View Diary: I am a Jew. I am a Democrat. I support the President. Let me be counted. (123 comments)

•  It was marriage equality more than anything else (16+ / 0-)

but the media spun it as Israel because "The Democrat lost because of insufficient support of Israel" sounds less damning toward Republicans than "The Democrat lost because he wasn't a bigot"

•  And that is a district... (9+ / 0-)

where that makes a difference.  An even split of the Orthodox vote (I believe Orthodox Jews comprise about 10% of the district's voters) would have led to a narrow Weprin victory, most likely.  That was most likely even further exacerbated by the fact that we tend to have higher turnout than the population at large.  I don't think any exit polling was done, but I wouldn't be surprised if while only roughly one-third of the district, Jewish voters were a larger percentage of the electorate, particularly in a low-turnout special election.  Similarly, I wouldn't be surprised if those self-identifying as Orthodox were larger than the roughly 10% share of the district they comprise.

Please read our community letter and support our efforts to clean up this site.

by Mets102 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 at 06:14:21 PM PDT

•  because it HAD to be about Israel (1+ / 0-)
      fizziks

because G-d forbid that the media should call any fundamentalist religious group bigoted. Rephrasing to call this spade a spade.

All it takes is security in your own civil rights to make you complacent.

by Dave in Northridge on Wed Oct 05, 2011 at 09:39:40 PM PDT

•  So blame Ed Koch for that (1+ / 0-)
      crankyinNYC

This analysis requires explaining him away.

I note also that the anti-gay-rights attack on him could have (and I think was at least in part) both motivated by and successful because it was a way of attacking Weprin without taking the open route that Koch took.  Koch, of course, could not take the "anti-gay pretext" route that Hikind eventually took.

Still, I'm glad to see this diary.  But I hope you and mets102 will tell me: would this analysis still hold if Obama did not use to Security Council veto to block Palestinian statehood?  I'd like to think that it would -- and that Obama is therefore free to do so.  But I keep hearing otherwise.

In my avatar, the blue bars show how many want Reps who COMPROMISE; the aqua bars show who wants Reps who STAND FAST no matter what. (Left=Overall; Center=Democrats; Right=Republicans.) And there's the problem!

by Seneca Doane on Wed Oct 05, 2011 at 09:57:51 PM PDT

•  I believe that it would be for Koch indeed (1+ / 0-)
        Seneca Doane

Making SSM an issue would be asking for it on his part;  rumor is that the man is in the closet, and even after retiring from politics, remains so.

You can't govern if you can't tell the country where you are taking it. The plot of Obama's presidency has been harder to follow than "Inception." -- F. Rich

by mbayrob on Wed Oct 05, 2011 at 10:16:32 PM PDT

•  Both Kochs are married with (0+ / 0-)

children. Not that that necessarily defines sexual identity or gender choice.

I'm asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... *I'm asking you to believe in yours.* Barack Obama

by samddobermann on Sat Oct 08, 2011 at 04:42:43 AM PDT

•  Not Edward Irving "Ed" Koch (0+ / 0-)

I think you're thinking about the two conservative brothers Koch, of Dutch descent and Protestents.  But Ed Koch, the Jewish former mayor of NYC, has never been married, and does not comment about his sex life:

What do I care? I'm 73 years old. I find it fascinating that people are interested in my sex life at age 73. It's rather complimentary! But as I say in my book, my answer to questions on this subject is simply Fuck off. There have to be some private matters left.

by mbayrob on Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 03:34:53 PM PDT

• Recommended (133)
  • Community (67)
  • Elections (33)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • 2016 (29)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • Labor (20)
  • Economy (19)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Marriage Equality (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site