View Diary: The Jobs agenda (185 comments)

•  I actually agree with the libertarians on this one (4+ / 0-)
    Sparhawk, cocinero, bula, cosbo

He's done so much for mass communication (not just the products of the 2000s, but popularizing accessibility on the PC over the last 30 years) that he's done far more good than a generic CEO who donates to some cause without anyone knowing where the money ends up.

His products have improved the standard of living for everybody in a way that most charities don't.

"Only idiots believe the earth is getting warmer. Besides, they've proven it's only getting warmer because of sunspots."

by Carnet on Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 05:36:36 PM PDT

•  Improved standards of living for everyone? How??? (4+ / 0-)

Look, the guy was a genius and knew how to market. But, really, he isn't ready for sainthood.

There's a lot of this world that doesn't know an apple from a pc or an ipod from a pea pod. At least, you can eat a peapod. An ipod, not so much.

It's only water. What could go wrong???

by MrSandman on Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 05:47:59 PM PDT

•  And I'm in that 99%. (0+ / 0-)

Lovely stuff but can't afford the upgrade. Or the carriers. Or the hype.

It's only water. What could go wrong???

by MrSandman on Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 05:55:50 PM PDT

•  If you have a computer (8+ / 0-)

You've benefited from Steve Jobs. That's the point.

by Carnet on Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 06:13:36 PM PDT

•  I don't do macs (1+ / 0-)
            Ivan

They never had the software my business side needed when we had to choose.

For some, you may be right. For me, no.

Admittedly, today, you can cross-platform. But don't tell me I benefited from Steve Jobs. You aren't me and I haven't.

It's only water. What could go wrong???

by MrSandman on Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 06:57:17 PM PDT

•  The point is that without the Mac... (8+ / 0-)

...there would've been no Windows.

Granted, it also follows that without Xerox/PARC there would've been no Mac, but Xerox was content to let their GUI/Mouse technology gather dust forever.

•  Not true (0+ / 0-)

Gates was there at Xerox Parc and designed Windows after that, not the Mac OS.  Windows came out a month after the Mac and even consulted Jobs in designing the Mac OS and programed Office in both platforms.

Where there is no vision, there is no hope. George Washington Carver

by Amayupta yo on Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 09:58:31 PM PDT

•  Wrong (1+ / 0-)
                  cosbo

In a reality-based community, it is pretty much established fact that Jobs was the creator of the graphic interface (mouse-based interface) in personal computing.  MAC was the foundation for Windows, which has always been, and still is, a poor imitation.

Any other opinion on that fact is simply revisionist.

And, I couldn't care less how much of Jobs' money he gave away.  I assume he paid his taxes under whatever rates were in place for everyone at the time.  That was all he was obligated to do.  And (after 25 years of using PC's), everytime I turn on and use my new iMAC, with it's beautiful screen and solid workmanship, it's elegant and simple software that just works and doesn't get viruses, and doesn't ever crash or run slow, I think we owe him more than he owes us.

•  Steve Jobs Contribution to Computers (5+ / 0-)

I have never owned an Apple computer but was first introduced to computers by an apple 2 in the early eighties. It was one of main factors in me having a career in IT.

My view is that  one of the best benefits of Apple was bringing competition to both software and hardware which led to significant progress in the IT Industry and now we can include music, movies and communication.

In my opinion Steve Jobs is one of the people that has added value to society, so for me I don't include him in who I am protesting about.

And that's whats really good about the movement, is that we don't all have to have to be on the same page.

•  Sorry, but... (2+ / 0-)
            Funkygal, RandomNonviolence

...Steve Jobs is one of the players in this...but he's only one of several.

Like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs mostly took ideas from others and popularized and perfected those ideas.  And yet I don't see the same weird worshipping of Bill Gates.

Taking it even further, with Apple's focus on retaining control of everything through a combination of proprietary hardware and software, we would never have achieved the broad dissemination of computer technology that we've achieved thanks to Microsoft's broad licensing policy that pretty much spread Windows machines across the entire face of the planet.

I suspect that others can easily point to various figures who were equally (or more) significant in spreading technology to the masses as were Jobs and Gates.

Political Compass: -6.75, -3.08

by TexasTom on Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 07:42:37 PM PDT

•  Doesn't make him (1+ / 0-)
              TexasTom

insignificant at all.

The point is he did popularize those ideas. The Beatles popularized other people's ideas. FDR popularized other people's ideas. Elizabeth Warren is popularizing other people's ideas. These are Great Human Beings, not trivial opportunists.

Taking good ideas and making them mainstream is an underrated achievement.

Bill Gates gets a bad reputation because he has no "cool" factor (and because Microsoft is imperfect and powerful), but that's irrelevant. Bill Gates is one of the most important human beings that's ever lived and I'll absolutely mourn his death, not because I think he's a good guy but because he was a Great Human Being. It's personal pride for me that he was part of my species, part of this Earth legacy in some crazy way.

by Carnet on Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 08:00:34 PM PDT

•  I didn't say... (1+ / 0-)
                RandomNonviolence

...that either Steve Jobs or Bill Gates were insignificant.  Obviously, both of them had a great impact on the world.  And I agree that you're right about Bill Gates and the lack of "cool" factor.

My point, instead, is that both of them built their success on the work of others.  And there's nothing wrong with that...but some of the attempts to practically raise Steve Jobs up as some sort of saint are just over the top and seem to deny that reality.

Political Compass: -6.75, -3.08

by TexasTom on Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 08:07:56 PM PDT

•  Wasn't it IBM? (0+ / 0-)

I think you may be attributing something to Microsoft that should be attributed to IBM.  IBM was the company that built the first "IBM" PC and its architecture was open, published and easily available.  I'm not aware of any licensing policy of Microsoft's operating systems or application software that differed in any significant way from those of Apple.