View Diary: Anti-Capitalist Meet-up: Mondragon Miracle Part 3 of 3: Lessons Learned (87 comments)

•  Certainly if there doesn't (5+ / 0-)

seem to be the prospect of immediate profit the capitalists are not actively interested. However, at least in the US they manage to plant obstacles. Of course if coops were to really begin to gain a bit of traction, they would easily become threatened by them.

Are you familiar with the history of cooperative movements during the great depression? I am not but I know that they existed. Since I think that there is much about the present to compare with that dark period, it would be interesting to look at that particular history.

•  Only that they did very well during every (3+ / 0-)
      NY brit expat, Justina, DawnN

depression we've had since the 18090s.  Also, they have done considerably better in Europe with more of a union-worker and social welfare state history. the United states is the least friendly environment for coops legally, but it is slowly beginning to change (take note of unions getting involved).

•  I think that the most important thing (4+ / 0-)
        Richard Lyon, Justina, TPau, DawnN

is to ensure continuity even in the good times, which means both producer of intermediate and final goods and also consumer cooperatives. As you pointed out in an earlier diary if they are only successfully used in the bad times then they are fulfilling a need for the system rather than working people. They need to be seen as a normal form, I know that they are working on that in the states; they do exist and have existed successfully for a long-time in Europe for exactly the reasons you have stated.

"Hegel noticed somewhere that all great world history facts and people so to speak twice occur. He forgot to add: the one time as tragedy, the other time as farce" Karl Marx, The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte .

by NY brit expat on Sun Sep 25, 2011 at 03:56:11 PM PDT

•  The economic forms taking place in the late 1930's (6+ / 0-)

would make a great diary. Not just the US but Europe as well. People were desperate and they  were trying anything and everything to make it work. Local currency, coops, demurrage currency...all kinds of stuff. It may have been these small social experiments that moved FDR's hand more than anything else. They were gaining power and so was the populace movement. They would have changed the face of power in the US forever if these movements had not been quelled.

De air is de air. What can be done?

by TPau on Sun Sep 25, 2011 at 03:58:17 PM PDT

•  I really hope that there is someone that (5+ / 0-)

can do this diary that can discuss the history and response of working people to the great depression. From moving people back into their homes when they were dispossessed, to sharing of skills and talents (my grandmother baked for people in the building who had access to extra flour of which she got a portion for her labour), to community support for each other in schools, helping build things, sharing, coops. I think not only will it be good to discuss this for historical purposes but also as a way to start discussing useful local solutions for hard times that have been tried and tested; moreover, these things can also be used irrespective of hard times to build community support which is essential to build for change.

by NY brit expat on Sun Sep 25, 2011 at 04:06:11 PM PDT

•  that was my obviously too subtle way of (1+ / 0-)
          TPau

asking if there was anyone that had the knowledge to do the diary or was willing to research it; it could be broken down to the US during the Great Depression and another one for Argentina and other places suffering from economic collapse. I have been living over in the UK for too long, so is there anyone that could volunteer to do this diary?

by NY brit expat on Sun Sep 25, 2011 at 05:13:41 PM PDT

•  I would love to do this but I already have six... (1+ / 0-)
            NY brit expat

diaries for this site that I am working on. Yes, this is my main way to procrastinate and not finish my own manuscript.

De air is de air. What can be done?

by TPau on Sun Sep 25, 2011 at 05:29:56 PM PDT

•  it sounds like we are sharing the same curse (0+ / 0-)

it is a nightmare and has essentially undermined my hope of ever finishing my manuscript as well; but I had sort of abandoned that ages ago, so blaming the site may be convenient for me but it is not really fair on the site. :)

by NY brit expat on Sun Sep 25, 2011 at 05:47:54 PM PDT