View Diary: Media Assuming Mormon Claims as Part of Christianity (189 comments)

•  Actually, Timaeus, I think it's contested. (5+ / 0-)
    HeyMikey, cai, davidincleveland, BYw, The Nose

Mormons consider themselves Christians.  Do they have a say in this?  Or just Christians who think Mormons aren't Christians?

•  Yes, of course it's contested. (1+ / 0-)
      SadieB

That means there are two sides.  The diarist is on one side, most Mormons are on the other.

Non-Christians don't have authority to decide which side is correct.

These are not judicial proceedings here. They are blog discussions.

It is a calling...to do things about injustice.... It helps to have a goal. I've always tried to have one.--Ted Kennedy, True Compass

by Timaeus on Tue Oct 11, 2011 at 02:31:32 PM PDT

•  Well, (2+ / 0-)
        davidincleveland, BYw

I'm not even sure about that.  In general, I'd err on the side of self-identification; you call yourself x, I'll let you be x.

But this conversation isn't just the 19th-century one about whether Mormons are Christians.  It's about what's appropriate in the context of media and politics.  And I'd err on the side of inclusivity there as well.  So I think it's completely appropriate for people who are non Christians to say "They look the same to me"  if that's their experience.  There's certainly an argument there.

So blog on with your bad self.

•  That's probably the mainstream view both here (1+ / 0-)
          ravagerofworlds2

and in the MSM:  religious beliefs aren't really serious, and everybody is free to believe whatever they want.

I knew a guy in college who was a big, blowhard, charlatan. He rented time on radio stations in Texas near the Mexican border and gave "sermons" where he pretended, in Spanglish, to be a Christian evangelist. Privately he'd get drunk and laugh his ass off about how stupid the people were who sent him money.

I think it's pretty reasonable for me to conclude he wasn't really a Christian, no matter how he self-identified on the radio.

Not the best example, I know, but I think there are lots of them.

The Christians have all, Catholic and Protestant and Orthodox alike, been saying for 2000 years that to be a Christian you have to believe a few basic things. Mormons deny those things, but still claim to be Christian. That approach has been quite effective in the United States, but it really doesn't make sense.

by Timaeus on Tue Oct 11, 2011 at 03:03:20 PM PDT

•  Mormons only date back to the 1800s (3+ / 0-)
      Timaeus, SadieB, ravagerofworlds2

there have Christians for 1800 years before they arrived.

So the definition of Christian obviously pre-dates them and the only question is do the teachings of their church fit within that existing definition.

•  Just the Christians who happen to agree with Tim. (0+ / 0-)

by gustynpip on Tue Oct 11, 2011 at 02:33:10 PM PDT

•  I'm (1+ / 0-)
      davidincleveland

I'm a Methodist. I think Mormons are Christians. I think this diary is actually HRable, but won't bother.

I am Zornorph; the one who comes by night to the neighbor's yard.

by Zornorph on Tue Oct 11, 2011 at 03:59:44 PM PDT

•  Wow. What a great example of erudition. (1+ / 0-)
        ravagerofworlds2

But you've done a good job of picking up on the politically correct sensibilities on this mainly anti-Christian site.

by Timaeus on Tue Oct 11, 2011 at 06:23:21 PM PDT

•  I think we're mostly anti-woowoo (0+ / 0-)

that's trying to pass itself off as The One And Only Absolutely Right And True Truth.

There ain't no such animal.

If it's
          Not your body
          Then it's
          Not your choice
          AND it's
          None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 01:50:56 PM PDT

•  so you are against facts? (0+ / 0-)

I'm sorry, but most of the people (including Zornorph up above) are making a very simple mistake. Let me illustrate.

Person A is a horrible person with terrible ethos. Person A asserts that gravity is true, which is why they did some of the terrible things. The crowd in response to Person A's actions, decide that gravity must not be true, because Person A said them.

That is what is happening.

Above Grecian mantles were chiseled these words... Know Thyself... Nothing in Excess... the pop philosophy of its day.

by ravagerofworlds2 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 at 12:51:20 PM PDT