View Diary: 2. Update - Dr. Cornel West arrested at Supreme Court in Washington DC (321 comments)

•  Not a huge fan of Dr. West but (8+ / 0-)

what was he arrested for and don't the NYPD realize how much this could potentially galvanize more people to empathize with the 99%?

I want the details. Thanks for reporting on this. He has every right to his free speech; why was this impeded?

"This movement is not about the destruction of law, it is about the construction of law." - Julian Assange

by mahakali overdrive on Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 05:30:49 PM PDT

•  You don't want this guy linked with OWS... (11+ / 1-)

because he is inevitably going to turn it towards something self-serving and counterproductive.

Lets not have OWS become of the cause of rich professors from Princeton. You know..."We are the 99%" should mean something.

•  I think I'm veering toward agreeing with you (4+ / 0-)

my bias is sometimes toward Professors, given. However, you will never hear me lose any love for Cornel West. My great mentor, my greatest of great mentors, was an AA scholar who had met him in passing through sort of mutual work on scholarship and never had a nice word to say about him. I remember hearing bits and pieces of what he, another proud, strong AA man thought of Dr. West.

I don't know many AA folks who like him, to be frank.

And he is in the 1%.

But so is someone like Neil Gaiman or Salman Rushdie, and I fully appreciate their support. So it's not that. No. I think it's just what you say here: he's self-serving and this won't be the best PR other than for those who already probably support OWS?

Yeah?

I'm thinking this through. Slowly. I'm also trying to grade :/

by mahakali overdrive on Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 05:55:05 PM PDT

•  Academics are the enemy of the people. (2+ / 0-)
        Cream City, pot
        Lets not have OWS become of the cause of rich professors from Princeton.

We're all just a bunch of eggheads.

"If I can't dance, then I don't want to be in your revolution"--Emma Goldman

by ehrenfeucht games on Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 06:41:41 PM PDT

•  How about Russell Simmons (4+ / 0-)

Keith Olbermann, Paul Krugman, Tom Morello, etc.? All of them are likely in the 1%. Should people automatically be excluded for any reason?

I realize people are upset with West, but some of the things being said about him here would be reportable to management if said about anyone else.

This is all too pre-boycott. I'm out.

They always demand the biggest carrot and then offer to rent us the stick. Occupy!

by chuckvw on Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 07:29:06 PM PDT

•  Basically...yeah! (1+ / 0-)
          chuckvw

I mean if this is going to be a middle class and lower class movement, it cant be co-opted by rich and famous liberals.

So yeah. None of them.

•  Wouldn't the simplest way to avoid being... (0+ / 0-)

..."coopted" by them be to tell the cops not to arrest them?

It's hard to do a CD when the cops refuse to arrest you.

"If I can't dance, then I don't want to be in your revolution"--Emma Goldman

by ehrenfeucht games on Mon Oct 17, 2011 at 10:00:18 AM PDT

•  I don't think they should receive (0+ / 0-)

special treatment or any deference whatsoever, but everyone should be welcome.

But your point is well taken. Guys like Simmons and Kanye West, with the best of wills, cannot avoid being the center of media attention. Simmons and Morello in particular seem to be finding other ways to support the movement behind the scenes.

Also, artists, writers, and musicians have a vital role in any mass movement, because real mass movements are about changing the culture, not about specific elections, parties, or candidates, IMO.

by chuckvw on Mon Oct 17, 2011 at 12:53:59 PM PDT

•  Absolutely. (0+ / 0-)

A-freaking-men.

•  The NYPD has overseas anti-terrorism (4+ / 0-)
      mahakali overdrive, lollydee, grover, kurt

employees, but does not yet, to my knowledge, police the grounds of the US Supreme Court. :) Coming soon, perhaps!

He got arrested because he wanted to get arrested. (A skeptic might hypothesize that among DC-based police agencies, this one might be the least likely to hurt the arrestee.) Unlike the crowded sidewalks of NYC these days, there's a large area at the foot of the Supreme Court steps and beyond in which demonstrations are permitted and common. He was free to carry political signs. He was free to have a videographer capture his deathless prose while framing the Court directly behind him to make it clear where he was. If the video posted in the comments is accurate, it was a tiny gathering, so he had plenty of room to speak, march around with signs, whatever. But he wanted to get arrested, so he and others mounted the steps and started engaging in behavior – whether it was the speechifying or the sitting down isn’t clear, or perhaps he had signs that violated size restrictions -- that led the Court police to ask them to leave the steps.

I have no problem with anything I've so far heard that he did -- I think getting arrested on principle has a noble history -- but the idea that it somehow impeded his getting a message out strains credulity.

IMO, the restrictions pertaining to the steps made a lot of sense when the steps led to a working entrance/exit. Now that they don't, the restrictions are a little more questionable, but are probably still defensible on grounds of safety (imagine the crowd control you've seen in NYC played out on marble steps) and, to some extent, decorum (when there is a reasonable alternative as here).

•  SC steps makes me think Capitol police not NYPD. (1+ / 0-)
      mahakali overdrive

From the diary, apparently it is illegal to sign hold/stand/protest/etc. on the steps of the Supreme Court.

"Someone just turned the lights on in the bar and the sexiest state doesn't look so pretty anymore" CA Treasurer Bill Lockyer on Texas budget mess

by CaliSista on Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 07:47:41 PM PDT