View Diary: #OccupyWallStreet video MUST. GO. VIRAL. (They fear a class war, let's give em one!) (202 comments)

•  Pretty bad in Chicago in 1968 :( (7+ / 0-)

Meteor Blades: "Don't tell me what you believe. Tell me what you do and I'll tell you what you believe."

by cotterperson on Tue Sep 20, 2011 at 02:57:13 PM PDT

•  I actually (8+ / 0-)

remember this night, Grant Park was filled protesters and the police just unleashed on the crowd and blooded them with night sticks, they literally cracked peoples skulls open.  They just shoved bloodied protestors on the patty wagon after they beat and arrested them.  And now here we are 43 three years later and we still have to fight this shit, then it was the establishment and now it is the elites, same shit different day.

"Won't you please come to Chicago. . . we can change the world."  I've just drawn a blank on the name of the song.

If you are digging yourself into a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging!

by zaka1 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 at 04:55:10 PM PDT

•  Of course (3+ / 0-)
        cotterperson, elwior, hyperstation

the name of the song was "Chicago," this tells the story of protesters, sorry I don't know how to embed videos.

If you are digging yourself into a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging!

by zaka1 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 at 05:03:38 PM PDT

•  Wow! (4+ / 0-)
          zaka1, MinistryOfTruth, elwior, venger

Great project that poster did as a history student! I remember that CSNY song by it's wonderful chorus, "We Can Change the World."

What I saw on TV that summer changed me and lots of others who weren't there, I think. We were already seeing the brutality of Vietnam and, as the student pointed out, "a riot is like a war."

Now, I dunno. Tasers instead of tear-guns -- but at least now it's public.

Peace.

by cotterperson on Tue Sep 20, 2011 at 05:18:24 PM PDT

•  Thanks! (0+ / 0-)

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 10:50:10 AM PDT

•  That was a different situation. (4+ / 0-)
        elwior, cotterperson, zaka1, boadicea

The bulk of those protesters in Grant Park were college kids who stood about zero chance of ever being drafted.  A lot of them only showed up to smoke weed and pick up members of the opposite sex.

Meanwhile, most of the Chicago PD were from working class families.  Most knew someone who was off fighting--or was even killed--in Vietnam.  When these rich punks began shouting venom in their faces it became personal real fast.

Add Mayor Daley to the mix with his Get Tough on Crime and Impress the Big Shots stance and the violence became inevitable.

These protesters are smart in that they're modelling themselves on Dr. Martin Luther King.  The last thing they want is to make trouble for the law.

Never meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer.--Bruce Graham

by Ice Blue on Tue Sep 20, 2011 at 05:53:14 PM PDT

•  Oh, yes. (3+ / 0-)
          elwior, Ice Blue, zaka1

Different in almost every way. It was just a few months after the assassination of Dr. King and Robert F. Kennedy. After that descent into violence, it was almost impossible not to respond in kind -- especially for those who were under attack. Once the "law" is broken, it's all down hill :(

Damn straight, they're smart!

Power to the People ;)

by cotterperson on Tue Sep 20, 2011 at 06:30:54 PM PDT

•  Your right (4+ / 0-)
          Randtntx, Ice Blue, cotterperson, elwior

however, there were a few there protesting that were from working class families including my (future) husband who was sent to Viet Nam shortly after this protest.  And my future brother-in-law who was still drafted because of his lottery number.

I always thought it was wrong that if you were in college at that time you were thought of being of more valued in society and usually were not drafted.  I think this has truly added to the class warfare we are seeing now in our society.

If you are digging yourself into a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging!

by zaka1 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 03:52:07 AM PDT

•  That's and unfair assessment (2+ / 0-)
          cotterperson, elwior

But you're right about class-differences. That was a very big deal for cops in those days--they deeply resented young people at the time who were, it seemed to them, threatening everything they believed in.

I think labeling them as rich punks is really unfair. Many of those radicals had risked their lives in the Civil Rights movement and been on the front lines of stopping a very nasty war. Yes, there were some like you describe but many people there, particularly the organizers, were very serious people. I was out of the country at the time but had friends who were there. It was very difficult time--people weren't joy riding around they had just had the future President assassinated as well as MLK and we were desperate. To trivialize the people who were there is deeply insulting to those of us who fought the system in those days. If young people of today had half the courage of people I knew in those days we wouldn't be looking at the mess we see today.

•  I'm aware the demonstration was organized (0+ / 0-)

by true believers with noble intentions.  Our own MB was there to speak in favor of Native American rights.  Many are still progressive activists.  There were also a lot of pampered asswipes who were only there to mouth off.  They knew damn well if they got busted Mummy and Daddy would bail them out.  They're the ones who morphed into the greedy yuppies of the '80s.  Jerry Rubin wasn't alone in that, you know.

by Ice Blue on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 08:05:16 AM PDT