View Diary: Abbreviated Pundit Round-up: They sound like us (75 comments)

•  on Cain (10+ / 0-)
    But increasingly, Mr. Cain is becoming known for walking back provocative statements made in a shoot-from-the-hip speaking style, which raises questions about his grasp of issues and his readiness for office.

He has uttered and retracted statements about an electrified border fence, negotiations with terrorists, Muslims in his cabinet and a woman’s right to choose an abortion.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Sat Oct 29, 2011 at 05:02:14 AM PDT

•  Romney will get the nom (12+ / 0-)

nut Cain is his competition, not Perry. And Cain's biggest problem for Romney? Cain is authentic, Romney not so much.

Cain Underscores Romney's Authenticity Gap
      By Ron Fournier

by Greg Dworkin on Sat Oct 29, 2011 at 05:05:07 AM PDT

•  Romney's "finger in the wind" politics (5+ / 0-)

are starting to catch up to him.

President Obama, May 5, 2011: "When we say we will never forget, we mean what we say".

by Drdemocrat on Sat Oct 29, 2011 at 05:13:04 AM PDT

•  as it well should. (2+ / 0-)
          nonnie9999, COBALT1928

I'm no GOP fan girl, but honestly, I want authenticity in a pol. If I was willing to throw my own president under the bus for his duplicity, the GOP get s NO LOVE from me.

The reality is that you have to stand for SOMETHING. (Obviously) duplicitous pols get NO LOVE from anywhere. Romney is so transparently and patently fake, it's just disgusting.

I've become re-radicalized. Thanks a lot you bunch of oligarchical fascist sons-of-bitches. But once again, I have no choice. Bring it the fuck on.

by mdmslle on Sat Oct 29, 2011 at 05:18:39 AM PDT

•  Exactamundo, mdmslle (4+ / 0-)

"romney is so transparently and patently fake, it's just disgusting."

How perfectly put.  And, therein lies Romney's archilles heel.  I'm like Dem here.  Romney's going to be the GOP nominee and we're gonna have a field day with him and his flip-a-roos.

Personally, I'm kinda looking forward to watching it.  When he get "got", have you noticed that little shit-eating grin he gets on his face?

He's almost cute when that happens  ツ

- If you don't like gay marriage, blame straight people. They're the ones who keep having gay babies.

by r2did2 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 at 05:49:11 AM PDT

•  romney is a complete loser. (2+ / 0-)
              r2did2, COBALT1928

i just can't imagine being so ambitious to literally PUBLICLY change my position on MAJOR issues that way. he must live a in a hellish place. I am trying to imagine myself today saying: "Oh I'm anti-abortion" or whatever. Whaaaa?

just hellish.

by mdmslle on Sat Oct 29, 2011 at 07:13:12 AM PDT

•  the Repugs could nominate a horse and it won't (1+ / 0-)
        COBALT1928

matter, 2012 is all about "Obama vs anybody". The Repugs will vote for the anybody.

It will be turnout that decides the election.  So the Dems better quit being Repugs, and give Dems a reason to turn out.  (And no, as 2010 taught us, "the other side is even worse!!!" is not sufficient reason to turn out).

•  Romney/Cain in 2012: Decaffeinated Pizza /nt (1+ / 0-)
        COBALT1928

I am off my metas! Präsidentenelf-maßschach; Warning-Some Snark Above"Nous sommes un groupuscule" (-9.50; -7.03)

by annieli on Sat Oct 29, 2011 at 05:37:07 AM PDT

•  Well, both Cain and Romney retract statements. (5+ / 0-)

Cain retracts careless ones, and Romney retracts careful ones.  Cain retracts the ones that were made without thinking, and Romney retracts the well thought out ones in favor of whatever gets him elected.

Inland: A privately held corporation spun off from the Womb Division of MomCo a half century or so ago.

by Inland on Sat Oct 29, 2011 at 05:13:25 AM PDT

•  You mean, whatever gets him nominated. (2+ / 0-)
        mdmslle, r2did2

He can't get elected if he keeps flip flopping rightwards.

