View Diary: WI-Gov: Scott Walker makes small improvement, but recall still a tossup (178 comments)

•  Some locals don't know much (0+ / 0-)

I remember following DailyKos during the 2004 elections and reading loads of posts from people canvassing in places like Arkansas, saying Kerry was gonna win! They "knew" that because that was their worm's-eye view, based on the reaction of the Democrats they were canvassing. In other words, it's possible to be TOO localized in your point of view. Don't get me wrong; I'm not arguing that being there is actually a detriment, but it doesn't prove either knowledge or objectivity. Real judgment should be based on evidence and logic, not prejudice, whether the prejudice is based on race, sex, sexual orientation, political viewpoint, or place of residence.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Thu Oct 27, 2011 at 08:13:46 PM PDT

•  Trust me when I say, very nicely (0+ / 0-)

that I would not presume to know Albany from my a**hole.

And speaking of . . . now, this may amaze you, but here in Wisconsin, some of us actually are capable of employing evidence and logic without such stupid prejudices.

However, I also know a lot of Easterners whose opinions would not be at all useful here, because of their prejudices about the Midwest.  So we smile all "Midwestern nice" at them and pass them a hot dish and act all interested, but really, we pity them.

"Let all the dreamers wake the nation." -- Carly Simon

by Cream City on Thu Oct 27, 2011 at 08:33:18 PM PDT

•  But you make my point exactly (0+ / 0-)

It's not where you live, it's whether you employ knowledge and logic. Why you would think I was saying or implying that people in Wisconsin can't do that, I can't fathom.

And as an aside, don't assume people who live in New York City know Albany well. I don't believe I've ever spent a day there in my life, and if I did, it was probably close to 40 years ago.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Thu Oct 27, 2011 at 08:41:53 PM PDT

•  yeah? (0+ / 0-)

well, here's an example of Rich in PA's "knowledge and logic":

"Show me a successful recall. 'Nuff said."

Evidently, despite all of Rich in PA's sophisticated bird's eye view of things, he seems to have missed the fact that we  already recalled two of the bastards, a couple of months ago.

His advice is puerile, elitist, arrogant, uninformed, and generally worthless to anyone who's actually trying to get anything done about what is in fact a pretty desperate situation. If you don't get how desperate, you haven't been paying enough attention to the fuckery that Walker et al  have been up to since the hubbub in spring.

Sure, it's going to be a difficult battle -- not least because that corrupt son of a bitch is doing everything he can (much of it probably illegal, as is par for his demented putt-putt course) to thwart the recall process. We are fighting for our fucking lives out here, and some dumbass from Pennsylvania says, "Well, really, you're wasting your time. Wait till the next election cycle rolls around."

Well, Fuck Rich in fucking Pennsylvania, if that's the best he's got to offer us.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Thu Oct 27, 2011 at 10:01:43 PM PDT

•  Did you notice that I started by saying (0+ / 0-)

I didn't agree with his opinion? Sheesh. Follow the thread, please.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Thu Oct 27, 2011 at 10:39:24 PM PDT

•  The point is, it's a cheap easy play to preach (0+ / 0-)

patience for others, when they are dealing with political injustice that isn't your own problem.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Fri Oct 28, 2011 at 12:36:09 AM PDT

•  But his point is that if his opinion agreed with (0+ / 0-)

yours, you wouldn't complain about where he lives. I get your point, and you're making it well now, but I think it's way too easy and not such a great thing to resort to complaining about where someone lives, just because you don't like their opinion.

There's a guy who posts here who thinks Representative Baldwin is very likely to lose, and he gets a lot of flack for that opinion, but he himself lives in Wisconsin, if I'm not very much mistaken.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Fri Oct 28, 2011 at 01:34:39 AM PDT

•  If you mean OGGoldy (1+ / 0-)
                  MichaelNY

pretty sure he lives in Minnesota.

21, male, RI-01 (voting) IL-01 (college), hopeless Swingnut

by sapelcovits on Fri Oct 28, 2011 at 06:09:30 AM PDT

•  Well as it happens, I also think Representative (0+ / 0-)

Baldwin is very likely to lose. What's more, I don't think she'd be a particularly outstanding Senator. Either way, however, I'm not terribly interested in the semi-informed opinions of people who are distant from the scene and whose understandings are generally based on conventional wisdom they've picked up from some pundit somewhere.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Fri Oct 28, 2011 at 02:16:42 PM PDT

•  I am somewhat scared about Tammy, too. (1+ / 0-)
                    MichaelNY

I like her for the most part, and am going to vote for her, but I think a lot of people will be turned off to her because of her sexual orientation. I don't have a problem with her, but I know a lot of people that might.

I still hope she wins, though, because putting old f*k Thompson in, or piss-heads Nuemann and Fitzgerald, or nut f*k Lasee would be terrible.

19, male, WI-03 (home, voting), WI-02 (college), All the crap Scooter is doing, I should move, but that would be one less vote against him., -7.88, -4.26, End the FitzWalkerstanian police state by recalling Scott Walker!!!!

by WisJohn on Fri Oct 28, 2011 at 09:32:44 PM PDT

•  Is Minnesota too far away for you? (0+ / 0-)

Or are you complaining only about people from Pennsylvania and points further east?

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Sat Oct 29, 2011 at 07:24:41 AM PDT

•  hell, don't take my word for it. (0+ / 0-)

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Fri Oct 28, 2011 at 12:39:05 AM PDT