View Diary: Portlanders say "NO" to War Criminals (21 comments)

•  it's very cool of you to register your objections (2+ / 0-)
    Lujane, chimene

but without more knowledge of the general political atmosphere around PSU and the purpose of this awards dinner, it's hard for an outsider to evaluate exactly how inappropriate this is.

If this were an international relations-themed event at a school full of neoliberals, her invitation would make sense. My (limited) understanding of Portland leads me to expect that scenario is not the case here.

Either way, I like the closing photo.

"You try to vote or participate in the government/ and the muh'fuckin' Democrats is actin' like Republicans" ~ Kweli -8.00, -6.56

by joey c on Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 09:55:20 AM PDT

•  psu (4+ / 0-)
      BOHICA, Damnit Janet, shaharazade, Lujane

has a generally liberal student body.

48forEastAfrica - Donate to Oxfam (The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers)

by Laurence Lewis on Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 10:02:04 AM PDT

•  War Criminals (7+ / 0-)

don't get a free pass from me.

No matter where they are.

I love the photo.  I hope the next one is of me and my hands in front of her face.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." ~Jimi Hendrix

by Damnit Janet on Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 10:05:21 AM PDT

•  i'm not saying they should. (1+ / 0-)
        Damnit Janet

i thought it was cool you wrote  a letter of protest, remember? See my reply to shaharazade below.

by joey c on Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 01:20:52 PM PDT

•  So if war criminals (1+ / 0-)
      Damnit Janet

are neocon and neoliberals it's okay to let them spout and flout their criminality? Jeeze a war criminal is a war criminal regardless of what they call it. Why are they able to run around lose let alone given equivalency by speaking in our public institutions?

•  Exactly! (1+ / 0-)
        shaharazade

Thank you very much.

by Damnit Janet on Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 12:57:26 PM PDT

•  there's been a misinterpretation here (0+ / 0-)

I have no brief for war criminals. i'm in favor of prosecuting most of the former administration, and given the current administration's failure to uphold their solemn treaty obligations to do so, i don't have a lot of respect for them either.

but i also recognize that a lot of people disagree with me, and that those people are entitled to their opinion even if i strenuously disagree with them, and that those people are in positions of power in some institutions such that they could arrange to invite someone I suspect to be (remember: presumption of innocence) a war criminal to speak at an event.

maybe you want to keep your powder dry for the people who actually disagree with you...

by joey c on Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 01:19:38 PM PDT

•  My powder is (2+ / 0-)
          Damnit Janet, BOHICA

dry.  Suspect to be? .i don't really think we agree at all. They maybe entitled to their opinion but validating their opinions as just a difference of ... is what normalizes the disregards of civil and  human rights. Opinion does not drive the  law that mankind has developed to contain this kind of aggression and inhumanity. I so want to break Godwin's law here  but know that you would only write me off as someone unreasonable with a different 'opinion' then the sociopath's who seek to normalize the unthinkable in order to make this an acceptable 'opinion'.

•  I do not understand why (0+ / 0-)

you are picking nits with me about how sure I am that Cheney is a war criminal. I contacted all my representatives from the House to the White House requesting that they initiate proceedings against Bush administration officials for crimes including unlawful detainment, torture, lying about intelligence and unlawful spying on Americans.

I don't know what Godwin's law has to do with this - the fact of the matter is that war criminals, whether from Rwanda or Yugoslavia or Liberia, also have a presumption of innocence (see pg. 213), and my use of the word suspect was only meant to imply that - perhaps you would prefer "alleged", which I considered but declined to use because no one in a position of power has actually made such an allegation.

By the by, given your concern with these types of crimes, are you righteously disturbed about how the US just assassinated two of our own citizens without even the pretense of due process?

by joey c on Fri Sep 30, 2011 at 09:06:01 AM PDT

• Recommended (120)
  • Community (58)
  • 2016 (44)
  • Elections (37)
  • Environment (35)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (32)
  • Republicans (31)
  • Hillary Clinton (30)
  • Barack Obama (27)
  • Law (27)
  • Iraq (27)
  • Civil Rights (25)
  • Jeb Bush (24)
  • Climate Change (24)
  • Culture (22)
  • Economy (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Bernie Sanders (17)
  • White House (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site