View Diary: The Left Drops the Ball (244 comments)

•  i wouldn't care (0+ / 0-)

if i had ever heard one single actual hippie use the phrase.  but hippies don't tend to whinge, so...

i dunno...why does there need to be a special term for people not digging liberal politics?  maybe our language and discourse could do with a little less militaristic/violent imagery?

peace

My goal is to make the world safe for anarchy. - 4Freedom

by Cedwyn on Sat Oct 01, 2011 at 07:01:12 AM PDT

•  Oh I come from a long line of hippies (12+ / 0-)

My Mom and Aunt were in Haight Ashbury in '67. My Aunt (same Aunt) moved to Montana - deep into the woods and they built there own home (eventually, our whole family ended up in Montana). My Mom - total hippie who never sold out - is the one who got me using the phrase. It's not at all against the hippies, it's against the hippie punchers.

Atrios uses it, Digby uses it - I think they're both of that generation and I betchya they were hippies.

Thousands of years ago the question was asked: 'Am I my brother's keeper?' That question has never yet been answered in a way that is satisfactory to civilized society. ~ Eugene V. Debbs

by PlutocracyFiles on Sat Oct 01, 2011 at 07:07:01 AM PDT

•  i get that it's against the "hippie punchers" (0+ / 0-)

and not an intended as a slight to hippies.

but the presumption of victimhood is what makes it offensive to hippies.  and why is an entire ethos/outlook on life being co-opted to make entirely unrelated political points?

"left" and "liberal" are not synonymous with "hippie."  one can be the former while having nothing whatsoever to do with the latter.

i think digby and atrios are younger than you think and if either one of them is a hippie, i'm the tooth faerie.

peace

My goal is to make the world safe for anarchy. - 4Freedom

by Cedwyn on Sun Oct 02, 2011 at 06:08:23 AM PDT

•  I'm not sure that most English speakers (19+ / 0-)

agree with your definition of "actual hippie".

My old man is a vet who got his ass kicked by pigs for protesting an unjust war.  He lived on a commune for a good while.  Was broke all of his life in no small part because he refused to work for the murder machine while living in a military town.

Beard to his belly and hair halfway down his back, still wearing overalls everyday into the late 90's, and pigs pulled guns on him more than once because of it.

Kinda guy who'd spend the food budget on seeing the Dali Lama...and who has never seen a war he hasn't protested.

He uses it.  And frankly, I've seen his scars and I'm going to take his definition of the word hippie a hell of a lot more seriously than I'll ever take yours.

President Perry announced that noted terror promoter Noam Chomsky, whose works are believed by the Administration to have inspired terror around the globe, was killed in a drone strike as he ventured out of his Icelandic bunker.

by JesseCW on Sat Oct 01, 2011 at 11:17:47 AM PDT

•  Thank you from this old "hippie". eom (5+ / 0-)

Progress occurs when courageous, skillful leaders seize the opportunity to change things for the better. -- Harry S Truman

by YucatanMan on Sat Oct 01, 2011 at 12:26:56 PM PDT

•  Ah yes, there is the word, "courageous". I havn't (7+ / 0-)

seen any courageous people in our political system lately.  The system hates courage and weeds out those people early because they are a danger to the wealthy and the status quo. It seems money trumps courage and everything else in our twisted society because, we, the people, allowed the wealthy (corporations and bankers) to buy the government  Why did we allow it ?  Mostly apathy and ignorance.   So where would a courageous skillful person come from ??????  It can't come from our political system.  That person must come from the people.  And some day it will.  When the political class screws things up enough (and they will because of their nature) and the people are suffering badly enough, leaders will come forth to lead the people.  And they will say to our country's leader, (the president and company) NOW GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE, and it will not be a wish or a request.  Then the arrogant leaders will call in the troops.   But the army will say, hey we can't shoot everyone.  Besides, the people have a valid point.  And dam, we are the people too.  Just ask the previous leader of Egypt how it works.

•  you have no idea how i define hippie (0+ / 0-)

and wtf does your uncle have to do with the topic at hand?  your uncle is a hippie and that proves...what, exactly?  i've protested wars...i've done commune life here and there.  now what?  hell someone even told me once that there aren't any hippies anymore.  maybe that was you?

My goal is to make the world safe for anarchy. - 4Freedom

by Cedwyn on Sun Oct 02, 2011 at 06:01:29 AM PDT

•  My uncle? What? (0+ / 0-)

You, Cedwyn, made an utterly false assertion about "real hippies" and what they do or do not say.  Do you still remember what this conversation was even about?

That your assertion was rebutted is no reason to  start going on about how you went to a permitted protest  and stayed on the approved civil obedience route, or the weekend you spent visiting a commune.

Or attributing bizarre inaccurate statements to me.

by JesseCW on Sun Oct 02, 2011 at 08:43:40 AM PDT

•  The entire fricking point (6+ / 0-)

is that the people using the phrase aren't hippies.  It's that perfectly ordinary concepts like "The government should probably not let cities drown" are now so far left as to be considered outside the common discourse.

The two things Teabaggers hate most are: being called racists; and black people.

"It takes balls to execute an innocent man." -- anonymous GOP focus group member on Rick Perry

by Punditus Maximus on Sat Oct 01, 2011 at 11:44:18 AM PDT

•  Actually I use the term (3+ / 0-)
      JesseCW, Rick Aucoin, alizard

and I am one of those prius driving, farmer's market shopping, midtown living, organic eating, urban hippies.

#Occupy Wallstreet - Politicians will not support the movement until it is too big to fail.

by Sychotic1 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 at 12:32:24 PM PDT

•  It does not get anymore militaristic than this: (2+ / 0-)
      gooderservice, JesseCW
      Wow!!! Jake Tapper Does a Head Count on Obama’s Hit List

I was shocked to find that kind right wing "kill! Kill! KILL!" crazy on this blog.

Not layin' that on you, just sayin'... "Didn't feel too good about it."

ePluribus Media