View Diary: Brooklyn Bridge Arrests: Lawyers, it's now on us (242 comments)

•  Hopefully it will cost them money (1+ / 0-)
    ER Doc

Given the impossibility of putting NYC in jail, fines will have to do.

In my avatar, the blue bars show how many want Reps who COMPROMISE; the aqua bars show who wants Reps who STAND FAST no matter what. (Left=Overall; Center=Democrats; Right=Republicans.) And there's the problem!

by Seneca Doane on Sat Oct 01, 2011 at 05:24:40 PM PDT

•  We live in different realities. This New Yorker (1+ / 0-)
      Justanothernyer

disagrees with your sudden and intense dislike for my city.

"[R]ather high-minded, if not a bit self-referential"--The Washington Post.

by Geekesque on Sat Oct 01, 2011 at 07:02:24 PM PDT

•  I like New York plenty (6+ / 0-)

I'd like its police force to stop tramplong people's civil rights.  Asking nicely hasn't worked; maybe fines will.

by Seneca Doane on Sat Oct 01, 2011 at 08:24:41 PM PDT

•  Oy, this isn't the Freedom Rides. (0+ / 0-)

The biggest atrocity was a few people getting pepper sprayed.

"[R]ather high-minded, if not a bit self-referential"--The Washington Post.

by Geekesque on Sun Oct 02, 2011 at 10:13:52 PM PDT

•  Very lawyerly response (0+ / 0-)

Do I correctly infer that it if ain't the Freedom Rides, it ain't worth worrying ourselves over?

Did you have a similar response during the 2004 Republican convention?

I would not insult you by suggesting that you don't actually understand that this issue here is the use of police power to stifle legitimate protest.  Yes, I'm glad that they used Flex-Cuffs rather than truncheons.  It doesn't make it acceptable.

by Seneca Doane on Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 12:30:41 AM PDT

•  Objectively, this looks like cops did a poor job (0+ / 0-)

of crowd control by the cops along with poor judgment on the part of those arrested "I really thought the police wanted us to shut down traffic."

Crowds are unpredictable things, and combine that with people in a roadway and you had a potentially dangerous situation.

The amount of of damages awarded to people arrested on a Saturday night for blocking traffic on the Brooklyn Bridge and released the next day will be $0.00.

"[R]ather high-minded, if not a bit self-referential"--The Washington Post.

by Geekesque on Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 05:01:54 AM PDT

•  So you attribute this to the marchers: (0+ / 0-)

"I really thought the police wanted us to shut down traffic"?

I'm sorry, but I can't believe that you're arguing in good faith.  As you know, it happens.  I'd rather believe that than to think that you think that the circumstances of their having stayed on the sidewalk all the way to bridge and then filed into the bottleneck of the pedestrian bridge before following the police, without audible warning for the vast majority of the crowd, onto the two lanes of the roadway that had already been shut down.

I thank you for offering a taste of what sort of response a lawsuit might face.  Do read the first-person "I was arrested" diary from eqqman to get a taste of how well the cops dealt with this dire emergency when it came to processing those under arrest.  They were throwing tinder on the fire here, but the tinder refused to burn.

by Seneca Doane on Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 08:12:25 AM PDT

•  Nothing in that account struck me as (1+ / 0-)
                  Seneca Doane

surprising.   By all accounts, there was a great deal of confusion.

But, common sense dictates that when the protest route is the walkway, that you stay off the roadway.

As I said, the cops did a poor job of informing the vast majority of people to stay off the road, and probably passively gave them the impression it was alright.

"[R]ather high-minded, if not a bit self-referential"--The Washington Post.

by Geekesque on Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 01:01:45 PM PDT

•  "you stay off the roadway ..." (0+ / 0-)

... unless the cops appear to indicate that, given the size of the march, they have closed off part of the roadway to facilitate its speedy passage.  That will be the issue.

by Seneca Doane on Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 08:20:04 AM PDT

•  I don't think (4+ / 0-)
        Seneca Doane, Lujane, jeopardydd, rmx2630

the comments are personal at all.  If what is being done is wrong, it is--NYC or anywhere else.

The federal government is basically an insurance company with an army. Paul Krugman

by Heart of the Rockies on Sat Oct 01, 2011 at 09:23:14 PM PDT