View Diary: The Jobs agenda (185 comments)

•  Jobs was a great inventor who did a lot of harm (8+ / 0-)

I love apple products, and I grew up with Pixar films, but the labor conditions in Apple supply chains are the most horrible I've seen. I did a diary about the condition in an iPad factory here.

That's not to say that jobs was an evil black hearted man, he wasn't a Koch Brother. But he was part of an evil black hearted system.

I'm sure there is a system that we can think of that fosters creativity and innovation without creating massive wealth inequality and destroying democracy.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of overcoming it" Helen Keller

by Johnnythebandit on Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 04:49:00 PM PDT

•  Indeed,"there is a system that we can think of..." (0+ / 0-)
      ....where nobody has one exclusive sphere of activity but each can become accomplished in any branch he wishes, society regulates the general production and thus makes it possible for me to do one thing today and another tomorrow, to hunt in the morning, fish in the afternoon, rear cattle in the evening, criticise after dinner, just as I have a mind, without ever becoming hunter, fisherman, herdsman or critic.

I am off my metas! Präsidentenelf-maßschach; Warning-Some Snark Above"Nous sommes un groupuscule" (-9.50; -7.03)

by annieli on Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 04:53:06 PM PDT

•  Oh great. n/t (0+ / 0-)

Pareto Principle: 20% of the people do 80% of the work.

by jeff in nyc on Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 05:08:54 PM PDT

•  What's your solution then? (2+ / 0-)
          annieli, JesseCW

And if you say capitalism is fine the way it is, then I'd suggest you go move to China and work in an iPad factory.

by Johnnythebandit on Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 05:15:47 PM PDT

•  Do you honestly see no gradient between (1+ / 0-)
            highacidity

Randian anarchy and Stalinist dictatorship?

Pareto Principle: 20% of the people do 80% of the work.

by jeff in nyc on Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 05:21:21 PM PDT

•  I hate stalinism, which is why I oppose capitalism (3+ / 0-)
              annieli, JesseCW, WisePiper

Corporations are dictatorships where workers are lorded over by CEO's. I support an economic system based on worker coops where people make decisions democratically or by consensus.

The roots of our problems are these corporations which continue to corrupt the political process, impoverish people, and destroy the environment even in European countries that have much better regulations.

by Johnnythebandit on Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 05:38:41 PM PDT

•  What about capitalism is worth preserving? (1+ / 0-)
              JesseCW

And what parts of capitalism should be ended?

I know it's sometimes hard imagining an alternative, but there are many in existence.

by Johnnythebandit on Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 05:50:47 PM PDT