View Diary: Brooklyn Bridge Arrests: Lawyers, it's now on us (242 comments)

•  I'm OK with being asked (2+ / 0-)
    rhetoricus, SeaTurtle

I won't ask people to unrecommend, but with this off of the Rec List it doesn't matter.  I do hope that people rec the mothership.

In my avatar, the blue bars show how many want Reps who COMPROMISE; the aqua bars show who wants Reps who STAND FAST no matter what. (Left=Overall; Center=Democrats; Right=Republicans.) And there's the problem!

by Seneca Doane on Sun Oct 02, 2011 at 02:54:21 PM PDT

•  SeaTurtle's right, I blew it (2+ / 0-)
      SeaTurtle, Seneca Doane

..apparently I was living in DK3 "Mothership" mentality. I meant no offense, Seneca. Sorry I asked you to unrec.

Thanks for being nice about it.

Btw, how is your friend Baculum King doing?

If you can find money to kill people, you can find money to help people. --Tony Benn

by rhetoricus on Sun Oct 02, 2011 at 03:09:38 PM PDT

•  I think this question of organization is an imp. (2+ / 0-)
        rhetoricus, Seneca Doane

one.  I had a long trip today and I spent a lot of the 4 hour drive of that time thinking about OWS.

These are some of my rambling thoughts, if I may share.

First off, it seems to me that this is a new type/model of demonstration.  It pains me to admit my age and that I was in the 60's demonstrations, but I was.  At that time, I met some people who were in some of the known anti-Vietnam groups who told me ahead of time, "watch Milwaukee draft offices in 3 weeks" or "there will be a demonstration in x city in a couple of months."  I do not know how many demonstrations were spontaneous or how many were planned, but a lot were planned.  There was nothing wrong with that planning and organizing which did take place.

Yet it seems that we are dealing with a different animal today.  Like the Egyptian Uprising, the new techonology and social media has made it possible for a truly grass roots demonstration to take place.  (Not like the astroturf of the corporate Tea Party.)  The 'flash mobs' are truly children of the Twitter.

I have studied group behavior and am a history buff, and I believe that the 'organization' for the movement needs to come from those involved.  Clearly the paradigm with which we have been working in this country has imploded on itself.  If this generation and group can alter that paradigm enough to actually get something constructive done, it will be a miracle.  I watch with great admiration the "General Assembly' efforts of OWS.

At the same time, I hear pundits saying "what are their demands?" "this first official statement is poorly written," "they need to organize" and it seems to me that the pundits simply want to put them into a box, so they can slice and dice them.  The pundits want this demonstration to be like all the other demonstrations with which they are familiar; the pundits can't see change happening before their eyes.  I believe it is different.  I was shocked to read the otherwise 'pure gold' Nick Kristof criticizing their first statement.

But what is happening is that they have found a way to reach a consensus with a plurality of points of view.  And I think that is an amazing thing.  We need plurality for the next election and for working on all the common world problems that we have. And clearly we have to find new ways to approach that plurality.   (Working with a Plurality does not equal to making compromises with a partner who is not interested in working cooperatively, such as the Tea Party....)

I hopefully believe that their group process will lead the demonstrators to a form of organization that will express their generational approach to problem solving (I realize that there are several generations represented,) and I stand ready to provide them with whatever support I can.  I will give it to them, on their own terms, as long as they remain non-violent, don't break the law knowingly and maliciously and the approach seems viable.

So, for those reasons, I think we should refrain from all the urges to 'organize them' or 'categorize them' or 'get them to write more clearly,' etc.  They will work this out.  This includes trying to herd the cats right now into one diary on DK.  I just hope that they don't capitulate to the media pressure for 'sound bites,' and import a form of organization from 'the pundits/experts' which will necessarily be hierarchical... and viola, we will be back at square one of oppression of a group by an elite.

However, on the other hand, I do think that there is a huge opportunity for us to organize and to offer support as a "Resource."  A Resource that is ready and able to provide expertise that is needed.  Our "Resources" can be organized up the whazoo, to be ready for use as needed by OWS.

To me that is what this fine diary is about.

I belong to the “US” of America, not the “ME,$,ME,$,ME,$,ME,$” of America!

by SeaTurtle on Sun Oct 02, 2011 at 04:34:03 PM PDT

•  I've written him as have others (1+ / 0-)
        rhetoricus

and no one has reported hearing anything back.

by Seneca Doane on Sun Oct 02, 2011 at 05:23:45 PM PDT

•  That's so disturbing. (0+ / 0-)

How do we find out about him, I wonder?

by rhetoricus on Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 09:52:02 AM PDT

•  His sister posted here in one of my earliest (1+ / 0-)
            rhetoricus

reprints of his diary.  She might know.

by Seneca Doane on Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 10:07:18 AM PDT

• Rescued (21)
  • Health Care (20)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • International (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site