View Diary: On Being Resourceful and Reinventing yourself (100 comments)

•  It is the least I can do (9+ / 0-)

for my fellow citizens. Our government seems to be letting us down very badly. It appears for the time being we are on our own.

Thank you for reading.

It is the heart that makes a man rich. He is rich according to what he is not what he has -Henry Ward Beecher

by PSWaterspirit on Mon Sep 26, 2011 at 09:39:32 PM PDT

•  Sigh ... I'm not sure what you expect government (0+ / 0-)

to do for you, but if you received any of the following, then it's a little unfair to say that 'government let you down':

Food Stamps

Unemployment Insurance

Reemployment assistance (usually offered to people on UI and includes a variety of services from a central place for job listings to resume help to paid retraining)

Current reduction of payroll taxes and the past increase of  UI payments beyond the state level

They could be doing more, of course, but government is doing stuff for you even if you don't recognize or appreciate it.

Help us to save free conscience from the paw Of hireling wolves whose gospel is their maw. ~John Donne

by ohiolibrarian on Tue Sep 27, 2011 at 12:28:04 PM PDT

•  I recieved unemployment which is insurance (0+ / 0-)

No other help. I applied for both food stamps and energy assistance, I was denied because my 549 square foot house and ten year old car were worth to much money.

They were out of retraining funds by the time I got laid off.

I asked for nothing else.

by PSWaterspirit on Tue Sep 27, 2011 at 04:59:13 PM PDT

•  Since you are probably paying payroll taxes (0+ / 0-)

right now, you are paying 2% less than normal. And if you got an extra $25 from unemployment during 2009, that was courtesy of ARRA.

Unemployment is a state-run federally-mandatd government program largely funded by employers, but frequently the states borrow $$ from the feds. It's not really any kind of insurance program because there is no actuarial basis for it.

by ohiolibrarian on Tue Sep 27, 2011 at 06:14:18 PM PDT

•  I ran out of unemployment (0+ / 0-)

in 2004.

I recieved 1 extension of 3 months. Because I was in one of the last rounds of layoffs the system for retraining was already overwhelmed and out of money.

I believe strongly in helping people who need it. I am a believer that 99.9% of the people recieving assistance are because it was a last resort and they were out of options.  I have some skills that have allowed me to avoid being out of options. I am aware that others may not have these simply because they have never needed them until now. I want there to be enough for everyone. Resources are finite, I want there to be enough to go around.

I have been living this economy for nearly 20 years starting with the collapse of the timber industry on the Olympic Peninsula where I was, among other things, a volunteer emt. It was not unusual to go on 3 calls a month for successful suicides.

If our country was a ship she would be taking on water fast and listing hard to the right so hard there are alot of people drowning in the water from falling overboard.
            The thing is the leak is bad enough the pumps (government programs and fixes) can't keep up. We need every one to start bailing, we need to get those thrown overboard (unemployed) back on the ship so they can recover and help bail. It is going to take us all to right this thing again and make repairs.

What I do not want to see is what happened on the Peninsula which was the ultimate faith that the government would be able to make it all right only to find out to late we were on our own. Let us understand that we must work together and try to figure out where to go from here. We need every body working together.

We are now doing battle with my former neighbors from the Peninsula, who are almost 100% republican and likely tea baggers as well. They are bitter folks who want the govenment just to leave them alone.

by PSWaterspirit on Wed Sep 28, 2011 at 03:45:57 PM PDT

•  My apologies ... (1+ / 0-)
              PSWaterspirit

I thought you were pulling a Craig T. Nelson.

by ohiolibrarian on Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 09:08:33 PM PDT

•  No Problem :) (0+ / 0-)

I believe the government has finite resources. There are alot of people out there who really need help. I want there to be enough to go around for those who do.

If there is such a thing as a "welfare cheat" I would be suprised. My experience at just applying for aid was horrible. I can't imagine any one going through it unless there was no other choice.

by PSWaterspirit on Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 11:40:59 PM PDT