View Diary: A Bold Rejection of America's Failed Diplomacy Sends Obama Administration Scrambling (207 comments)

•  Saying in Netanyahu's pocket is way over the top (0+ / 0-)

did you need to go there?

Gasoline made from the tar sands gives a Toyota Prius the same impact on climate as a Hummer using gasoline made from oil. ~ Al Gore

by Lefty Coaster on Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 10:40:54 AM PDT

•  The US has had no leverage over Israel (1+ / 0-)
      PrahaPartizan

since its capitulation on the settlement freeze.  Israel has been calling its own shots ever since, leaving the US in the very weak position of commenting from the sidelines.

Now the sweep of events has left both countries in a terrible diplomatic position, as you correctly note in the diary.

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free
      ¡Boycott Arizona!

by litho on Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 11:10:59 AM PDT

•  I'm not the diarist (1+ / 0-)
        Ptah the Great

Its better to avoid statements that can be misconstrued, like saying the president is in ANYBODY's pocket.

by Lefty Coaster on Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 11:32:27 AM PDT

•  Realized my mistake after I posted (0+ / 0-)

but I'm not going to retract the statement.

Fact of the matter is that the president's first great negotiating failure was his capitulation to Netanyahu.  It foreshadowed his later capitulations to Boehner on deficits and the debt ceiling.

And it's also a fact that since the president's capitulation Israel has been in the driver's seat blocking any meaningful negotiations with the Palestinians.

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free
          ¡Boycott Arizona!

by litho on Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 12:01:12 PM PDT

•  Capitulation and being in one's pocket (0+ / 0-)

are two very different things, wouldn't you agree?

by Lefty Coaster on Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 12:16:46 PM PDT

•  Israel is in the driver's seat (0+ / 0-)

as a result of the capitulation.

I'd say that puts Obama in Netanyahu's pocket.

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free
              ¡Boycott Arizona!

by litho on Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 12:31:10 PM PDT

•  To me that phrase implies being bought (0+ / 0-)

by Lefty Coaster on Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 12:33:55 PM PDT

•  I'm just seeing this thread, but agree that the (2+ / 0-)
                  Lefty Coaster, angry marmot

phrase "in one's back pocket" implies undue influence, and I have always thought of it as monetary. I wasn't able to find the etymology of the phrase.

I'm "THE" Troubadour," and not "Troubadour" without the article. We're different people here at DK :)

by David Harris Gershon on Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 03:46:53 PM PDT

• Recommended (149)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Labor (23)
  • Economy (21)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Josh Duggar (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site