View Diary: 2. Update - Dr. Cornel West arrested at Supreme Court in Washington DC (321 comments)

•  A true hero of the people, that Dr. West... (5+ / 0-)

can't wait to see the speech.What an amazing story!

•  A true hero of which people? What has he done (12+ / 0-)

to qualify him to be a hero. No, I am really interested in hearing your answer.

Obama/Biden 2012! Help stop Troy Davis' execution on Sept. 21, 2011. https://act.colorofchange.org/donate/troydavis

by JoanMar on Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 05:27:38 PM PDT

•  He's not a hero in my book either (5+ / 0-)

I think he also is aware of the fact that white progressives seem to revere him? So it draws attention to him, but also to OWS. I'm waiting to hear more response on this from other AA folks though. That will be the ultimate arbiter of my point of view on this matter.

But as far as a publicity move, it will draw in some radicals toward OWS.

Nice to see you, Sis Joan! <3

Back to my work again.

"This movement is not about the destruction of law, it is about the construction of law." - Julian Assange

by mahakali overdrive on Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 05:37:02 PM PDT

•  I see I've found the POC thread. (2+ / 0-)
          mahakali overdrive, CaliSista

What, are all five of us here? :D

I'm not sure why we're wasting our time.

by lollydee on Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 06:06:29 PM PDT

•  I'm Jewish but I'd like to hear more (2+ / 0-)
            lollydee, doroma

from AA posters here. So far, you're right. The most vocal contentions are coming from the few non-white posters here. I'd like to hear from more AA posters, personally.

by mahakali overdrive on Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 06:55:38 PM PDT

•  Honestly? (5+ / 0-)

I'm having a difficult time verbalizing it.  We're all different folks, and not a collective mind, but there certainly is a vibe about OWS going through a lot of us in the AA community that is mixed, at best.

I haven't been on DKos much at all, mainly because the anti-Obama rage started taking on this personal, sometimes racist, edge that I expected from Tea Tards and not from Dems.

And to me, I'm looking at all the things he's been busting his ass at trying to do and wondering if some of these white folks thought he was a superhero who could eradicate hunger and fart justice.   It was almost like because he WAS the first black president he was held to a standard about twice as high as any of these folks held Clinton.  It's loyalty, yeah, but not just to the man.  It's loyalty because we've ALL been there.  We've ALL been hired by the 'progressive' boss who assesses us differently because of our race.  We've all been the 'feel good' scape goats for white guilt.  Even when I disagree with him - and I do... a lot...  It infuriates me to see these reactions from people who I thought better of.

So yeah. a lot to process.  Not very insightful, I know, but I'm trying to come up with a diary that makes sense of how a lot of us are feeling without belittling OWS and the concerns of others.

by lollydee on Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 07:06:00 PM PDT

•  Well, fair enough but (2+ / 0-)
                lollydee, mallyroyal

I don't think this has anything to do with Obama. I'm an OWS supporter AND a supporter of the President, who I feel like is a good President as far as Presidents go (I'm not a big fan of the concept, to be honest; I think he's been better than the others). I feel like it's a nonpartisan issue. Which is why it's catching fire globally. The issue to me is simple: global capitalism is a problem and is screwing everyone over. The most prone to that will be the most marginalized members of society.

I think there's a problem of diversity and inclusion though in the U.S. Movement, although I will also say that the two people whom I'm closest with who have been on the ground in NY are both VERY black! I say that in a joking tone because well, I don't know. One is a sort of surrogate brother to me, and we've talked about what he feels like being a black man in the U.S. for well over a decade of our friendship/soul-mate-ship. I also spoke a little with Denise Oliver-Velez, who is the BK editor, about this problem too. I don't know what the answer is though either. And I know that given that the movement is totally global, it's not a race-based issue. Although in the U.S. it could be that it's being underaddressed. Or maybe black folks are used to working their asses off and can't make it out in the same numbers? Although in NY, the diversity has been good, solid. In other places, like Atlanta, that was pretty pathetic. So what's going on there? I wondered about it.

