shot across  Ms. Warren's bow. She needs very soon to line up some MA establishment Democrats and get commitments from campaign staffers who know the territory.

Obama and strong Democratic majorities in 2012!

by TRPChicago on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 06:10:05 PM PDT

bozepravde15, greatdarkspot, raboof

for injecting some realism here. And despite the wishful thinking of my fellow Progressives here, it's not entirely gender-based.

Massachusetts is not Cambridge, Beacon Hill, the Back Bay, Provincetown and the Five College area. Sorry, but it's true. It is blue around the Greater Boston area, but get beyond 128 and it is purple, trending red, especially around Cape Cod and the South Shore. Central Mass. is blue only because Lt. Governor Tim Murray and  Rep. Jim McGovern have demonstrated how to keep the support of angry blue-collar Dems who watch Fox News and are one or two paychecks from poverty.

Ignore that reality at your peril, fellow Kossacks.

"The truth will set you free...but first it'll piss you off." - Gloria Steinem

by Sharoney on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 06:13:46 PM PDT

•  Well it may get him reelected (1+ / 0-)
        Sharoney

and be smart politics for him and his working class Reagan Democrat-based local party machine, but it's a rotten way to treat a fellow Democrat and/or get the attention of certain interests in the party. On the other hand, it should be an excellent test of Warren's political skills within the party, and a wakeup call as to what to expect. Chicago isn't the only city with Chicago-style politics.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 06:18:40 PM PDT

•  I'm not endorsing Mumbles' comments. (1+ / 0-)
          kovie

But I think to ignore what they signify is a mistake of the first order.

I hope Warren demonstrates those skills you mention. She needs to tap her inner Xena and go all ruthless, smiling warrior-princess on those she can't win over by any other means.

"The truth will set you free...but first it'll piss you off." - Gloria Steinem

by Sharoney on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 06:21:34 PM PDT

•  Non-massholes on here do not and cannot (2+ / 0-)
        cordobes, Sharoney

understand this. I feel like when I try to explain it, it goes in one ear and out the other. I just have a bad feeling about this election, that a Harvard professor is not going to sit well with a large portion of Massachusetts' working and middle class. I hope I'm wrong.

Eu quero ser mais que um simples problema

by bozepravde15 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 06:22:09 PM PDT

•  A Harvard professor (2+ / 0-)
          Sharoney, bozepravde15

who was convinced to run by the national committees in the hill and whose only political experience was heading a federal agency in Washington. Gulp. Maybe she'll prove to be a tremendous candidate with great campaigning skills, but what a tough place to start.

•  Exactly my point. (1+ / 0-)
            bozepravde15

I despair at the lack of realism here.

When Tippo said, "All politics is local," he knew whereof he spoke.

"The truth will set you free...but first it'll piss you off." - Gloria Steinem

by Sharoney on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 07:07:43 PM PDT

•  No realism on this issue on this site. (1+ / 0-)
              Sharoney

I wonder what percentage of the posters live in Massachusetts or have knowledge about state politics.

•  But, you know, (0+ / 0-)

we're supposed to fall in line and clap louder for Elizabeth anyway, and throw her our liberal dollars even if we support other candidates who, you know, actually made the radical step of declaring long before this.

And Chris Bowers has yet to respond to any of the comments on his own diary. Par for the course.

"The truth will set you free...but first it'll piss you off." - Gloria Steinem