View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Morning Digest: Ohio Democrats throw down redistricting gauntlet to Republicans (122 comments)

•  Wow. Hooray for my delegation (0+ / 0-)

I didn't think Al Carr and Ana Sol had it in them.
    I'll have to write them a note and maybe send them a small donation.
    I'm usually not so happy with my representation in Annapolis.

It's a crappy map, but hey--whatever the MD Democratic party wants, the MD Democratic party gets.

Being ignored is the difference between being a one percenter and an American.--sweeper

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 08:09:52 AM PDT

•  Crappy map? (0+ / 0-)

What's your problem with it?  You don't want to get rid of ol' Roscoe?

'An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.' -Mahatma Gandhi

by KingofSpades on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 08:24:37 AM PDT

•  If you're against it because of gerrymandering (0+ / 0-)

then let me say that I get where you're coming from, but Dems cannot disarm on this.  Besides, the bizarre shapes of the 2nd and 3rd are to: A. boost Dutch and Sarbanes B. maximize Baltimore's influence

'An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.' -Mahatma Gandhi

by KingofSpades on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 08:27:09 AM PDT

•  We've already had this argument with this poster (3+ / 0-)
        KingofSpades, andgarden, itskevin

Basically she's a big Donna Edwards supporter whose number one priority is minimizing the possibility that Edwards loses a primary to a PG county pol. The poster claims that a 7-1 would still otherwise be possible but never showed a politically palatable map that would do this and generally seems to believe that this is secondary to protecting Edwards to a primary challenge.

•  there've been plenty of better Maryland maps (4+ / 0-)

published here.

I changed by not changing at all, small town predicts my fate, perhaps that's what no one wants to see. -6.38, -4.15

by James Allen on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 08:43:44 AM PDT

•  8-0 and 7-0-1 were well-within reach (2+ / 0-)
            James Allen, itskevin

but not without upsetting the tender sensitivities of some PG and MontCo reps.

Ok, so I read the polls.

by andgarden on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 08:52:07 AM PDT

•  Well lets be honest (2+ / 0-)
              andgarden, SouthernLiberalinMD

8-0 isn't possible, but it's possible to get 7 and a swing district that Kratovil could win.  I'd settle for a stronger 7-1 map, push Bartlett's district higher than 56% Obama.

by James Allen on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 08:55:44 AM PDT

•  Well, there are no guarantees (1+ / 0-)
                James Allen

And, in fact, when you draw an 8-0 that attempts to reflect the realities of incumbency, you usually end up with 6-0-2. But I think that would be a defensible, worthwhile, map.

Ok, so I read the polls.

by andgarden on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 08:58:32 AM PDT

•  I don't think it was necessary (0+ / 0-)

to totally concede District 1.  As shown here, it could have been made at least somewhat competitive.

Regarding 6, what they produced is good but could be better.  I think a better idea from a COI perspective would be to put Rockville in it along with Gaithersburg, Montgomery Village, and Germantown to create a full I-270 corridor district instead of creating the odd looking tendrils of the 6th that reach to Aspen Hill and Potomac/western Bethesda (in particular, putting much of Aspen Hill into the 6th makes the 8th look odd and thinly connected.)

•  I didn't need to draw more maps as they were (2+ / 0-)
          itskevin, sapelcovits

already drawn, and I expressed support for at least one of them.

And no, it's not just Donna, and I've outlined the other reasons I don't like it.

But it's done, and so we'll move on with what we've got.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 11:25:01 AM PDT

•  I am also a big Chris Van Hollen supporter (0+ / 0-)

and his district now includes everything from the border of DC to the border of PA, and has "reduced the Democratic performance of the district by 12 percentage points" to quote an email I just got from him.  So much for being a team player, which he has been since he got into Congress.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 01:50:12 PM PDT

•  I don't want to boost Sarbanes influence (0+ / 0-)

I don't see why we should annoint legacy politicians to hold their fathers' seats.

That's one of my problems with this map.

But MoCo and Baltimore Cty are going to forever be in this battle, and so far, Baltimore always wins.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 11:23:52 AM PDT