I'd like to hear from her and others who have voiced skepticism about Dr. West. I think the general vibe is he's self-appointed and has tokenized himself? But I don't know.

by mahakali overdrive on Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 07:36:04 PM PDT

•  Why are making this about race? (2+ / 0-)
              pot, Agathena
          •  Six? :) n/t (2+ / 0-)
            mahakali overdrive, grover

"Someone just turned the lights on in the bar and the sexiest state doesn't look so pretty anymore" CA Treasurer Bill Lockyer on Texas budget mess

by CaliSista on Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 07:43:30 PM PDT

•  He's allowing his (1+ / 0-)
          sreeizzle2012

personal resentment and dislike for Barack Obama to interfere with his judgment. Notice that Al Sharpton is also a "for the people" community organizer but gets no love from folks here.  Why do you think that is? Because

1. Sharpton is openly supportive of President Obama
          2. Sharpton will not give anyone racial cover for their disguised antagonism towards the President.

Cornel West is the Herman Cain of the left.

•  LOL So predictable. (0+ / 0-)

#occupywallstreet "Either you taste, feel and smell the intoxication of freedom and revolt or sink into the miasma of despair and apathy. Either you are a rebel or a slave." -- Chris Hedges

by pot on Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 11:38:46 PM PDT

•  Hi there, MO! How are ya? (0+ / 0-)

Most of us are well aware that Cornel West only became attractive and attained his "hero" designation after he criticized the president in such a disrespectful manner.
          He questioned the president's manhood, his blackness and his strength of mind and purpose.
          That, and only that, was good enough to have him elevated to hero status in the minds of some.
          Well, they can have him because I guarantee you that he ain't no hero to ninety nine percent of black folks.
          Make him the hero all you want but don't you dare tell us who our leaders should be.
          The very gall!

by JoanMar on Mon Oct 17, 2011 at 09:53:16 AM PDT

•  He speaks truth to power. (3+ / 0-)

I'm not surprised that some people don't see that.  It happens a lot.

•  Why are those "some people" (6+ / 0-)

almost all black?

Is there something about being black that keeps people from seeing Dr. West's "Speaking Truth to Power"?

It doesn't seem strange to you that so many African-American people don't like Dr. West?

Why?

by mahakali overdrive on Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 07:51:28 PM PDT

•  Oh, and about Truth to Power (5+ / 0-)
            fou, begone, doroma, Cream City, missLotus

This man NAILS it. HERE is a black man whom I would call someone speaking TRUTH TO POWER. From last night's OWS police altercation.

That there, that's truth to fucking power.

by mahakali overdrive on Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 08:12:29 PM PDT

•  Due to our supposed "blind support" (1+ / 0-)
            grover

and "love" of all things Obama, we don't like Dr. West because he's not on the "plantation" with the rest of us.

In all seriousness, the funny vibe I get from the recent adoption of Cornel West by some individuals on DKos is because it only appeared AFTER he became a vocal critic of Obama. Were these same individuals dragging Cornel West forward to quote him on other topics? It just seems mighty convenient and unfortunately ties in with the group think meme many have about Black support for Obama.

Why wouldn't I question it when Cornel West's elevated status by some on the left looks suspiciously like Herman Cain's on the right? Kinda like this brotha isn't "brainwashed" or on the "plantation" like those OTHERS. "Let Herman Cain Cornel West be our front man to talk to those people. Maybe they'll accept it better from one of their own."

by CaliSista on Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 09:08:57 PM PDT

•  what truth? (1+ / 0-)
          JoanMar

that Obama's whitness means he is insensitive to black people's suffering?  (after all the good things I mentioned)

I don't think so.

•  I am not sure what Dr. West (0+ / 0-)

has done for the good of society other than give speeches and write books?