View Diary: BREAKING-D.C. Citibank-Occupied (117 comments)

•  Is This Like Citibank's Headquarters in DC (7+ / 0-)

Or an invididual branch?

•  I'm not familiar enough with D.C. to know (9+ / 0-)

Can anyone else chime in and let us know what the 14+G building is?

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 10:33:42 AM PDT

•  From my knowledge of that area (8+ / 0-)

It is most likely just a branch, although there are many corporate offices in that area, so it could be more than just a branch.

•  It's a Citibank branch (17+ / 0-)

It's a couple blocks from my wife's office.

Unapologetic Obama supporter.

by Red Sox on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 10:44:05 AM PDT

•  14th and G is about a block away from the WH... (21+ / 0-)

...on the Treasury side.

That said, I don't know that it would necessarily be their DC headquarters... a lot of corporations have their DC-area HQs across the river (because the building codes in VA allow high-rises, unlike in DC) or uptown where the cost per square foot is lower.

by JamesGG on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 10:47:00 AM PDT

•  On the Treasury Side ... (23+ / 0-)

that's it. Closest Citi bank to Treasury Building? Get Timmy's attention?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; but in practice, there always is a difference. - Yogi Berra

by blue aardvark on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 11:00:34 AM PDT

•  TIMMMMEEEHHH!!!! (11+ / 0-)

If only Geithner were as cool as Timmeh.

Being ignored is the difference between being a one percenter and an American.--sweeper

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 11:43:12 AM PDT

•  no, probably just the attention (2+ / 0-)
            triciawyse, Horace Boothroyd III

of people who happened to want to use that particular branch for ordinary banking services.

"how" they've scored these profits isn't great, but i don't have any problem "that" they did so, especially as a taxpayer of their bond insurer.

"This world demands the qualities of youth: not a time of life but a state of mind[.]" -- Robert F. Kennedy

by Loge on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 12:51:44 PM PDT

•  research the banks Loge (5+ / 0-)

I have been screwed by banks and if people want to be upset by the reality of what happens at banks, then they just are going to have learn to live in the new world.  I remember when we at ACT-up had comments like yours... it was just laughed at as we are in this thing not to please the customers... let them realize that they are part of the problem.  It's a good education for them that shows their actions do have consequences... so I'd say to all customers whose banks are about to be targeted... get your money out and learn how your actions of support of citibank are causing harm to others.

Pass new laws to end media monopolization now.

by john from vermont on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 01:07:43 PM PDT

•  this is a cop out (0+ / 0-)

for one thing, saying i should research something i happen to know quiet a bit about is hardly an excuse for Occupy to avoid coming up with specific proposals for reform.  Indeed, the immediate step - a run on the bank - would do more harm than good.

if i'm supposed to research by reading the links in the story, i'd learn that the objection is to applying fees, being conservative in lending, and initiating foreclosure proceedings.  None of these things are, in and of themselves, troubling.  The particular manner in which foreclosures have happened is, but that's not the argument supra.  They got into the mess by lending too much, and now the problem is they're lending too little?  Why should they in the absence of decent prospects for growth.  Put another way -- to whom should they lend?  As far as the fees go, that's how banks made money before the restraints came off on how much leverage and financial innovation they could use, so you pick your poison.

i'm in no way advocating sticking with the status quo.  i favor responsible, additional regulations and disclosures, and favor working through the political system to bring that about.  but i do object to the unwarranted intellectual (and moral) arrogance in the comment that consumers "need to be" educated.  If you want to speak for 99% of the people, taking steps that will directly annoy them is short-term stupid, and frustrates your long term goals.  Act up was more or less spent as a force by the time i was in college, but i can't but think of all the strides in gay rights and AIDS research that have taken place without it.

by Loge on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 01:17:54 PM PDT

•  I find that line of reasoning problematic. (0+ / 0-)

If the objective is to grow the movement—and I'd be surprised if that isn't at least one of the objectives—then interfering with people's lives and then telling them that it's their fault because they're "part of the problem" and that it's a "consequence" for their actions isn't exactly the best way to go about winning them over as friends. Seems to me that an informational campaign directed at them would be more likely to convince them to pull their money out of the bank.

Furthermore, it seems to me that it's not really interfering with the things that need interfering with. The #OccupyDC group has figured this one out already, in their announcement that they're dialing back their marches because people were getting pissed at their tying up traffic. Most of the people who want to get where they're going on a DC street—even K Street, believe it or not—aren't in the business of doing terrible things. They're trying to get lunch, or get to a meeting, or do any of the hundred other things that a person would do when they're trying to get from Point A to Point B.

