View Diary: Nurses arrested at Occupy Chicago - is caring criminal? (177 comments)

•  those cops (1+ / 0-)
    Hayate Yagami

really should fear being hospitalized now.

but, nurses being nurses, the cops won't have anything to fear since nurses actually have the Pride, Integrity, and Guts that cops only have in their fantasies.

blink-- pale cold

by zedaker on Sun Oct 23, 2011 at 07:26:13 PM PDT

•  I can't agree with this (11+ / 0-)

When I worked in the ER, I had a lot of interactions with cops and they were almost always positive. It was an inner city ER and we saw a lot of domestic assaults, stabbings, shootings, etc. Any time we had a violent crime, the cops would be there, and they were awesome. They stayed out of our way when they needed to, but they never hesitated to jump into the line of fire to keep us safe. One time we had a man come in in the throes of psychosis, and were trying to get him restrained when he grabbed one of the nurses by her hair and slammed her into the table-another nurse tried to intervene and was thrown across the room. The cop (who was a female, I might add) saw this from down the hallway and literally sprinted over and took this guy, who was twice her size and SCARY, down. It was a thing of beauty. I have seen a cop hold the hand of a rape victim and comfort her while she cried, and it is not unusual for them to come back and check up on people on their off hours to see how they are doing. At the end of the day, they are human beings and they have one of the hardest jobs on the planet. They are called names and suffer indignities on a daily basis, and that can harden anyone after a while. Yes, there are some bad apples but most of them are pretty ok. And they are not our enemies. They are part of the 99% and we need them on our side.

R.I.P. Troy Anthony Davis
      October 9, 1968 - September 21, 2011

by SwedishJewfish on Sun Oct 23, 2011 at 07:43:55 PM PDT

•  and yet, (1+ / 0-)
        Calamity Jean

they arrest your colleagues for being in the park after hours while attending to their profession.

you make my point for me.

individual officers may be all that you say , and more, but "the cops" are a different critter. a pack mentality takes over when those individual officers gather together that overcomes the individual's good qualities.

nurses, however, will nurse them regardless of who they are. because it's the right thing to do.

blink-- pale cold

by zedaker on Sun Oct 23, 2011 at 08:09:42 PM PDT

•  In theory, yes (2+ / 0-)
        zedaker, Kurt Sperry

In reality, no, we fucking DON'T.

Police are there to protect the property rights of the wealthy. The rest of us are there for their entertainment, and they protect us as they choose at the moment. Which, in my city (Boston), amounts to being polite to white, upper-middle-class people, and then shooting and beating brown kids down in Roxbury and Mattapan.

When I was being battered by my ex-husband, the cops were the last people I wanted to talk to. Because, in their minds, somehow I deserved it and it was all my fault. The female cops were worse then their male counterparts, because they were trying to suck up and act like one of the "good" women, who do things for misogynist male approval. When I was raped? Forget it. I refused to report it because I didn't feel like having every thug with a badge snickering over my personal hell every time they went on duty.

I don't speak to law enforcement. Ever. When they ask me a question, the only words that come of my mouth are, "Am I being detained?" If the answer is no, I walk away. If the answer is yes, then I simply say, "I would like to hear my rights and I would like to speak with my attorney." And then I STFU. Police are not my friends.

When are you going to understand that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage. - Practical Magic

by Keori on Mon Oct 24, 2011 at 07:05:24 AM PDT

•  I'm sorry you had such bad experiences (1+ / 0-)
          Evolutionary

I think it really depends on the force and how it is run. All you need is a few rotten higher ups, and they infect the whole system from the top down. Like I said, I've had mostly good experiences. When I was raped, the detectives assigned to my case treated me better than anyone-including my own parents. I've also had a bad experience, where excessive force was used against me and information was fabricated on a police report- basically I was falsely arrested and held without being allowed any phone calls and had a full blown anxiety attack but no medical attention was given to me. There are good and bad people in law enforcement. But to make such sweeping judgements about all of them collectively is not fair, IMO.

R.I.P. Troy Anthony Davis
          October 9, 1968 - September 21, 2011

by SwedishJewfish on Mon Oct 24, 2011 at 09:57:18 AM PDT

•  Poor, poor police (0+ / 0-)

Don't fret too much; somehow I doubt any of them are personally crushed by my complete lack of desire for them in my life or near my person.

by Keori on Mon Oct 24, 2011 at 12:18:33 PM PDT

•  Um, ok? (0+ / 0-)

Not fretting, not pitying the police. Just sharing my own experiences. You have every right to feel differently.

R.I.P. Troy Anthony Davis
              October 9, 1968 - September 21, 2011

by SwedishJewfish on Mon Oct 24, 2011 at 12:38:23 PM PDT

•  There are good and bad cops, and there are (0+ / 0-)

good and bad protesters.  That's a broad brush you are using to paint with.  The cops aren't the enemy.  The people ordering them to hurt innocent protesters are the enemy, and you should be directing your wrath where it belongs.
              Cops are the 99%.