View Diary: 70 Years of Tea Party Obstructionism (121 comments)

•  Tom Hayden was (21+ / 0-)

one of the founders of SDS, it's president, one of the authors of the Port Huron statement, a member of the Chicago Eight, once primaried a sitting Democratic Senator, and although he supported Obama in 2008, he's also advocated making the Democratic Party more progressive.

From Hayden's blog at the end of 2009:

It's time to strip the Obama sticker off my car.

Obama's escalation in Afghanistan is the last in a string of disappointments. His flip-flopping acceptance of the military coup in Honduras has squandered the trust of Latin America. His Wall Street bailout leaves the poor, the unemployed, minorities and college students on their own. And now comes the Afghanistan-Pakistan decision to escalate the stalemate, which risks his domestic agenda, his Democratic base, and possibly even his presidency.

The expediency of his decision was transparent.

Or shorter: Hayden is the penultimate "professional leftist", "progressive", and DFH that  some people around here (including this diary's author) love to punch.

Irony lives.

Oh, and, the conservative/liberal split in Congress, especially as it involved Dixiecrats, has been a mainstay of political science at least since the 1960s, probably earlier. Yet Presidents from FDR to Nixon still signed a lot of progressive legislation and didn't need to make excuses for why they couldn't.

If my thought-dreams could be seen, they'd probably put my head in a guillotine

by badger on Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 09:48:45 AM PDT

•  Thomas Hayden? (15+ / 0-)

I must be getting old. Everyone knows him as Tom.

I was a freshman at USC in 1977, and heard he was going to be a visiting PoliSci professor, I added his class and learned quite a bit how the Real World works (actually between him and Mark Kann).

Now, USC is as WASP as it gets, but the PS department is fairly traditional left wing, which was good for me, because I found the overprivileged Newport Beach frat boy/student who attended there annoying, and regretted not trying to get into Cal or UCLA.

Hayden was one of the leading activists of the '60s, made Nixon's Enemies List, and was one of the Chicago Seven (badger's reference to 8 is also correct, but only seven stood trial together).  He later held a number of local and statewide offices in CA. While it's a good diary, if the best the diarist can do to remember him as someone who was married to Jane Fonda, it takes a lot of impact off of the diary.

•  "Thomas" was the tipoff that the diarist (12+ / 0-)

had no clue who Tom Hayden is.

The "Chicago Eight" bothered me too. I was 99% certain Hayden was in the group, but checked wikipedia to be sure and they said Chicago Eight. It bugged me after posting, because I remembered Chicago Seven, and I'd forgotten that Bobby Seale's trial was severed part way through.

I envy you having a class with him.

This generation, or this era, could use a Tom Hayden, or a lot of them.

If my thought-dreams could be seen, they'd probably put my head in a guillotine

by badger on Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 12:31:32 PM PDT

•  Mark Kann Is No Slouch Either... (4+ / 0-)
          badger, Seamus D, laurnj, vets74

he's still at USC, after 36 years, here's something from him on point to this diary.

•  Well, I picked up on that too, (1+ / 0-)
          badger

but c'mon. The diairst is working through some pretty important historical connections, and so who cares if s/he hasn't worked all of them out at once?

The last I checked, Daily Kos wasn't a peer-reviewed academic journal. Maybe he didn't get the SDS connection with Tom Hayden, but the rest of the diary goes through some pretty useful historical parallels, and for me, the main point is that it serves as a starting point for discussion.

Nothing requires a greater effort of thought than arguments to justify the rule of non-thought. -- Milan Kundera

by Dale on Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 05:17:59 PM PDT

•  Hey, We're Here To Help (2+ / 0-)
            VigilantLiberal, badger

I don't think there's anything wrong with helping some of our younger members out with history and personal experience. I think I was pretty gentle in my criticism. I mean, if you're going to advocate a position, bring everything you have.

Two of my favorite diarists here on DK, King One Eye and Ministry of Truth, are both in their early 20s, and I expect nothing but greatness and fame from the in the future.

•  Yes, but unless you lived through that era like us (2+ / 0-)
            badger, jaysunb

old farts, it's hard to know all the strands that were going on, including the odd trial of the Chicago 7/8, and Tom's pivotal connection to SDS is not documented in that many places.

In face, when I see SDS even mentioned, it's described as a terrorist group, as if the SDS and Weathermen were synonymous.

Most of what gets read was only published in the last decade, and almost all of that uniformly indicts 60's liberals as bomb throwing drug-shooting lunatics. Further, while people lionize MLK, the connection between him and the Civil Rights movement is kind of erased, and no one mentions the threads that connected the Freedom Riders and the Berkely Free Speech movement, the SDS, the Weathermen and the Black Panthers (and hence to the Southern Civil Rights struggle). Huff. That's a lot for people to absorb, frankly.

Especially when the media, publishers and politicians all conspire to hide the truth of the era.

•  No, you're absolutely right. (1+ / 0-)
              VigilantLiberal

There's a lot that gets papered over in mainstream discussions of the sixties. The reductive story about MLK as a lone "great man" with no movement behind him is a perfect example of that.

by Dale on Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 09:41:45 PM PDT

•  That's exactly right (0+ / 0-)

Who Hayden is has nothing to do with the truth of what he says. But this is a diary by and largely for people who don't believe that, and who believe largely that any public figure who disagrees with Obama is totally discredited (or they will try to discredit him or her - often viciously).

The content of the diary is basic US political history and text book political science, and I know from experience it's something most people who post here know nothing about. On the one hand, it's good to point out those things, on the other hand it's impossible to have previously made informed historical comparisons without knowing those things.

I just find this diary abounds in little ironies like that.

If my thought-dreams could be seen, they'd probably put my head in a guillotine

by badger on Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 10:03:41 PM PDT

•  When I was in law school (5+ / 0-)

I worked for a lawyer who had gotten into the courtroom and watched the trial.  He remarked how chilling it had been to see Bobby Seale bound and gagged in an American courtroom.

If you think you're too small to be effective, you've never been in the dark with a mosquito.

by marykk on Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 05:25:05 PM PDT