View Diary: San Diego City Council WALKS OUT on OSD!!! (240 comments)

•  The simple courtesy of listening to citizens (26+ / 0-)

is not endorsement or its opposite. It's their job.

Why would 1%'ers be alienated by a council member simply continuing to sit in the room until the meeting is adjourned, even if the council member doesn't like Occupy? Seriously, would anyone have even noticed? It would have been a non-event.

Instead, they did something overtly and unnecessarily hostile that makes them look petty, and gives more publicity to OWS, and more fuel to the feeling that our representatives don't listen to anyone, which I seriously doubt was their intention.

48forEastAfrica - Donate to Oxfam If you can't feed a hundred people, then just feed one. - Mother Teresa

by wasatch on Tue Oct 25, 2011 at 02:10:30 PM PDT

•  We may be missing some info (7+ / 0-)

It seems that they sat through the time allotted to OSD, and endred up adjourning and walking out when OSD started chanting over the next speaker. It doesn't say much for the movement if they are blocking another citizen's opportunity to be heard.

from a bright young conservative: “I’m watching my first GOP debate…and WE SOUND LIKE CRAZY PEOPLE!!!!”

by Catte Nappe on Tue Oct 25, 2011 at 02:29:49 PM PDT

•  It's really frustrating (3+ / 0-)
        Catte Nappe, JanL, SwedishJewfish

because I can't find any video that shows the walkout.  All of us discussed it afterwards, and it was brought up on the Facebook page a couple of times.

They walked out briefly during the human mic, and came back near the end.  All the vids I've found are focused on the crowd at the time of the walkout.

>;[

"Mediocrity cannot know excellence." -- Sherlock Holmes

by La Gitane on Tue Oct 25, 2011 at 03:25:59 PM PDT

•  Maybe they were taking a recess (3+ / 0-)
          Catte Nappe, La Gitane, mumtaznepal

to discuss how they should handle it? I've seen council members take breaks like that before, although not very often. Usually when the meeting is not going as planned.

My dad used to be on town council, I'll ask him what he thinks happened.

R.I.P. Troy Anthony Davis
          October 9, 1968 - September 21, 2011

by SwedishJewfish on Tue Oct 25, 2011 at 06:22:04 PM PDT

•  video on channel 10 website (2+ / 0-)
          alizard, La Gitane

but I can't see it:

I left a comment above -- they want you to contact them if you have more info on the story

of course I'm out of sync with y'all by about 5 hours, who knows what's below in the comments -- I can't handle em.

Best wishes.

•  I don't understand - they listened to you for your (1+ / 0-)
          Catte Nappe

three minutes, even gave you another minute, then Occupy disrupted the meeting with shouting.

Occupy was incredibly, impressively thrilling, as a group speaking, until that moment.

•  If you'll notice, that is the time that the police (1+ / 0-)
          Catte Nappe

there for security started worrying about you guys, because you suddenly became unpredictable.

A large crowd of people suddenly getting angry and shouting?   Yeah, I'd leave, too.  People - councilpeople -  have been shot and attacked at local city council meetings.

You had 100% attention and respect of everyone in the room while you were speaking for the first 3 (and additional 1) minute.

A learning experience for how to game the system to your advantage.  Peaceful - calm - protest is hard when you are angry and have a message to deliver, especially if you worry that you'll not get the respect you want.  Earn that respect.  Occupy had all the power in the room, then it dissembled into chaos.

•  That's what I saw too (2+ / 0-)
        Catte Nappe, AaronInSanDiego

I've been to my fair share of city councils, what happened there is definately a breach of decorum. Then again, I guess that was the point...

Not sure what to make of this whole incident, TBH.

R.I.P. Troy Anthony Davis
        October 9, 1968 - September 21, 2011

by SwedishJewfish on Tue Oct 25, 2011 at 06:19:16 PM PDT

•  I loved when the point was 30 people talking in (1+ / 0-)
          Catte Nappe

unison.  It was attention-grabbing, it was beautiful, and it was guaranteed to make the evening news in an incredibly  positive slant.

Then it became confused aggressive shouting, and everyone from Occupy looked bad.

OWS has to decide if they are going to work within the political system we have, by being a non-partisan powerful political force - or if they want to disrupt and change the type of government we have.

I'd choose to use what we have to control and change.

•  curiouser and curiouser (1+ / 0-)
        Catte Nappe

I was going on how it was described.

Blocking someone else's speech would be uncool too.

now I'm confused...

by wasatch on Tue Oct 25, 2011 at 07:54:34 PM PDT

•  Very true, its city council 101 (1+ / 0-)
      GrumpyOldGeek

Its much easier to deal with these situations if council members refrain from being confrontational.  It solves nothing and ends up making council members look bad.

Lose-Lose situation.

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" Eleanor Roosevelt

by Betty Pinson on Tue Oct 25, 2011 at 02:40:09 PM PDT

•  the pettier they act... (1+ / 0-)
      grover

the larger OWS grows  :)

"Orwell was an optimist"

by KnotIookin on Tue Oct 25, 2011 at 02:40:39 PM PDT

•  Yup. (10+ / 0-)

I grew up San Diego. Most of my family and friends are still there, and most are conservative.

And most are thoroughly disgusted with how the peaceful protestors have been treated.

San Diego conservatives tend to be what I call "military" conservative. They support defense spending and strong (ok, draconian) immigration policy, but are mostly socially liberal and overall, pretty reasonable: they're not neanderthals that have knee-jerk reactions to words like "abortion" and "Kenyan Islamist."

They don't have to carry around copies of the Constitution to know what it says. And they know it contains more than just the 2nd amendment.

And they're getting pretty darn mad that the first amendment is getting trampled.  As one put it: The first ammendment doesn't say freedom of speech OR freedom to assemble peacefully. It guarantees both simultaneously.

Pissing off your base because you're trampling the rights of fellow citizens is just a really stupid idea.