View Diary: But what do they want? (93 comments)

•  It's a very short step from being against (1+ / 0-)
    Cartoon Peril

something to being for something.

Let's hope the coverage starts to focus on that.

Assent- and you are sane- Demur- you’re straightway dangerous- And handled with a Chain- - Emily Dickinson

by SpamNunn on Mon Oct 10, 2011 at 07:42:45 AM PDT

•  what are the 1% FOR, Spam . . . ? (1+ / 0-)
      happymisanthropy

Other than themselves.

•  Step A: "I am against your stealing my money." (4+ / 0-)

Step B: "I want you to give me back my money."

Something like that?

You have exactly 10 seconds to change that look of disgusting pity into one of enormous respect!

by Cartoon Peril on Mon Oct 10, 2011 at 07:52:41 AM PDT

•  the sad thing is that some Dems, particularly the (3+ / 0-)
        mightymouse, Cartoon Peril, catwho

pragmatists, are just as befuddled by it all, and continually demand a "specific list of demands" too.  I suspect what they are REALLY wondering is whether OWS will write letters to pass Dem Senate Bill blah blah blah or do GOTV for Dem Candidates X Y or Z in 2012.

They are just as oblivious as the rightwingers are.

•  When my children would scream, rant and cry as (1+ / 0-)
          Cartoon Peril

toddlers, I would calmly ask them what it is that they wanted, as I couldn't really tell, or respond to their needs, with all of the screaming going on.

It's not enough to march, carry a placard or beat a drum.    Tell them what you want.

I was watching Ken Burns' Prohibition last night.   The Anti-Saloon League figured this out.  They had but one simple issue, to make the sale or consumption of alcohol illegal.   They would tell politicians that they had been targeted and that, unless they voted to outlaw alcohol, they would vote them out.

Voila, the Volstead Act.

The Women's Christian Temperance Union marched and beat drums for years. They got nowhere.   The Anti-Saloon League focused on a single issue, and made it happen.

That's how it's done.  Not with drums and placards and sit-ins.

by SpamNunn on Mon Oct 10, 2011 at 09:19:39 AM PDT

•  your ignorance of history is staggering (2+ / 0-)
            SpamNunn, pot

But you already know that.

And again I'll say, if you really honestly absolutely have no idea whatever what the demonstrators want, not a friggin clue no sirree bob, then you're either deliberately obtuse, or dumb as a rock.

But maybe this will help you-------->

Everything that conservatives are terrified of . . .

Everything the rich have nightmares about . . .

Everything the rightwing has hated and vilified for the past fifty years . . .

That's what we want.

"CLASS WAR OH NOES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  (pees pants)

Get used to it.

•  I love you, Lenny. Love you. (0+ / 0-)

As long as you are alive, I know that I won't be the lowest man on the meanie totem pole.  [kiss]

by SpamNunn on Mon Oct 10, 2011 at 04:02:00 PM PDT

•  PS: I hold a doctoral degree from two great (0+ / 0-)

schools.

I think I know a bit about history.  I do more than sell history books.  I actually read them and understand them.

by SpamNunn on Mon Oct 10, 2011 at 04:05:34 PM PDT

•  Ha! Hey, Tea Partier, your "Take our country back" (2+ / 0-)
        Cartoon Peril, happymisanthropy

… needs to be refocused on Wall Street instead. Join OWS and together we'll "Take our money back." Come on, whaddaya say?

(Notice required by the Humor Clarification and Misunderstanding Avoidance Act of 2011: this is a rhetorical appeal to a hypothetical TP'er and is neither addressed to any commenter or diarist nor meant to imply that anyone on this thread is in fact a TP'er)

48forEastAfrica - Donate to Oxfam The Dutch kids' chorus Kinderen voor Kinderen wishes all the world's children freedom from hunger, ignorance, and war.

by lotlizard on Mon Oct 10, 2011 at 10:02:53 AM PDT