View Diary: A Pedagogical Success? A Supply Side Young Republican Meets the Human Face of the Great Recession (189 comments)

•  Agreed. (40+ / 0-)

Fear is a huge part of the mentality. They're terrified to acknowledge that bad things sometimes happen to good people, and too lazy to try to combat the reasons for that. So, instead, they rationalize the existence of injustice in the world by telling themselves that actually, injustice doesn't really exist at all. Those who have bad things happen to them somehow deserve their fate, in their small minds. You saw this attitude a lot during the whole healthcare reform debate: the assumption of those on the right is almost always that THEY would never need to benefit from the contributions of others, because they are responsible and virtuous and healthy and would save enough to pay for their own healthcare.

I also think this attitude is behind the belief in heaven and hell and other forms of eternal judgment. Many people just cannot deal with the idea that many injustices go unpunished and many good deeds go unrewarded, and so they cling to the idea of a sort of cosmic scale that will balance things out, and right all wrongs, in the end. It's easier to believe that than to actually do something about the evil that humans perpetrate in the world.

•  Bah. Such pointless cynicism. (15+ / 0-)

If you want to be cynical keep your aim on those who are 30+ but leave the young out of it. I grew up in a college town, and I've spent the better part of the last 25 years in academia surrounded by young people. I've seen kids rebel against their conservative past a thousand times if I've seen it once. And it can be triggered by anything. For some it is the first time they read Hunter S. Thompson. For others it is first-hand realization that all the conservative myths they were taught about sex and marijuana are false. For others it is the mere exposure to a world of ideas that challenges their worldview for the first time and they realize that their fealty to the conservative cause isn't as strong or as meaningful as they thought. For others it is realizing that nobody who matters really cares about Rush Limbaugh and that a rigid supply-side philosophy isn't advancing your chances of getting laid.

Fucking c'mon, people. Remember what you were really like when you were young. Remember how politically fucked up and impressionable you were at times and the next time you see a 19-year old wingnut cretin you may recognize, however painfully, a bit of yourself.

There are two types of republicans, the rich and the stupid. The rich ones strive to keep the stupid ones stupid and the stupid ones strive to keep the rich ones rich.

by frankzappatista on Wed Sep 28, 2011 at 05:47:25 PM PDT

•  Thanks Frank... (3+ / 0-)

He's still young.

He can still evolve even if he doesn't believe in evolution.  He won't realize it's happening to him.

Hope springs eternal...

I am here to represent the democratic wing of the Democratic Party. Roar louder!

by Josiah Bartlett on Wed Sep 28, 2011 at 06:07:21 PM PDT

•  Sex and Marijuana (5+ / 0-)

If they could change my point of view from a conservative, they could change anyones (:

Your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick - Jethro Tull

by codobus on Wed Sep 28, 2011 at 06:47:33 PM PDT

•  Great comment..Love your sig line... BTW (2+ / 0-)
        frankzappatista, Josiah Bartlett

Only Two Things Are Infinite, The Universe and Human Stupidity, and I'm Not Sure About The Former......... Albert Einstein

by futureliveshere on Wed Sep 28, 2011 at 07:06:01 PM PDT

•  Raising hand. (4+ / 0-)

One such

kids rebel against their conservative past
        present and accounted for.

"There are always 10% screaming about something"--Hollydem's Dad.

by pvlb on Wed Sep 28, 2011 at 07:20:05 PM PDT

•  For me (7+ / 0-)

it was a history professor at a christian-related college announcing that it was impossible to be a Christian and a Republican at the same time.

Frankly, I blame everything on Nixon.

by J Orygun on Wed Sep 28, 2011 at 10:14:26 PM PDT

•  Maybe. (2+ / 0-)
        Josiah Bartlett, frankzappatista

I will admit to having evolved a bit in my own views over time when I was young, as did some other people I know. That being said, I probably know more people who did NOT change in their political views during and after college than did. I think anyone is capable of changing their politics radically (David Brock, anyone?) but it typically doesn't happen overnight. It's usually an accumulation of different things that eventually flips them. One experience usually isn't enough even for a young person, and in the case of some older people NO amount of experience is enough sometimes.

And I don't really recognize much of myself in a 19-year old wingnut because I never was one. I was much smarter than that long before that age, even if I didn't quite grasp the whole range of political ideology and movements yet. I know because I remember thinking what distasteful morons the Young Republicans all were when I was in college. I didn't yet consider myself a full-blown liberal (I thought I was more of a "moderate" at the time) but it was more a matter of finding a label than anything else. You would have had to have been a moron to want to hang out with the YRs.

•  My thinking is much the same as (1+ / 0-)
          johnva

yours. The card-carrying YR's are a difficult salvage job. But fortunately they are their own worst enemy. For more self-aware, image-conscious college kids the YR's give them serious pause. Their mere presence converts more kids from republican to independent than vice versa. Most students are sensitive to the fact that republicans want to slash education funding. It's not until they get older, and it no longer matters to them, that they seem to forget this.

by frankzappatista on Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 03:43:52 PM PDT

•  frank, all those old conservatives came (1+ / 0-)
        frankzappatista

from somewhere. They all mostly, went through college but too many capped it off with business school.

My law school classes were full of sweet young things that simply could not believe anything but their own upbringings myths.

Harvard has a course called "Justice" which has its classes on line. You ought to listen to the discussions especially the one one abortion, for the absolute refusal to comprehend facts and the idea that other people with a different view had any validity and, it must be said, any Justice on their side.

I'm asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... *I'm asking you to believe in yours.* Barack Obama

by samddobermann on Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 09:51:30 AM PDT

•  When I was in college in the 70's (0+ / 0-)

I took an Ethics class. The class discussions then were about abortion and euthanasia. There was a female student in the class that refused to participate in discussions regarding abortion. She would leave so that she did not have to try and wrap her mind around a topic she could not digest. No doubt a RR holier than though "Christian".