View Diary: Will the Rs have a brokered convention this year? (132 comments)

•  No. This is a phony controversy. (12+ / 0-)

The strategy is to have a new front runner every few weeks, to make it look like a horse race and to parade the supposed diversity of the party.

It's Romney, always has been Romney, and will be Romney.

This is all about dominating headlines while the President is out trying to get just a fraction of the attention for jobs.

I am waiting in my car, I am waiting in this bar, I am waiting on your essence. - Lucinda Williams

by Bensdad on Wed Oct 19, 2011 at 07:35:12 PM PDT

•  No one is crazy enough to act that crazy (17+ / 0-)

I'm usually all for the most cynical and paranoid explanation of events, but I think your idea is just too neat and pat to hold up as an explanation for the R process so far this year.

If this were all an act, surely they would have hired better actors.  I haven't been able to stay with any of these debates for long, despite the expected entertainment value of one or another of them saying something really awful.  They must be really, really excruciating for anyone who actually believes in the other side's cause.

And if these things were just theater, surely they would pack the halls with a better audience.

Sure, you might see some benefit for their side from having many different other candidates than Romney each have their 15 minutes as the front-runner.  But whatever credit they're going to get among black voters, say, from Cain's rise, is going to be lost, perhaps with interest, after Cain's equally meteoric fall.  And for that dubious benefit, they have to subject their "real" candidate to months of very public electile dysfunction, the very humiliating inability to seal the deal with the R electorate.  Presidents are supposed to project calm command and mastery.  You really think they would purposefully put their real nominee in room after room with this bunch of ADD rejects from the normal kids' kindegarten homeroom?  If they did that, perhaps for contrast, they surely wouldn't let their guy get tomato sauce rubbed into his hair on live TV every week or so by the special needs kids.

I agree that Romney is probably going to be their nominee.  But the heartfelt desire of their base to deny him that nomination is obviously not at all fake.  No reasonable person would set out to fake that reluctance if it didn't really exist, in hopes of gaining the very dubious benefit of running a flavor of the week parade of frontrunners.  That's assuming that "they" could pull this off even if they wanted to, which they don't.

In some ways it's comforting to imagine that this craziness we're seeing this year has some ulterior explanation, that it's all the doing of some stringpuller somewhere.  Malevolent order can be less terrifying than facing the prospect that there is no order behind the chaos, that the other party really has jumped the tracks this year, and is completely out of control.  At this point, I have to vote for total loss of control, chaos, as more likely an explanation than devious stringpulling.

We should have destroyed the presidency before Obama took office. Too late now.

by gtomkins on Wed Oct 19, 2011 at 08:14:58 PM PDT

•  Eh, it sells cornflakes (5+ / 0-)

to have it look like a race. If the press doesn't get a up-set at every confrontation, they have to manufacture one.

Stop looking at this as serious electoral politics.

Look at it as a season on the WWF circuit.

They use the same caliber of actors, and the same ( near as I can tell) audiences. Plotlines make about as much sense.

And Oh! does the money flow.

•  Be as cynical as you want (6+ / 0-)

Seriously.  22 Presidential debates, promoted by Fox and CNN? If this isn't a way to dominate the news cycle and blot out the real stuff, I don't know what it is.

All it takes is security in your own civil rights to make you complacent.

by Dave in Northridge on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 07:52:32 AM PDT

•  Not only that. (2+ / 0-)
          Bensdad, gtomkins

The ridiculous chain of fake debates is a way to get the pastiche of conservative policy bumperstickers in the public mind and give them a sheen of legitimacy. By the time the election rolls around, voters will be looking at the difference between a couple of conservative policies thinking that's all the choice there is and progressivism will vanish yet again.

On, #Wisconsin! On, #Wisconsin! Stand up, Badgers, sing! "Forward" is our driving spirit, Loyal voices ring.

by Mr Bojangles on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 12:41:28 PM PDT

•  On the other hand (0+ / 0-)

It seems equally plausible to me to say that this never-ending parade of crazy vs crazier is establishing that the full spectrum of ideas that the Republicans have to offer only stretches from Insane to Demented.  They're busy establishing their brand, these debates are clearly marked "Republican".

They're only defining the Republican spectrum of thought, not the nation's.

We should have destroyed the presidency before Obama took office. Too late now.

by gtomkins on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 07:41:12 PM PDT

•  Making it up in volume (0+ / 0-)

According to the old joke, his accountant pointed out to the hapless merchant that he was losing $1 on every item of a certain product that he sold.  "Don't worry!", was the reply, "We'll make it up in volume."

Having 22 debates would be a great idea for them, if each one did their side even a little good.  But since they all make their side look like horses' rear ends...  You don't make it up in volume, you just dig the hole deeper.

Again, if this were all an act, the act would be better staged and produced.

We should have destroyed the presidency before Obama took office. Too late now.

by gtomkins on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 07:30:28 PM PDT

•  The TeaParty has painted the GOoPers into a corner (2+ / 0-)
        ColoTim, Idaho07

This is entirely new territory, and they just are not that resourceful.  Remember, Rove's bag of tricks only work when there is a cooperative audience.

Education is an expensive luxury. Intellectual curiosity is free.

by mojave mike on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 08:54:09 AM PDT

•  I agree (3+ / 0-)
        Deep Dark, Bensdad, gtomkins

for the most part, although I feel that you're being overly harsh on ADD and special needs kids, who are pretty wonderful to work with, generally speaking.  I'm not sure how one might diagnose the occupants of the stage at the Republican debates, but it goes far beyond anything I'd call a learning disability!

I'd say these prospective candidate "kids" weren't paying attention in kindergarten, when the teacher  explained the rules about sharing and being kind to one another.  They're still in the "ME! MINE!" stage, even when they know they're on camera.

•  Bensdad - You're giving the GOP WAY (0+ / 0-)

TOO much credit.

•  Bush v. Gore... (0+ / 0-)

....George Bush, George Bush re-elected in 2004. George Bush trashes the economy and then hands it to Obama.

Am I really?

by Bensdad on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 04:17:43 PM PDT

•  Interesting. You're usually quite rude to me. (0+ / 0-)

I'm surprised that I have to rec this.

"It's Romney, always has been Romney, and will be Romney."

Romney still is among the top in polling, and he still has Cain's money several times over, with the ability to self-finance even more.

"Hahai nō ka ua i ka ululā'au" -- Hawaiian proverb.

John Boehner? The sleaze bucket who hands out bribes from big tobacco on the House floor?

by Nulwee on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 09:41:32 AM PDT

•  You have me confused with someone else. (0+ / 0-)

I adore you.

• Rescued (18)
  • Media (16)
  • Politics (16)
  • Environment (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Texas (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site