View Diary: Still No Major Media Coverage of Alaska Oil Spill (148 comments)

•  right, sucker. (3.78)
    cars, planes, and plastics are just SO integral to human life...

had yer blood tested lately? any idea just how many non-biodegradable plastics are floating around in YOUR body, fuckin' up YOUR chromosomes...?

didn't think so. trust me, you wouldn't like the answer.

as to cars: yeah, I've got one, and I like it (just as I am conditioned to). but living in the UK showed me exactly how entirely UNnecessary cars are to maintaining the quality of my life. the dipshit notion that in order to be truly "free" we each have to piss away thousands of gallons of fuel annually in order to hurtle ourselvves around on crash-littered interstates in a frantic rush to get from one Exurbian hell to the next is a sick collective delusion...one created and inculcated for purposes of profit for a small band of a select few - a group none of us here can claim membership in.

"They are not in heaven because they fuck the wives of Ely."

by RabidNation on Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 09:54:16 AM PST

•  I've had my blood tested lately... (none)
      ...and no one told me about the nonbiodegradable plastics in there that are messing with my chromosomes!!!  Holy crap!!!

Did you get your medical degree from Toshiba State with Frist?

Two-step, lockstep, goosestep: Herr Busch's three-step plan to a righter tomorrow.

by The Termite on Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 10:00:36 AM PST

•  I'm not going to connect the dots for you. (3.66)
        leave your comment about frist for someone who deserves it (although funny, I'll grant). a simple visit to NPR's "All Things Considered" archives, and/or the same for the BBC, should turn up a couple of interesting radio documentaries (apart from the articles I've read) about the presence of plastics in groundwater, surface water, the food chain, and human bodies - as well as the cellular damage, reproductive harm, and actual changes to human bodies resulting from same.

a f'rinstance: an interesting one to note for guys who treasure their "manhood": been following the news about the declining sperm counts/potency of american men over the last several generations? and been following the research on the presence of plastics in the bodies of those most sorely afflicted? looked into the leachates oozing out of your Pepsi bottle into the product you're drinking? 'tis interesting stuff.

"They are not in heaven because they fuck the wives of Ely."

by RabidNation on Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 10:07:40 AM PST

•  Thanks for clarifying... (none)
          It's hard for me to imagine plastic making its way into the bloodstream, but you make an articulate point so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I'll have to do the Pepsi ooze test sometimes, though I never drink the crap.  Leachates sounds like just one more reason.

And sorry about the Frist crack.  Twas meant in jest.

by The Termite on Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 10:46:13 AM PST

•  It's in the air (none)
            Ultimately there isn't much you can do to avoid exposure to potential toxins, considering it's

in the air in our homes.

•  Toxic Load on your mind and in your body (none)
            Check this one out:

The body burden
            Our toxic load gets heavier.

By A. Clay Thompson
            December 13, 2000
            San Francisco Bay Guardian

SCIENTISTS CALL IT the body burden: the amount of toxic junk trapped inside you. Industrial society, with its smokestacks, tailpipes, oil refineries, and pesticide-laden vegetables, is leaving its residue within the cells of each of us, in the form of synthetic chemical compounds and heavy metals.

The roll call of toxins pulsing through our bodies is chilling.

There's a good chance you've got a little DDE - a by-product of the condor-killing, probably carcinogenic pesticide DDT - embedded in your fatty tissue. Then there are PCBs, the now banned compounds used as coolant for electrical generators and known to cause cancer and reproductive defects in animals. Researchers say PCB contamination is "almost universal" in human fat and breast milk and in the brains and livers of small children. Dioxins too...

And our toxic load may be getting heavier.

Last week local green group Communities for a Better Environment released a 16-page report calling attention to studies done on a relatively unknown class of chemicals called polybrominated diphenyl ethers, or PBDEs. The compounds, used widely as flame retardants in plastic products including computers and furniture, are showing up in increasing amounts in humans and animals across the globe. "Around the world it looks like [PBDE] levels are doubling every two years," said Greg Karras, staff scientist for Communities for a Better Environment.

...

At a molecular level PBDEs closely resemble dioxins and PCBs.

Poor me, I dig myself holes! Somebody marry me, I'm getting old! -- Sole

by MediaRevolution on Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 02:13:17 PM PST

•  Check the recycle symbol for safe plastic (none)
          On the Trail of Water Bottle Toxins
          To be safe, environmental advocates suggest simply avoiding #7 plastics altogether and opting for safer choices for food and beverage storage. These better options include polypropylene (#5 PP), high density polyethylene (#2 HDPE), and low density polyethylene (#4 LDPE). No evidence has been found to suggest that these plastics leach toxic materials. Scientists advise against the repeated use of plastic water bottles made from plastic type #1 PETE as there is evidence to suggest that such bottles leach a compound known as DEHA, which is classified by the EPA as a "possible human carcinogen," as well as acetaldehyde, which has received the same designation from the International Agency for Research on Cancer.
        •  That's what "Tort Reform" is all about (4.00)
          Its about the freedom to pollute massively, and kill, without making retribution.. (the main effect of capping lawsuits at $200,000 is to make the often years long lawsuits financially infeasible for lawyers to take.. even if they are clearly guilty)

How much is your life 'worth'?

Less than you think!

•  Dude (none)
        read "Our Stolen Future," and I promise you there's no way you'll ever make an uninformed comment like the above again.

If you have never found something so dear and so precious to you that you will die for it, then you are unfit to live. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Scott in NAZ on Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 10:49:52 AM PST

•  "Better Off without Cars, Plastics, etc" (none)
      Being in the UK, I suppose you'd prefer London when the soot was so thick you could get 10,000 deaths, when horse turds filled the streets and stank up the air?

