View Diary: Obama will issue Super Congress veto threat: No deal without new revenues (311 comments)

•  What excuse when he folds again? (1+ / 0-)
    RainyDay

That was a great speech but I have lost all belief that the President knows how to or can stand up to the GOP.  We all know the GOP will NEVER accept tax increases or the new millionaires tax bracket.  What excuse will he use when he doesn't follow through on his rhetoric and accepts another (bad) compromise?

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

by Liberal Elite on Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 08:27:27 AM PDT

•  What about congress? (5+ / 0-)

Seems to me that you are absolving them of all responsibility while piling unfairly on the President. The president didn't hire congress - WE the people did by electing them into office in the first place. If we collectively cannot and will not stand up to the GOP, why should one person?

•  Of course its the GOPs fault (0+ / 0-)

I don't think there is anyone on this website who think the GOP is right, but the President doesn't have to keep accepting their ideas.  Like I said, I liked the speech and would like him to stand up for what he said.  Something he has not done since being elected.  He always has the right idea but lacks the conviction to stand up for what's right.  Within 2 weeks, he will be talking about working together and trying to get things done.  Then, he will accept some proposal that goes against what he just said while getting nothing in return.  I hope I'm wrong, but I haven't seen the President Obama that will stand up and call the GOP on their bull.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

by Liberal Elite on Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 08:45:11 AM PDT

•  Where did you get the idea (0+ / 0-)

that the President "accepted the GOP's ideas?" He never did.

President Obama can only work with what he's got. Right now the GOP holds the majority in the house and if they don't vote for the plan it won't get enacted - no matter how many speeches the President makes. If we the people don't put pressure on the GOP, and instead spend our time on blogs attacking the President and lying about his (lack of) convictions, the GOPers in congress will simply smile and continue to do what they are doing and the President will have no choice but to go along with their nonsense. Therefore it's up to the people like ourselves to directly and swiftly hold congressional Republicans accountable.

•  GOP ideas (2+ / 0-)
            penguins4peace, World Patriot

1.  extending the Bush tax cuts
            2.  no new EPA standards
            3.  Romney-care
            4.  continuing the wars
            5.  not closing Gitmo
            6.  no Wall St in jail
            7.  Medicare cuts
            8.  nothing done about offshore oil spill
            9.  no torturers in jail

I could keep going… I know the Democrats co-op'd these ideas but they are GOP ideas not Democratic.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

by Liberal Elite on Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 09:07:56 AM PDT

•  I don't know. This time he said it's time to do (0+ / 0-)

what's right.  If he doesn't do it, that means he will be doing what's wrong.  So maybe he's painted himself into his own corner.  Let's hope.

"Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - Ronald Reagan - 1980

by livjack on Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 08:36:38 AM PDT

•  when the GOP refuses to allow tax increases on (1+ / 0-)
      etherealfire

the top earners and big corporations, he'll use that as a platform to run on in 2012.  It's simple, it's fair and the whole country is on that side.  It's not about policy from here to the election; the GOP doesn't want policy changes--they want the country to tank in order to win.  Their stand for the wealthy only is the best way for Dems to be elected in 2012.

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it. --Mark Twain

by SottoVoce on Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 08:55:45 AM PDT

•  If that happens, I will be happy (0+ / 0-)

Obama just wants everyone to work together SO bad, he takes bad deals.  I would rather take no deal than a bad deal.  That is where President Obama and I differ.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

by Liberal Elite on Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 09:10:31 AM PDT

•  I don't think any of us is qualified to determine (1+ / 0-)
          etherealfire

what "Obama just wants."  He has taken bad deals in the past, but his reasons may range from believing he needs to get something rather than nothing, to having the wrong advisors, to thinking the deals aren't as bad as they look, etc.  Best to skip declaring what he wants to working to support what he's asked for in this case.

by SottoVoce on Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 09:25:48 AM PDT

•  He didn't have to sign anything (0+ / 0-)

There has been no vetos and congressional overrides.  Everything with his name is a law because he wanted it to be. Like Harry said, The Buck stops with him!

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

by Liberal Elite on Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 09:34:10 AM PDT