View Diary: Rick Perry had an innocent man executed, and should be made to answer (286 comments)

•  well, the follow up could have been tougher, (1+ / 0-)
    elwior

as i explained above, asking not about Willingham directly but asking what role he thinks the Governor's power to hear clemency appeals and requirement to sign death warrants plays in the appeals process.  But the fact is, "I've never struggled with that at all" already tells us everything we need to know about Rick Perry, so I can't say Williams didn't completely not do his job.

"This world demands the qualities of youth: not a time of life but a state of mind[.]" -- Robert F. Kennedy

by Loge on Thu Sep 08, 2011 at 11:13:15 AM PDT

•  No. It was a big time fail. (4+ / 0-)
      jabney, MrJersey, Mathazar, rlharry

He needed to focus on the Willingham case.  Allowing for a general response is not even close to getting at the Willingham case.

If I let a man drown, you don't ask me what I think of helping people generally. You ask me why I let that guy drown.

I didn't care for math, but when I first understood the concept of finding the slope of a curve at a point, I wanted to grab the first girl I saw and kiss her with wild abandon, just like in that WW II photo.

by dov12348 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 at 11:25:06 AM PDT

•  He gave the answer he'd give (2+ / 0-)
        elwior, Mathazar

on the Willingham case -- he had a chance to appeal, Perry's confident in the outcome, and he lost no sleep.  Given that most of the audience didn't know about it, and there wasn't sufficient time to lay out the facts with 8 people up on stage, Perry's answer was enough to damn him.  The purpose of the debate isn't to nail him -- and you better believe a sit down interview will touch on this case in detail -- but to clarifiy divisions between the candidates.  Having established his immorality, a follow up could have established his irresponsibility and dereliction of duty, however, but only by asking a sufficiently general question that would also allow the other candidates to comment.

by Loge on Thu Sep 08, 2011 at 11:29:46 AM PDT

•  I disagree. (0+ / 0-)

First, that would be a fantastic opportunity to introduce millions to the Willingham case.

No need to lay out the facts.  One question: Why did you reject the new evidence on Willingham?  And maybe one follow-up.

by dov12348 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 at 11:42:14 AM PDT

•  it would unfortunately be a disservice to the (0+ / 0-)

other candidates.  Being ignored is worse than being attacked.  He'll have to go on meet the press eventually, and there David Gregory better damn well grill him on the facts of this case.

by Loge on Thu Sep 08, 2011 at 12:00:37 PM PDT

•  I don't follow. (0+ / 0-)

Nobody's being ignored.  The question is asked, Perry gives some bullshit response; one follow-up; Perry gives another bullshit response - then we move on.

How would that take any more time than what was asked and answered?

This whole exchange might just take one minute or less.  But then millions will see Perry as just one more evader or liar.

by dov12348 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 at 12:26:00 PM PDT

•  as they already saw . . . (0+ / 0-)

i agree the follow up should have been better, but i'd ask it more specifically at his governing philosophy.  Willingham is just the one we know about.  That he botched the case is evident, but letting him argue something or other on the facts of the case as he understood them doesn't quite reach to the point of clarifying why he didn't care enough to take new scientific evidence into account.  On some level he already answered it -- he doesn't think it's his job.  But why he thinks that is the question i want the answer to, not why he didn't deviate from his general philosophy in a particular instance.

by Loge on Thu Sep 08, 2011 at 01:12:29 PM PDT

•  We can agree to disagree. (0+ / 0-)

Everything Brian did was F for fail.  An average 14-year-old could have handled it properly.

by dov12348 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 at 05:45:54 PM PDT

•  I do take back what I said about Brian. (0+ / 0-)

After all, he could have been ordered to stay away from the Willingham case.

by dov12348 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 at 12:40:10 PM PDT

• Economy (18)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Politics (15)
  • Science (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Police Brutality (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site