View Diary: BREAKING: A Million in the Streets - Today Will Change Israel Forever | LiveBlog (266 comments)

•  don't even have to go that far back... (2+ / 0-)
    seanwright, alizard

huge antiwar protest in SF led to end of Vietnam war... Mobs of us were in the street...

Why not now?

"There's nothing serious about a plan that claims to reduce the deficit by spending a trillion dollars on tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires." - President Obama

by fhcec on Sat Sep 03, 2011 at 02:26:39 PM PDT

•  That's easy. The draft. People actually had a (8+ / 0-)

personal stake in fighting to end the war. My dad was q conscientious objector for religious reasons. Some of me my earliest memories are of going with him and my mom to do community service after he was convicted of draft dodging. You disrupt people's lives like that, you're going to get protests.

`You needn't go on making remarks like that, ... they're not sensible, and they put me out.'

by seanwright on Sat Sep 03, 2011 at 02:31:56 PM PDT

•  The Media was very different then (6+ / 0-)

There were anti-war and other major protests during the W years, and they were simply ignored by the right-controlled Media.  I marched in some of those protests, and it had zero effect.

Nixon was impeached and resigned over far less that what was done by W and his cabal.  The Washington Post sat by and cheered W and the Iraq war, when they should have been exposing them.  Very different from the time when Gerald Ford could say:

I got my job through The Washington Post.

Big Joe Helton: "I pay Plenty."
      Chico Marx: "Well, then we're Plenty Tough."

by Caelian on Sat Sep 03, 2011 at 02:47:40 PM PDT

•  Absolutely correct but (2+ / 0-)
        Just Bob, neroden

If there are enough of us they become irrelevant not us.

I'm truly sorry Man's dominion Has broken Nature's social union--Robert Burns

by Eric Blair on Sat Sep 03, 2011 at 03:54:17 PM PDT

•  and if enough people say to their neighbors (2+ / 0-)
          neroden, Matt Z

"the media is lying to us, here's where to get the facts" . . . TV news viewership drops into the toilet.

The other difference between now and then? The majority of us have Internet access . . . an alternative method of mass communication to broadcast media.

Peak Oil is NOW! Looking for intelligent energy policy alternatives? Try here.

by alizard on Sat Sep 03, 2011 at 05:19:18 PM PDT

•  Only once we network, though. (0+ / 0-)

Solidarity, as the saying goes.  Which doesn't mean unity, by the way.

Read pp. 1-7 of Krugman's _The Great Unraveling_ (available from Google Books). NOW.

by neroden on Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 01:54:06 AM PDT