Cars aren't great, but they are better than what proceeded them

We have no desire to offend you -- unless you are a twit!

by ScrewySquirrel on Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 10:03:43 AM PST

•  lived in Brighton (none)
        on the seafront. rode bicycle or a bus to work, and a train elsewhere, when called for. and WALKED; you know, vertical ambulation, propelled forward by my (gasp!) legs. astonishingly efficient and eco-friendly.

and "london when the soot was so thick..." OH, so it's PLASTICS that are responsible for clean air laws...? Funny, I thought it was England's ban on the use of coal as a household fuel, and the emissions controls placed on factories and vehicles...silly me.

"They are not in heaven because they fuck the wives of Ely."

by RabidNation on Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 10:11:08 AM PST

•  Back of envelope calculations (4.00)
          I could be wrong -- someone please correct me if I am.  But here are some quick, fun calculations:

If you're a slender 160lbs, walking five miles on a flat surface at a relatively brisk 3.5mph, you will require approximately 465 kilocalories.

You could consume 500 kilocalories by eating one pound of beef steak.  One pound of beefsteak requires 20,000 kilocalories of fossil fuel to produce, most of which in the use of petrochemical fertilizers for feed crops.

One gallon of gasoline contains approximately 31,200 kilocalories.

Thus, you're doing about 7.5mpg -- about the same as a Hummer.  (That is, unless you have an impressively efficient gait, and, more importantly, you're a vegetarian -- in which case you may be doing upwards of 100mpg.  No fair saying you eat organic -- I strongly doubt the Earth could support 6.5 billion of us without petrochemical fertilizers).

No, I'm not a FReeper. Thanks.

by JamesInPDX on Wed Mar 30, 2005 at 11:03:23 AM PST

•  HA! (none)
            think I'll give you a four for that. As someone who can be overly sedentary by nature - I fight that all the time - I appreciate you giving me the ammo I need to argue next time my girlfriend wants to go out and "do something" and I wanna chill out and read.

and it's interesting, too. to think I get the same mileage as a hummer...here's hoping someone from EarthFirst doesn't set me on fire or slash my tires.

•  Do you have a good source for those statistics? (none)
            I'm a vegetarian for the reasons you mention (and beause it's really pretty easy for me), but I've always wondered how much of a difference it really makes.  It seems logical that feeding an animal to adulthood just to kill it for food is more energy-costly than just eating the food yourself, but I fell the people who write those statistics always slant them pro-vegetarian.

For instance, is that 20,000 kcal figure based on beef that is strictly grain-fed?  Because I see a lot of cows eating scrubby grass on land that looks difficult to use for other agriculture.  Are those all dairy cows, or do some/most beef cattle eat grass or hay as a significant portion of their diet?  If you've got a relatively unbiased source for such data, I'd love to know where to find it.

As far as your example;  it is indeed fun, but one flaw immediately jumped out at me:  if you get all (or even a significant portion of) your calories from grain-fed beef, you are 1. gonna die soon, lessening your overall environmental impact. 2. driving an H2 anyway, so walking will be no less efficient for you, and you could use the excercise, you cowmunching cowboy you.

Also, you left out bicycling, which is more energy-efficient than walking (also 3.5 mph is a little brisk for crosstown walking, and is a speed favored by "power walkers" who are explicitly trying to burn as many calories as possible).

•  London's soot (4.00)
        That soot was from coal stoves and industry, with some contribution from rail transport. And the horse plop was msotly from the transport of goods, plus some passenger service.

Personal mobility, for most, involved walking. Their system was fueled by peas and mash, using shoe leather-and-cobble technology. Longer trips might involve a coal-powered train or a shared ride in a horse-drawn coach.

Yes, to use a single-occupant vehicle for every errand in 1875 would have drowned the city in manure. Yes, supporting today's level of commercial goods transport with animal traction would be a stinky folly. Yes, heating uninsulated homes to modern comfort levels with primitive coal stoves would be a choking mess.

I am thankful that oil and natural gas helped keep our economic world running, bridging the times when those primitive technologies sufficed and the time when we harness a more sustainable energy source.

But, I am not at all happy about the suburban sprawl that has necessitated single-occupancy motorized transport. Or the policies bent to keeping oil cheap and free-flowing right up until the last drop is gone. It could have gone so much better.

Think of a mill worker in 1875 suddenly gaining the benefits of diesel-electric locomotives, hydro-electric factories, gas heat and cooking, electric trolleys. Refigeration for fresh veggies, electric lights for night school.

Only this time, without the choking swarms of cars, without the wide roads and their speed-friendly turn radii. Without the over-HVAC'ed house. Without paying maintenance and depreciation on an overbuilt highway system he never really needed in the first place. Without the huge parking lots standing between every address, making him travel 2 miles to cover a cumulative half mile of storefronts. Without sending his butcher and baker to the edge of civilization at the back of some huge super-megalo-market.

We didn't need to kill the cities to get rid of the soot.

•  Right on... (none)
      "Do you realize that in addition to fluoridated water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk, ice cream? Ice cream, Mandrake. Children's ice cream? You know when fluoridation first began? Nineteen hundred and forty six. Nineteen fortysix, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your postwar commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual, and certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard core commie works."
    •  stop it (none)
      That's the biggest overreaction I've ever seen. Cars are not around just so people could make profits. Come on. And "crash-littered interstates?" You know the odds of getting in a car accident? Settle down. And I won't even mention planes, or plastics.

I realize that you are passionate about this, but being way over the top is just as harmful to the cause as doing nothing at all. I could never take a person like you seriously.

•  Had blood tested with what? (none)
      Last time I had it done, having my blood drawn involved plastic tubing, vials, and syringes.

Republicans - Redefining the term Media Whore