View Diary: San Jose: Millions Withdrawn from Bank of America and Wells Fargo! (288 comments)

•  how are credit unions with (2+ / 0-)
    Senor Unoball, Odysseus

business accounts?  My wife is self employed, so we have enough coming in and out every month to avoid any fees at our current bank.

"I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemely swear.."

by cgvjelly on Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 07:48:56 AM PDT

•  Local bank in Nashville (7+ / 0-)

They're charging ATM/debit card fees, regardless of balance.  They'll charge it, $5 per month, no matter what.  It's got me thinking about moving to a credit union myself.

Grab all the joy you can. (exmearden 8/10/09)

by Land of Enchantment on Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 07:55:58 AM PDT

•  You're just thinking about it? (2+ / 0-)
        marsanges, Old Gardener

It's time for action. Just do it!

Links at end of diary to help you do research.

"I mean, it -- I mean -- and I tell somebody, I said, just because you have a group of scientists that have stood up and said here is the fact, Galileo got outvoted for a spell." -- Rick Perry, 9/7/11

by Senor Unoball on Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 08:10:04 AM PDT

•  I'm thinking I'll do that. (5+ / 0-)

I don't have any automatic EFT's set up at that bank.  (I also have an account in NM that shows to be suitably regional in NM.  Good thing because I know the people at the branch, and like them.  They've always been helpful over the years with the various accounts I've been attached to:  Power of attorney for an Alzheimer's patient; Treasurer of the irrigation district (complete with litigation and chaos), so I'm glad to stick with them.  Plus I've got several accounts on EFT there (electric bill and the like) so it would be a bigger chore to change it.

Move my Money website doesn't include a Credit Union I know of in my NM town.  At any rate:  I learned about that from the comments here.  I'd recommend a link right in your diary, too.  I'd have got to it faster, had it been there.  As it is, this has only been on my radar screen for a few minutes.  I've only got till tomorrow to get my taxes done, so moving the bank account will have to wait until next week.  That'll just have to be soon enough.

Grab all the joy you can. (exmearden 8/10/09)

by Land of Enchantment on Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 08:22:31 AM PDT

•  New Mexico Credit Unions (4+ / 0-)

In icebergslim's diary of last month, he provides a link to credit unions in all states.

Maybe this site lists one near you in New Mexico.

by Senor Unoball on Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 08:27:53 AM PDT

•  NM not an issue (2+ / 0-)
              Senor Unoball, Odysseus

My local bank there passes muster.  I'm p/t in two locations.  It's Nashville where the change is required.  One of the banks suggested by Move My Money just got bought by another bank.  I'm going to have to do some researches.  (After I do my taxes.)

And I think, actually, that going into a bank and explaining what's motivating me might be good.  Interview them.  Make them sell me on why/how they're a good local citizen bank, not part of the problem.

I'll even leave my bongo drums home!  (< /snark> since I don't have any.)

Grab all the joy you can. (exmearden 8/10/09)

by Land of Enchantment on Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 08:59:18 AM PDT

•  Nevermind (3+ / 0-)

It is there.  I didn't see it even when I looked for it.  Getting a slow, groggy start to the day.  Sorry!

Grab all the joy you can. (exmearden 8/10/09)

by Land of Enchantment on Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 08:23:56 AM PDT

•  You'll need to check with the CUs on that (4+ / 0-)

Links now up in diary to help research credit unions.

Find some good possibilities and then call them to find out about business accounts.

(And when you call, I'll bet you that almost every one of them will have a person answer the call, instead of the horrible phone systems that all large banks use!)

by Senor Unoball on Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 08:09:13 AM PDT

•  My CU is excellent for my business acct (3+ / 0-)
      Senor Unoball, cgvjelly, Odysseus

We've banked at a CU for many years and about 10 years ago I decided to try a sole proprietor business.  I went into my CU to open a business acct - no problem. They asked for a copy of my business license (and obviously they had the record of the history of our family acct with them).  The neat thing about the business acct is that the Visa acct. associated with it charges only 7.25% interest and that rate has NEVER in the 10 years I've had the acct. increased.   There are no "fees" associated with the account.  I pay the Visa acct every month before the due date and in 10 years I have never incurred one cent in fees with my credit union business acct.  Our family acct at the same credit union is very similar - no fees. We also pay the Visa acct associated with the family CU acct in full each month so we don't incur interest changes but the Visa interest rate in the family acct is slightly over 13%.  The rate varies slightly over time but not much.  It's a moot point for us since we don't carry a balance but charge acct. interest rates are important for many folks.

We use the Visa in both accounts for the same purpose - to autopay monthly bills. And we pay Visa in full every month. In twenty five years we have NEVER incurred any transaction/usage/fine print fees at our CU.  We will never leave them. I LOVE LOVE LOVE our credit union!