View Diary: They Say Jesus Says (25 comments)

•  “Because it’s in the same book" (5+ / 0-)

The religious right and too many religious institutions are guilty of a bait-and-switch, swapping God or Jesus for the bible.

"Pelosi was the only damn one of the entire lot who showed any ounce of leadership the last two years"-- The Dead Man

by musicalhair on Thu Oct 27, 2011 at 09:03:04 AM PDT

•  Indeed, logic can't be used. (3+ / 0-)
      bythesea, mapamp, Larsstephens

Thank you for your comment.

She nourishes us; that which we put into the ground she returns to us. Big Thunder

by Winter Rabbit on Thu Oct 27, 2011 at 09:08:06 AM PDT

•  I had two Jehova's Witnesses visit (6+ / 0-)

today, accompanied by a cute three year old.  They wanted to read me from the book. Eventually, I asked them if they vote and they proudly replied that no, they never vote because that way they can't be blamed for the state of the government. They said that John said not to be involved and I said that Jesus drove the money changers from the temple.
      Then I told them if they don't vote (paying taxes is not enough) they're freeloaders, but that's OK because we can accommodate freeloaders, we just can't have them telling us how to live.  They took umbrage at that and departed rather hurriedly.

"Freeloader" seems to hit a nerve with a lot of people. People who reject obligations don't want to be obliged.

People to Wall Street: "LET OUR MONEY GO"

by hannah on Thu Oct 27, 2011 at 10:55:20 AM PDT

•  LOL, thanks for sharing! (3+ / 0-)
        bythesea, mapamp, Larsstephens

by Winter Rabbit on Thu Oct 27, 2011 at 10:58:13 AM PDT

•  I love talking to Jehova's Witnesses! (4+ / 0-)

Mostly because I like talking theology.  I think I came pretty close to converting 2 female Mormons that had come to my door to to Gnosticism.

I always thank them for their churches 1st amendment case that went before the supreme court.  I hadn't thought about talking to them about voting.  We had talked about our responsibility to our society though.

by musicalhair on Thu Oct 27, 2011 at 11:19:13 AM PDT

•  I remember back in the 1960's (4+ / 0-)

Their mantra was that Jesus had been reborn back in August of 1914, whern World War I began.  Their tracts included a lot of stuff about how bad World War I was.  Even back then He would have been biding His time waiting to make His move.  Some time thereafter, certainly by the 1970's, the word gave down from the Jehova Witness hierarchy to give up on that one.

"We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals, now we know that it is bad economics." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Jan. 20, 1937

by Navy Vet Terp on Thu Oct 27, 2011 at 12:18:17 PM PDT

•  So here's my story. (3+ / 0-)
          bythesea, mapamp, Larsstephens

I get home last March, been home for 2 weeks and am going to rebuild the Inipi (sweat lodge). I'm putting together my new chain saw on my front porch, it's cold, and I guess a Jehova's Witness comes up with 2 boys. I compliment the boys for doing this and staying out of trouble (better than the gangs), and he asks me to read something in Exodus. I read the wrong page and it's one of those violent passages. He says, "no no, wrong page" and directs me to one of "The promised land" ones. Told him to come back, but think the chain saw scared him.

by Winter Rabbit on Thu Oct 27, 2011 at 12:35:15 PM PDT

•  "Because It's in the Same Book" (4+ / 0-)

What a gem of reasoning that is!  Do you think he led the debate team at Baylor?

"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything even remotely true." -- H. Simpson

by midnight lurker on Thu Oct 27, 2011 at 11:33:45 AM PDT

•  there is so much wrong (5+ / 0-)

in that book that to say "it's in the bible" is pretty useless unless you shut off your brain.  I consider myself a Christian (Gnostic) but I say "fuck the bible".  If someone needs a book to tell them right from wrong, or if a book over-rules right from wrong for you then something's messed up.

by musicalhair on Thu Oct 27, 2011 at 11:48:41 AM PDT

Can't call method "id" on an undefined value at /www/dk4-perl/current/lib/ScoopDK/CacheSimple/Stories.pm line 100.