Lea: "You're not going to fly into an asteroid field, are you?" Han Solo: "They'd be crazy to follow us, wouldn't they?"

by Kimball Cross on Sat Oct 29, 2011 at 05:19:32 AM PDT

•  Romney retracts no only statements (2+ / 0-)
        COBALT1928, Inland

but governance policy he enacted or helped to enact.

what a fool.

When Romney dies, the blurb in the newspaper will say "ran for president from 2007 until his death. Never won. He leave 3000 grandchildren, none of whom want to run for president."

by mdmslle on Sat Oct 29, 2011 at 05:21:55 AM PDT

•  and yet, he is beating the pants off the only (5+ / 0-)

other "serious candidate" in the race.

Basic Psyche 101: a) People make decisions based on emotion, not logic.  b) once a person has made a decision about [insert whatever it is here, in this case Cain], they willingly ignore anything that doesn't reinforce their decision.

This is what's happening with Cain right now. The GOP base likes the guy. He is personable. They like him. And none of those "blunders" have hurt him AT ALL.

If anyone is an expert at ignoring logic and facts, it's the GOP base. This is nothing different. They LIKE this guy and I think he's ventured into the territory of "dead girl or live boy". I mean, honestly, some of the most recent "blunders" almost seem to me to be as if he's TRYING to turn the base off and yet, they LOVE HIM.

Cain: Well shit. I wasn't actually planning to become president.

Campaign manager: yeah yeah I know I know. fuck. but the money keeps coming in. The book store called. I was planning to set up a book signing but...

Cain: Books! I just wanted to sell some freaking books. I can't believe these people actually want me to run.

CM: Ok, look. here's an idea. Abortion. That'll do it. Come out with a less than 100% statement on it. Sort of "pro-choice-y". Can you do it?

Cain: yea. I can. That should do it. BUt fuck, who knew they'd like the 999 or the electric fence idea?

CM: well, don't worry about that. Just, trust me on this one. They hate abortion.

Later....

Cain: how'd I do?
      CM: great! The media is picking it up. THis should put an end to this nonsense once and for all.

Days later...

Cain: It didn't work. What now?
      CM: The 2nd amendment. Let's work on some gun control language. That's should seal your fate with the GOP.
      Cain: I don't know....I just...want to die.

by mdmslle on Sat Oct 29, 2011 at 05:15:42 AM PDT

•  he hs no money and no infrastructure (2+ / 0-)
        mdmslle, COBALT1928

he is running a 'win the South' race.

He can't win with that.

by Greg Dworkin on Sat Oct 29, 2011 at 06:53:03 AM PDT

•  perhaps. But he IS raising money (0+ / 0-)

and he's started setting up infrastructure in Iowa just last week.

And last I hear he's running even or ahead in places other than the south.

I'm not Cain fan but really, I think the old "CW" about money and infrastructure may be a bit outmoded. I mean, yes, he'll need it. But what should he have done? Set up campaign offices in early states while he was polling at 4%? That's insane and who would do such a thing? It's why people like Bachmann have staffers quitting. Because they can't PAY THEIR BILLS.

Popularity and attention comes before money. I personally think it's wise NOT to spend millions on something when you have no support and no chance. And that's part of what's wrong with our politics. The fact is, that he's now raised his profile organically, and the money is following it. Including the illustrious Koch brothers. Meanwhile Mr. 25% is raising plenty but not winning over any voters since the same voters he had in 2007. Cain has also hired an Iowa team.

I have NO idea why people don't take this guy seriously. He's a political outsider, yes. But he's doing things differently and they SEEM to be working for him.

by mdmslle on Sat Oct 29, 2011 at 07:09:39 AM PDT

•  Oh he's getting plenty of money now (0+ / 0-)
      •  Laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair! (0+ / 0-)
    •  Almost impossible, but (4+ / 0-)
      r2did2, annieli, COBALT1928, Laconic Lib

Cain is even less qualified to be President than Sarah Palin.

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. George Carlin

by msmacgyver on Sat Oct 29, 2011 at 05:44:12 AM PDT