View Diary: Prestige Television, Joss Whedon and the End of History (79 comments)

•  The first four seasons of Buffy (3+ / 0-)
    swellsman, nomandates, SquirmyRooter

were among the best of television.  Then things started going downhill.  I still feel the last season was an abomination.

I recently sat down and watched all five seasons of "Angel" for the first time.  I was actually surprised by how much I liked that.  I'd been resisting watching it for awhile.  It was better than I expected.

“I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.”

by owilde69 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 at 06:15:45 PM PDT

•  Yeah, I'm with you . . . (3+ / 0-)
      nomandates, SquirmyRooter, owilde69

. . . on that last season.  That was disappointing.  Although if Robot Chicken is to be believed, the next season would have had killer Cabbage Patch dolls - now that would have been awesome!

Politics is the never-ending story we tell ourselves about who we are as a people.

by swellsman on Thu Sep 15, 2011 at 06:22:17 PM PDT

•  That's insane troll logic (Buffy quote)+ (6+ / 0-)

I love 6 and 7. Didn't LOVE 5, but don't think there's a single bad season. How could you not love the trio (I think they're my favorite villains). In fact, if I had to order: 6, 2, 3, 7, 4, 1, 5.

Thousands of years ago the question was asked: 'Am I my brother's keeper?' That question has never yet been answered in a way that is satisfactory to civilized society. ~ Eugene V. Debbs

by PlutocracyFiles on Thu Sep 15, 2011 at 06:23:19 PM PDT

•  I loved the final resolution of Buffy. (5+ / 0-)

I still get chills when I think of the scene where they empower women around the world. It was a brilliant portrayal of how a feminine leadership model would differ from a masculine one. She recognized how lonely it was to be the only one with all the power, that one person should never have to shoulder so much and that it's not effective in the long run, so she empowered everybody.

though I wasn't as thrilled with the final seasons as the early ones, I found the ending very satisfying. (with the exception of the fact that all the humans, no matter how reprehensible they were survived and all the demons, no matter how redeemed they had become died. that is, of the ongoing characters. That, to me, was counter to a theme throughout the series that things are not always so clear cut and that you have to look at things more deeply to get a real sense of who someone is. it was almost parochial when it came to who survived.)

Please remember to Witness Revolution. It means so much to them that we pay attention.

by UnaSpenser on Thu Sep 15, 2011 at 07:20:32 PM PDT

•  He killed of Anya - that pissed me off n/t (0+ / 0-)

big badda boom : GRB 080913

by squarewheel on Thu Sep 15, 2011 at 09:19:31 PM PDT

•  i always get chills (2+ / 0-)

in that scene too, and tear up a bit. also right before spike explodes.

It is not upon you to finish the Work, but neither shall you, O child of freedom, refrain from it.

by DoGooderLawyer on Thu Sep 15, 2011 at 09:46:22 PM PDT

•  the way I figured it (2+ / 0-)
        PlutocracyFiles, UnaSpenser

there was a kind of logical progression of the seasons, based on who the villain was

Season #1 - the Master, conventional evil vampire lord
        Season #2 - Spike & Drusilla, charismatic Sid & Nancy sort of vampire duo

but then he started escalating levels of authority

Season # 3 - the mayor (with help from the principle)
        Season # 4 - the US government
        Season # 5 - a God

at this point they couldn't exactly escalate any higher level of authority to oppose so they took it to a more subtle, inner level

Season # 6 - the nerds; but also of course Willow, which shows that the enemy becomes something inside ourselves

Season # 7 - Buffy realizes that she is herself the enemy, as she becomes more and more of an authoritarian jerk, and finally, kills off her own authority

•  First off - awesome that you replied (2+ / 0-)
          UnaSpenser, david graeber

You know you mentioned (half-joking) that you started Buffy studies, but ACTUALLY your paper was really early!

Second, great point - I hadn't thought of the progression. There's also the misogynist preacher in S7 (Caleb, played by Nathan Fillion). I'll have to think of how that fits.

by PlutocracyFiles on Sat Sep 17, 2011 at 12:27:29 AM PDT

•  absolutely. part of what made the storytelling (2+ / 0-)
          PlutocracyFiles, david graeber

so compelling was this progression. It was never a stale, limited story with repeat themes. It was pushing for more and more exploration of what evil really is, what it takes to be redeemed, etc.

And that redemption exploration continued with Angel.

by UnaSpenser on Sat Sep 17, 2011 at 07:02:28 PM PDT