View Diary: How do I say this without seeming anti-Semitic? (267 comments)

•  I might add that the same applies to those who (4+ / 0-)

want to lump all Christians together.

The same also applies to those who casually refer to "the South" as alien country.  Being a Southerner, this does grate because it happens so frequently and thoughtlessly.

•  Muddying the waters (1+ / 0-)
      Kantro

If you disagree with xtians, you stop being a xtian.

If you disagree with Jews, you can't stop being a Jew.

Am I right, or am I right? - The Singing Detective

by Clem Yeobright on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 08:09:57 AM PDT

•  Sorry if you thought I was muddying the waters. (0+ / 0-)

I just wanted to point out the obvious; stereotyping is wrong.  It doesn't happen only to Jews.

Why can't a Jew stop being a Jew?  Whether I agree, or "disagree with Jews" is beside the point.

•  Well, yes and no (3+ / 0-)
        Clem Yeobright, Simian, Oh Mary Oh

Ethnically, you can't get rid of being Jewish.  (Jews got a strong reminder of that 70-odd years ago.)  Religiously, you can.  Culturally, who would want to?

In my avatar, the blue bars show how many want Reps who COMPROMISE; the aqua bars show who wants Reps who STAND FAST no matter what. (Left=Overall; Center=Democrats; Right=Republicans.) And there's the problem!

by Seneca Doane on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 09:24:37 AM PDT

•  Ya think? (1+ / 0-)
          Seneca Doane

Seneca, a Jew can become a bishop in the Catholic church - it's happened - and when the other bishops are sitting around the table chatting and his name comes up, be assured that one will lean over to his neighbor and say softly "Jewish, you know" ...

I'm guessing you have more than once had someone say to you"I had no idea you were Jewish" - as if that were a compliment, no?

I'm not Jewish, but I would be surprised to learn that I've known or dealt with more than half a dozen Jews of whom I was not aware they are Jews. (Of course, how could I know?)

Am I right, or am I right? - The Singing Detective

by Clem Yeobright on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 09:40:57 AM PDT

•  P.S. 'Ethnically' (1+ / 0-)
            Seneca Doane
            Ethnically, you can't get rid of being Jewish.

Technically speaking, I think your 'ethnic' location in Judaism is fairly easily muddled, e.g., "Really? He's Eastern European Jewish? I'd always understood he was Sephardic ... Who'd a thunk it?"

To us gentiles, that's a curiosity. That you are Jewish, not so much ...

Am I right, or am I right? - The Singing Detective

by Clem Yeobright on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 09:48:45 AM PDT

•  One of the leading candidates for Pope (1+ / 0-)
            Clem Yeobright

back when Benedict XVI was chosen was a French Cardinal who was born Jewish.  I was rooting for him only so I could go around and say "Of course it's so!  Is the Pope Jewish?"

I get your point; I'm just noting that many Jews would disagree.  Here's an ironic example that I was informed of by a Reform rabbi who decided not to marry me and my lapsed Catholic first wife (because we hadn't decided in what religion we would raise our children, if we had any, which we ultimately didn't):

Orthodox rabbis, he told me, would continue to recognize someone as Jewish even if they had renounced the religion of Judaism (most commonly by converting to Christianity) based on their maternal ancestry, per the Torah.  Reform rabbis, on the other hand, would consider the renunciation of the status of being Jewish as a permanent change, and would require someone who wanted to go back to being Jewish to go through conversion.  So Reform Judaism, the rabbi's lesson went, was in some ways more hard-assed than Orthodoxy!

Of course, as you note, "how could [one] know?"  If you move to a new town, who would know that you had ever (even if briefly) become a Christian?  The same logic, of course, applies to Catholics who seem to receive communion despite not having confessed their sins.

by Seneca Doane on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 10:06:10 AM PDT

•  I thought that was the case (the Cardinal) (3+ / 0-)
              Seneca Doane, lissablack, Oh Mary Oh

but it was too trivial to look up, so I went with 'bishop'.

BUT of course YOU knew! LOL

When I was young and Catholic, I knew every ballplayer who was Catholic and probably all the politicians too. I reveled in JFK's Houston speech and was more than a little outraged at the girl in my 9th grade class who said "Well, we're Republicans but we're Catholic too, so we're voting for Kennedy". [Jesus, Janet, put a bow on it and HAND it to them!]

I'm not Catholic now, and no one knows - or cares - that I ever was. My 'Catholic side' is German so it wouldn't be obvious if my 'stock' were Catholic or Lutheran.

It's not the same for you. To us, you will always be Jewish and your opinions - and your person - subject to dismissal on those grounds alone.

I've read a bit on the '30s - most recently, In the Garden of Beasts - and I think we are 'cavalier' in thinking that it's a new world. For that reason, I think that anti-Semitism ought to be subject to 'strict scrutiny' here at DK in a way that would be silly for anti-Irish or -Italian or -German or -any other group. Including AA, in my opinion.

Am I right, or am I right? - The Singing Detective