View Diary: The Private Detention Camps WERE BUILT In Anticipation of OccupyAmerica- UNIONS It's Time To Step Up (45 comments)

•  Wow, that's crazy. (4+ / 0-)
    calistan, worldlotus, importer, farlefty

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

•  Just a few things to think about... (4+ / 0-)
      •  I think ... (1+ / 0-)
        farlefty

that most of those arrested won't even spend a night in jail, much less time in prison ... which requires a sentence of more than a year's time to be served.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein

by Neuroptimalian on Sat Oct 01, 2011 at 05:59:57 PM PDT

•  There were 400 arrested today... This is a growing (3+ / 0-)
          mookins, farlefty, JonBarleycorn

resistance movement spreading across the country.  Once the arrests get to be 600, 700, 800, 1,500, many of the people arrested are likely to find themselves in these private for-profit prisons, even if for one night.

Why do you think these companies have been lobbying (buying off) government officials so hard?

•  Not for this. eom (1+ / 0-)
            farlefty

by Neuroptimalian on Sat Oct 01, 2011 at 06:27:27 PM PDT

•  You do the movement a disservice (1+ / 0-)
            elmo

by declaring so loudly your inability to distinguish between jails and prisons, and misdemeanors and felonies.  The protestors do not need to fear being sent to prison for civil disobedience; please stop lying to them; please stop discouraging them through fear; please stop with the conspiracy theories -- they're a blight on the community, and forbidden by the site's rules.

---
            I look at you all; see the love there that's sleeping. - G.H.
            I really love a lot, but I fight the one's that fight me. - M.I.A.
            Obama 2012

by hey mister on Sun Oct 02, 2011 at 03:46:31 AM PDT

•  history teaches us that it isn't crazy (10+ / 0-)

Detention camps have been used repeatedly in various authoritarian regimes to hold opponents of the regime. Some examples: Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, Chile under Pinochet. We even interned Japanese citizens in camps during WWII, right here in America.

It is a tried-and-true method, and it works. There's no reason that the oligarchs of America wouldn't use it to quash dissent, once it came down to it.

And as to the objection that it can't happen here and now: let's just say that if the president of the United States is claiming an absolute right to summarily execute an American citizen without any pretense of due process, the day of reckoning is not far off.

"In America, the law is king." --Thomas Paine

by limpidglass on Sat Oct 01, 2011 at 04:04:02 PM PDT

•  Not far at all... We're almost there. (3+ / 0-)
        SeaTurtle, mookins, farlefty
        •  your message is essential (7+ / 0-)

frankly thoughts similar to yours have been in the back of my mind....

I am so concerned that there will be agent provocateurs who will lead the demonstraters to break some sort of law and then kapow!  they will be arrested and the rest will be history.

Thom Hartmann echoed these sentiments as well.

We forget Naomi Klein's lesson of Shock Doctrine to our detriment.

I cannot help but feel that the public is being manipulated on puppet strings.  But I still believe that with the power of the new technologies, we may still be able to cut those strings

However, your alarm to respond immediately is essential.

Please keep posting this diary.

I think that a OWS website needs to be set up to receive and store in a library all cellphone videos of any action taken by the police that can be preserved and used in defense and also for journalistic purposes.

Secondly, I believe that a legal OWS website needs to be set up immediately, with each state of OWS demonstrations represented, with ACLU guidance and legal guidance to demonstrators so that they will not be intimidated by the plutocracy.

Seneca D has an important diary up:

calling all lawyers on deck to help OWS

These would be concrete places to start.

Thanks for this diary.

I belong to the “US” of America, not the “ME,$,ME,$,ME,$,ME,$” of America!

by SeaTurtle on Sat Oct 01, 2011 at 05:46:25 PM PDT

•  oh, and perhaps we ought to set up a (3+ / 0-)
            Ray Pensador, mookins, farlefty

another OWS website tracking the prisons and their 'for profit' chicanery and how and if any of our people get in their grips.

If they know we are watching and will bring the sunshine of media, then hopefully they will not be able to operate unchecked.

I belong to the “US” of America, not the “ME,$,ME,$,ME,$,ME,$” of America!

by SeaTurtle on Sat Oct 01, 2011 at 05:48:33 PM PDT