View Diary: We're Getting What We Wanted From The President Now: A Fight (316 comments)

•  unnecessary comment. (1+ / 0-)
    Into The Woods

uncalled for comment. provocative comment. stupid comment. and yes, racist comment because there is NO reason for it other than to fan flames and agitate.

have a donut.

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? Mary Oliver

by byteb on Tue Sep 13, 2011 at 09:43:36 AM PDT

•  the need to not appear angry (4+ / 0-)
      Fury, Johnny Q, pot, Orange County Liberal

(to avoid the "angry black man") has often been proffered as a rationale for Obama's compromising attitude.

Now he seems a little angry and it's OK. This is the backstory to Fury's comment.

Here I am! I'm up here! Where are you? - the Red-eyed Vireo

by mightymouse on Tue Sep 13, 2011 at 10:18:10 AM PDT

•  I understand the backstory. (0+ / 0-)

But it's an old backstory that I haven't read about since the primary days when so many were aghast at his Rev. Wright connections. It's time has long past. Why resurrect it again? Why frame his reactions or non reactions in terms of race at this point in time?

I think there are better ways of expressing the idea that an angry and combative Obama is needed right now in order to get anything done and in order to win the election.

I also think that it's part of the President's basic personality to be professorial and non-combative. It has nothing to do with him tampering down on the angry black man thing. He is a mediator at heart and it can be a good thing but right now, we need him to be more confrontational.

by byteb on Tue Sep 13, 2011 at 11:14:31 AM PDT

•  it's been brought many times in the past 2.5 yrs (2+ / 0-)
          byteb, Orange County Liberal

often in an annoying way.

Fury was responding to that. This last episode argues against that talking point.

I agree with this part of your comment:

Here I am! I'm up here! Where are you? - the Red-eyed Vireo

by mightymouse on Tue Sep 13, 2011 at 12:36:24 PM PDT

•  Please go away (1+ / 0-)
      Fury

Adults are talking. Your insipid attempts at being the language police are a fail. There was nothing racists about that comment. I suspect at this point, just mentioning the word black gets your dog whistle going.

Anything to silence Obama's critics. Funny thing though, the comment you just HR'd was in support of Obama.

She was saying that the pundits are probably wrong when they say that the "angry black man" schtick would scare off white voters (who are racists) and that Obama showing some kick-ass would probably help him at this point.

•  Obviously, you have no knowledge about me. (0+ / 0-)

Your suppositions are all wrong but for some, ignorance is bliss so follow your bliss.

On the other hand, I gather from your previous statement on this thread that you regard a vote for Obama as a vote for the Republicans so perhaps you are the one that needs to please go away.

I did note that the comment I hide rated was supportive of Obama but I still feel that it was unnecessary to bring up "the angry black man" tripe to make a point that taking a more combative and less bipartisan stance is a much better idea for Obama. Liberals have been wishing and trying to signal to the White House that being the only grown-up in the room sometimes means telling the kids to stop the nonsense and have a time out.
        I stand by my hide-rate.
        Have a nice day.

by byteb on Tue Sep 13, 2011 at 10:58:29 AM PDT

•  also since you had a comment hide rated on this (0+ / 0-)

thread that is now hidden, please don't lecture me about being an adult.
        Just saying.

by byteb on Tue Sep 13, 2011 at 11:33:43 AM PDT

•  Please remove that, as it is the first ever (0+ / 0-)

I've received here after 7 years.  You, perhaps purposefully, are misinterpreting what I said.  I think you are fanning flames and agitating.

Got Social Security? Thank a Democrat!

by Fury on Tue Sep 13, 2011 at 10:54:00 AM PDT

•  I'm not purposefully misinterpreting what you said (0+ / 1-)
        Hidden by:
        Fury

I understand you are trying to be supportive of the President. But I feel that it was unnecessary to use the phrase you did in order to make your point.

Although they did not give you hide rates, other ppl have felt your comment was racist too.

I'm not fanning the flames and agitating. I truly feel that it was unnecessary to use the phrase you did.

And, btw, asking someone to remove a hide rate followed by accusing them of willfully misinterpreting your comment followed by accusing them of fanning the flames is not the best way to go.

by byteb on Tue Sep 13, 2011 at 11:06:53 AM PDT

•  Then I'll have to return the favor. nt (0+ / 0-)

Got Social Security? Thank a Democrat!

by Fury on Tue Sep 13, 2011 at 12:32:36 PM PDT

•  If it makes you feel better have at it (0+ / 0-)

but you just violated hide rate policy here on DKos.

Giving a donut based on pure retaliation is against site policy and an abuse of TU status...not to mention it's silly and spiteful.

At least, I had my reasons and I articulated them when I gave you my donut. It's a position that can be argued for or against.

What was hide-rateable in my last comment?

Gosh, I think you have another hide rate besides mine. What are you going to do about that? Hide rate an innocuous comment that person made and hide rate it?

I think you picked a perfect name for your online persona.

Have a great day.

by byteb on Tue Sep 13, 2011 at 01:21:51 PM PDT

•  So did you. nt (1+ / 0-)
              Fury
              •  But yes, at least you articulated your reasons. (1+ / 0-)
                Fury

But surely you can see Fury wasn't actually accusing Obama of acting like an Angry Black Man?  It might be best to chalk this up to a misunderstanding, we've had enough of that lately.  I think both sets of HRs should be reconsidered.

•  Please read my comment thread for a full (1+ / 0-)
                  jinx303

explanation. In short, I felt her comment was at best racially insensitive and unnecessary.

At least nine other Kossacks felt the same way. And two other members have given her donuts too, so it's not just me. Her comment struck other people the same way.

I explained my position and again, in light of others' reactions to her comment, I am not alone in how I perceived her remark. I also explained my reasoning politely and civilly.

So instead of letting it go...she hide rates me out of spite. She said that's the reason she did it. She had no reason other than being petty to donut me.

It was purely retaliatory and that's against guidelines and a violation of her TU status.

I'd be within my rights to hide rate her last comment to me when she hide rated me for no reason but that would make her have four donuts today and I don't know how she'd take it since she overreacted to getting just one.

I wonder if she'll give the other Kossacks who hide rated her donuts too out of a need for revenge.
                  Geesh. Grow up.

by byteb on Tue Sep 13, 2011 at 06:53:58 PM PDT

•  That's fair. (1+ / 0-)
                    byteb

I guess I have the benefit of having seen the comments her post was referencing, which suggested Obama dare not show anger for risk of being perceived as an angry black man.  I certainly understand the HRs her comment received, particularly in light of the current climate.  Thank you for your response, byteb.  In hindsight, I've had a bit of a "now you two play nicely" thing going on all day today, and I believe it's best if I stop it.

•  Again, she has two other hide rates (0+ / 0-)

so even if I wished to remove mine...which I don't...she'd still have two to get all upset over.

by byteb on Tue Sep 13, 2011 at 06:56:31 PM PDT