View Diary: How do I say this without seeming anti-Semitic? (267 comments)

•  Since I don't have the next 800-years (3+ / 0-)
    Radiowalla, hikerbiker, JNEREBEL

to play online moderator, can you link me to a specific one of your many links for a more concise purview? I'm sure I would have thoughts on individual statements in the context of anti-Semitism. I'm sure most Jews would have perspectives on what is, and is not, anti-Semitic. Particularly if you have family members who went through the Holocaust, and if you yourself have been subject to violent anti-Semitic assault in your own life. Then views on anti-Semitism become yet more salient, given how very fresh they are in not only some nebulous online hypothetical but in a more immediately lived sense that transcends the simple term or idea and its remote signification.

As one Jew to another, why don't you lend a hand and provide a specific link? I am at work. I have limited time. I am not approaching this as an academic conversation. It's not an exercise in online conjecture for me. It can only be regarded as a real issue for very serious consideration.

Thank you.

The medium IS the message.

•  I included most of the comments in full (3+ / 0-)
      beltane, Wee Mama, lotlizard

in the diary text, but here's a link to a comment that I believe was supportive of Israel (considering a veto politically impossible) that gave reasons that, had they come from other fingertips, might well have been taken as reinforcing anti-Semitic themes.

In my avatar, the blue bars show how many want Reps who COMPROMISE; the aqua bars show who wants Reps who STAND FAST no matter what. (Left=Overall; Center=Democrats; Right=Republicans.) And there's the problem!

by Seneca Doane on Tue Sep 20, 2011 at 08:13:40 PM PDT

•  You asked if a comment was anti-Semitic (2+ / 0-)
        zemblan, JNEREBEL

not pro-Israel. You link to a comment that you say you believe is "supportive of Israel," and then ask me if that supports anti-Semitic memes.

Why?

Do you want to know whether I think the comment is pro-Israel or if it's potentially anti-Semitic?

Does not compute.

•  That's the comment I was (6+ / 0-)

referring to. I have also noticed a general tendency for Likud supporters to unwittingly employ anti-Semitic memes in their arguments. The irony burns.

If the fall of the house of Murdoch is a tragedy, it is the feel-good tragedy of the century-James Wolcot

by beltane on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 05:07:38 AM PDT

•  I agree (1+ / 0-)
          beltane
          The US veto will be good for President Obama's (2+ / 0-)
          JayinPortland, leftynyc
          re-election.

Both parties need to negotiate an end to the fighting and a beginning to the two state solution.

"Stay close to the candles....the staircase can be treacherous" (-8.38,-8.51)

by JNEREBEL on Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 03:44:52 PM EDT

This is a hideous comment to make. (0+ / 0-)
          It suggests that Israel and Israel related issues could affect the election of the USA.  It suggests that a lot of people vote in elections based on the policy of "Israel first".

Of all the people who would make this comment, I am surprised that it was you.  Since you are so active in trying to stamp out ZOG and ZOGesq comments as well as insinuating that if Obama doesn't choose to go for the two state solution, then individuals, jewish and none-jewish, will change party affiliations.  Which verges on another anti-Semitic meme of "stab in the back".

I have noticed that you have said this in multiple other diaries.  This is a new low for you and i suggest that you cease to use this irrational politically intimidating and borderline racist meme that can be found on the racist and xenophobic blog like that of karmafish.  Which is basically a racist blog whos owner and commentators stalk and target dailykos users who do not agree with his racist and ultranationalist attitude.  Which also apparently also went under the name of "dailykoswatch" in a previous incarnation.

I know you are better then this sorta comment that you have been making in various diaries.  Because in the past you have hiderated such memes and called them out.  That is why I won't be HR'ed you.

Please reconsider these sorts of posts and stop making them in multiple diaries.  It hurts your credibility when you try to fight actual anti-Semitism on this site.  Then you go on to make comments such as this.  Other users might see your comment and think such notions are "OK" to post on this site.  They are not.

A democratic come back

by Dont Call It on Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 10:19:22 PM EDT

[ Parent | Reply to This ]

* [new] If you feel it is hideous, it must mean it is one (0+ / 0-)
          of the most beautiful things in the world then.

Thanks for the compliment as I would have never elevated it so myself.

BTW, my comment suggests nothing of the nature for which you seek to imbue it.

I hope that does not detract from its beauty for you.

"Stay close to the candles....the staircase can be treacherous" (-8.38,-8.51)

by JNEREBEL on Tue Sep 20, 2011 at 11:22:50 AM EDT

[ Parent | Reply to This |  Recommend   Hide ]

Before that JNEREBEL and others had spammed the same sort of comment in various other diaries.  Going by the groups own standards I asked them to stop.  Instead I received an insult.

A democratic come back