View Diary: Women and the Occupation - 2/3'rds of the working hours, 10% of the income (181 comments)

•  all we want is recent government statistics (0+ / 0-)

having to do with just the united states. I don't care how oppressed women in the middle east, or Africa, or southeast Asia are because I'm not willing to fight a war of aggression to liberate them. I just care about the United States since the movement we are talking about is an American one.

The stats given in the diary are useless to us. They say nothing about OUR current situation.

Standing up for men and their interests does not constitute misogyny. www.youtube.com/manwomanmyth

by SetaSan on Mon Oct 31, 2011 at 10:25:07 AM PDT

•  You say that, but somehow I am skeptical. n/t (3+ / 0-)
      splashy, Ellinorianne, FlamingoGrrl

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. - Mark Twain

by glitterscale on Mon Oct 31, 2011 at 11:08:25 AM PDT

•  be skeptical if you want (0+ / 0-)

but i want to see those numbers for just the united states. I promise you that they won't be nearly that alarming.

by SetaSan on Mon Oct 31, 2011 at 11:53:27 AM PDT

•  And even if they are you'll ignore them, (2+ / 0-)
          Ellinorianne, FlamingoGrrl

claim they "don't count", and go on spouting the same old bullshit right out of the (mostly mythical) Old Stone Age, when MEN were Mighty Hunters and women were meekly obedient chattel. (Things were never that simple or that clear-cut, but that never stops the Mighty Men Mythologizers.)

If it's
          Not your body
          Then it's
          Not your choice
          AND it's
          None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Mon Oct 31, 2011 at 01:05:21 PM PDT

•  Well, the numbers will be flawed (0+ / 0-)

if they show that the same kind of disparity exists in the US as exists globally. Anyone with a little bit of brainpower should be able to figure that's not the case. Just look around. Still not convinced? Go to a third-world country and look around.

You know what, I'll look up a data point (pdf):

The female-to-male earnings ratio varied by race and ethnicity. White women earned 82.5
            percent as much as their male counterparts, compared with black (90.2 percent), Asian (70.1
            percent), and Hispanic women (92.9 percent).

So, if you find some number out there that says women get 10% of the income (as the title of the diary says), that number is wrong. And these ratios are not controlled for education, experience, or profession.

The obvious answers are wrong. That's why we aren't doing them already.

by atheistben on Mon Oct 31, 2011 at 03:43:14 PM PDT

•  Heh (0+ / 0-)

"Mighty Men Mythologizers"

Love it.

I've got my spine, I've got my (DKos) orange crush, we are agents of the free.....R.E.M.

by FlamingoGrrl on Mon Oct 31, 2011 at 10:29:26 PM PDT

•  What I'm hearing in your demands (0+ / 0-)

is a demand for a woman to do the work of finding and displaying the statistics you so deeply desire.

"Woman, make me a spreadsheet"???

Or are you doing the research yourself, since it is a topic that interests you?  Perhaps I'm misconstruing your tone.

•  Look, nobody's stopping you from researching (0+ / 0-)

this and replying back here................

by FlamingoGrrl on Mon Oct 31, 2011 at 10:31:29 PM PDT