Skip to main content

View Diary: Oligarchy Alley at MIT (31 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  So now a cancer center is a hostage? (2+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    Gooserock, JonBarleycorn

    If rich people own something nice I can't cross them?

    I simply do not get it.

    Just because Broad and Koch have decided to set up shop in high tech medicine that is off-limits?

    In case you hadn't noticed, the profit margin in medicine is obscene. These guys are in it for the money.

    Show me one other place on the planet where I can protest all three of these bums in one place and I will go there. In the meantime, Oligarch Alley is just down the street.

    •  Philanthropists don't "own" (5+ / 0-)

      cancer centers, or hospitals. They are often entitled to Chair the Board, make big decisions, etc. But the assets of the cancer center are in a foundation. These are not private businesses.

      •  Fine, then its a symbolic protest... (0+ / 0-)

        I'm protesting them, not their cancer center.

        The point is that these clowns have plenty of money to throw around for things they want, but they refuse to let the 99% have public schools and decent healthcare.

        This location on the highest-tech campus in the country is the perfect venue to show the contrast between the rich 1% and how they will pay to educate their own and the other 99% that they are busy screwing.

        •  I don't think it matters what a cancer (1+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:
          Deep Texan

          center is called, it is not worthy of protest. If a bunch of ex-Nazis donated to build the Hitler cancer center, it would still be a cancer center.

          •  Old joke about St Peter and the rich man... (1+ / 0-)
            Recommended by:
            joe shikspack

            Rich man shows up at the pearly gates. God asks if he ever used any of his money for charity.

            Rich man thinks and says "Well, in 1975 I gave a quarter to a bum; and in 1990 I gave a time to a bag lady."

            So God says to St. P. "Give this creep his 35 cents back and send him to hell."

            --------

            The point is these people have done way more harm than good. We would not be protesting the cancer center, but the creeps who think this kind of (to them) chump change handout will buy off the retribution.

            You are accepting their argument.

    •  The problem is that these fuckwads (2+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      arendt, joe shikspack

      have done an incredible amount to HARM and SET BACK cancer research.

      These buildings are just symbols of their rank hypocrisy.  They - and they university sponsors - should DEFINITELY be called out on it.  

      Instead of acting as their apologists - I wish I could say I"m shocked to see this type of idiocy here at DailyKos (but can't, it's all too common!)

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

  • Recommended (127)
  • Community (55)
  • Memorial Day (31)
  • Culture (29)
  • Environment (26)
  • Republicans (21)
  • Civil Rights (20)
  • Media (18)
  • Rescued (18)
  • Labor (17)
  • Education (17)
  • Elections (17)
  • Science (17)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Law (16)
  • GOP (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Marriage Equality (14)
  • Health Care (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site