Similarly, most of the people in a bank—particularly a branch office like this one—aren't really involved in nefarious acts. They're trying to deposit their paycheck, or get cash, or do any of the other things that a person does at a bank branch. Maybe they're "part of the problem," as you put it, because they've got a few thousand dollars in a checking account at Citi, but the 15 people in line at your average bank branch over their lunch break certainly can't be a very big part of the problem. In the grand scheme of things, interfering with their going about their business really isn't going to change much of anything, except to maybe delay them for a few hours so they deposit their paycheck or get cash after work instead of over their lunch break.

It seems a better tactic to me to interfere with the things that need interfering with, and take direct action against the problem itself—like occupying their headquarters, or occupying the entrances to Treasury, or occupying the banks' lobbyist organization... something along those lines. And, at the same time, educate the people in line at their branch as to what their money is supporting, and let them know about the alternatives, like the 5 or 6 community banks and credit unions that come to my mind within 5 blocks of 14th and G, but without calling them "part of the problem" or treating them like the enemy.

by JamesGG on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 02:31:05 PM PDT

•  I doubt it'll get his attention. (1+ / 0-)
            blue aardvark

In DC, and particularly in the area near the White House, you kinda learn to just ignore protesters, because there's always someone protesting about something.

by JamesGG on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 01:38:54 PM PDT

•  Odd they didn't pick the one at 15th and K (5+ / 0-)

It is literally across the street from the park occupied by OccupyDC.

Experience is the knowledge you have a few moments after you needed it.

by 8ackgr0und N015e on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 11:12:17 AM PDT

•  Well they needed to march somewhere too. (9+ / 0-)

Also this is across the street from the "regulators"

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 11:15:51 AM PDT

•  It wasn't OccupyDC's event (4+ / 0-)

It was Stop the Machine. Aren't they operating from a different location?

from a bright young conservative: “I’m watching my first GOP debate…and WE SOUND LIKE CRAZY PEOPLE!!!!”

by Catte Nappe on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 12:59:07 PM PDT

•  Stop the Machine is at Freedom Plaza, I believe... (0+ / 0-)

...and #OccupyDC is up at McPherson Square.

14th and G is only a couple blocks north of Freedom Plaza (at 14th and E); it also seems to me the STM types are more into direct action (they were the ones involved in the Air & Space incident a few weeks back) so it makes sense that it would be them.

by JamesGG on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 01:41:41 PM PDT

•  exactly. (0+ / 0-)

This branch is closest to Freedom Plaza.

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 01:58:52 PM PDT

•  Air and Space Museum protest (1+ / 0-)
                RickD

I loved those people so much for going there.  People around the world now know for a fact that a lot of us hate that drone shit.  It's shameful and disgusting, and I'm glad that statement got made.

•  I wasn't a fan of "let's rush security." (0+ / 0-)

That seems to me to be crossing the line of nonviolent direct action, veering into the territory of direct action in which people can be harmed. The Air & Space security guard didn't deserve to be shoved or rushed for enforcing the museum's rules.

If the protesters had found a way to get in there and hang their banner without rushing security, or if their response to being kept out was to occupy the Mall in front of the museum and protest the drone display there, I'd have found it much more palatable.

by JamesGG on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 02:34:20 PM PDT

•  You do know, don't you (3+ / 0-)
                    Steven D, bablhous, DerAmi

that the leading cause of the "unpalatability" at Air and Space was an ultra conservative American Spectator editor who slimed in among the protestors to spark violence and then barged through security into the museum in hopes protestors would follow, don't you?

He then romped off to post about his thrilling role as an agent provocateur who had so bravely wrecked the dirty fucking hippies' stupid protest.  Weekly Standard readers posted many Huzzahs! in response and asked if he'd had sex with hippy sluts since that's the only reason anybody goes to dirty fucking hippy protests.  Readers also enthused over the possibility of using planted provocateurs to spark a race war among the stupid libs.  That's Real American Patriots for you - and Good Christians, too, no doubt.

Details here, here, and here.

"Injustice wears ever the same harsh face wherever it shows itself." - Ralph Ellison

by KateCrashes on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 03:20:20 PM PDT

•  This one is pretty close to the National Press (0+ / 0-)

Club.

by a gilas girl on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 01:58:08 PM PDT

•  It is in the heart of downtown, not sure if it is (3+ / 0-)
        Horace Boothroyd III, sherlyle, kyril

their main office. It is 5-6 blocks from the White House, but on street view on google maps maps it looks like a branch.

•  I think it is the closest branch (1+ / 0-)
        michealallison

to the Freedom Plaza and McPherson Square sites.

It is just a branch, and a rather small one at that.  But it is about a block and a half from the National Press Club.

by a gilas girl on Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 01:56:58 PM PDT