View Diary: Being a "Dick" Isn't the Problem (89 comments)

•  Racism is heinous, and as a consequence (6+ / 0-)

unfounded and flippant accusations of racism are particularly serious. I have seen much more of the latter than the former here recently, though I see the opposite in the real world.

And the problem with calling someone a pussy, as you no doubt know, is not that it's mean, but that it's sexist. It's worse than all but a handful of the "seven dirty words."

Ok, so I read the polls.

by andgarden on Sat Sep 10, 2011 at 10:56:32 AM PDT

•  Well you know what? (1+ / 0-)
      Pluto
      Racism is heinous, and as a consequence (0+ / 0-)
      unfounded and flippant accusations of racism are particularly serious.

So too is falsely accusing someone of making such accusations.  If a false accusation of racism is fucked up, and I agree that it is, so too is claiming that someone made a false accusation.  It goes both ways.

Well pardon me.  You're throwing the word dick around (which is also sexist), so I thought you had the stones for this kind of exchange.  If you're going to sit up on your high horse and call one side of this melee dicks, then don't cry if someone drops the p-bomb.

Goddamit.

No need to squabble girls. There's plenty of me to go around. - Pam from True Blood

by fou on Sat Sep 10, 2011 at 11:06:23 AM PDT

•  I'm not going down the rabbit hole with you (3+ / 0-)

but you are being absolutely unfair with respect to "dick." It was Markos's word; not one that I regularly use. If you find it problematic, I invite you to write a diary on the subject.

Oh, and have a nice day.

Ok, so I read the polls.

by andgarden on Sat Sep 10, 2011 at 11:08:51 AM PDT

•  Dude, what? (0+ / 0-)

You want to swing the word "dick" around, and then hide behind Markos when someone points out it's offensive?

When you say it's not "dickishness" but some other implicit attitude, and then you run from your own choice to double-down on kos' metaphor, its says to me that you implicitly know the word is offensive on some level; and that while you'll use it to shame other people, you don't want to be accountable for your own use of it.

If that's not pussy, then I don't know what is.

Look homie.  I'm not offended in the slightest by the use of any of these words.  I just don't like people who only see the bullshit on one side, and I especially don't like people who run from their own use of offensive language or defend it (as if whatever word or words aren't offensive when you use them 'cause you're "right")  while calling other people out for whatever "attitude" they have.

You're an adult, no?  If you're going to use words like that, then fucking own it.  And as far as I'm concerned, I don't give a fuck what you think of someone else's attitude when practically everyone here has broken a rule or two at some point.  Why don't you talk about when you fucked up.  That'd be far more radical and honest.

by fou on Sat Sep 10, 2011 at 06:08:15 PM PDT

•  I like both dick and pussy as nouns (4+ / 0-)
        Annalize5, Johnny Q, triv33, fou

...and pronouns.

(And as the names of my favorite cats.)

I think they should both be lifted of the ebul sexisit category and used with complete freedom.

Just sayin'

•  I only use 'dick' and 'dickish' because it was (0+ / 0-)

what Markos used.  Is it sexist?  Well, yes, I suppose so.  But against men, who are far from an oppressed minority, so I think we can survive it.

•  I think that people have tried to (1+ / 0-)
      Free Jazz at High Noon

explain themselves -- some better than others, with respect to what they found as racist behavior.

I just don't think many on here have been listening very well.

You want to say that people complaining about racism deserved what they got without actually saying it.

I agree with fou's sentiment on this.  That was my take away as well.

In the end, it doesn't promote growth of thought when voices who challenge your inner most thoughts are taken away.  It only serves to reinforce poor behavior and narrow minded thoughts.

"The bottom line is, we've got to wake up. We can't allow our disappointment in Obama to lull us into allowing a truly dangerous strain of conservative philosophy to gain any more traction than it already has." --ObamOcala 4/5/11

by smoothnmellow on Sat Sep 10, 2011 at 11:09:45 AM PDT

•  I've said everything I want to say for now (0+ / 0-)

on that issue in the diary.

Ok, so I read the polls.

by andgarden on Sat Sep 10, 2011 at 11:11:47 AM PDT

•  Oh really? (1+ / 0-)
          Drewid

Interesting.

Interesting to me how you start a diary, but the moment someone challenges your POV on the matter, suddenly you don't want to discuss it anymore.

You just proved my point on narrow-mindedness.

Have a nice day.