View Diary: Women and the Occupation - 2/3'rds of the working hours, 10% of the income (181 comments)

•  Oh I got age discrimination when I was 40 (4+ / 0-)

for crying out loud. It was just too awful for words. And THEN I got laid off early because they didn't want to pay a full pension.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. - Mark Twain

by glitterscale on Mon Oct 31, 2011 at 05:25:40 PM PDT

•  I'm so sorry (3+ / 0-)

that happened to you.  I would have been devastated.  When you lose your job, especially today, it is like the end of the world.  I always thought things would get easier as I got older, boy was I wrong.

It has been dirty tricks like this over the last G-d knows how many years that has people in their forties and fifties totally unprepared for old age.  By the 1980's they got rid of retirements, pensions, and profit sharing.  Remember profit sharing?

I really don't know what they want the American people to do, especially when women and minorities have always earned less than "white men with families."

Seriously, if our politicians lose an election or leave office they don't have to worry about where the next paycheck is coming from since they are all millionaires.  I would really like to see more average people in our government.  And not women or even men who are daughters and sons of Senators and Congressmen.  I mean look at Megan McCain who has a media career based simply on the fact that her father is a Senator.  Yeah, like that happens to average people.

The whole point is that over the last thirty years the so called "job creators," have been finding multiple ways to discriminate against anyone for any reason.  And when that stop working they picked up and left for overseas.

Well, I'm glad I'm as old as I am because I see my Niece overwhelmed with student loans and no job.  It is like the same shit, different day kinda of stuff that just makes trying to live a simple live difficult.  Now, I'm just babbling like an old person.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

by zaka1 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 at 07:04:23 PM PDT

•  I counted my blessings really (3+ / 0-)
        Ellinorianne, zaka1, FlamingoGrrl

I was over 60. I used my first husband's SS as insurance since he was diseased. I started my pension since I was old enough to do that. And I had severance. I got a small lump sum for health insurance which I could use with the company' selected options.

So many people now getting laid off get very little severance, they don't have or are not old enough to take advantage of SS in any way. They have no health insurance unless they can afford COBRA and it only lasts for 18 months.

So many people are exponentially worse off than I am. I complain about the age discrimination yes, but I cannot complain that there was nothing for me as so many could do today.

by glitterscale on Mon Oct 31, 2011 at 08:04:03 PM PDT

•  Well, (1+ / 0-)
          glitterscale

I glad you found a way.  Hey, I don't think we are complaining, but speaking the truth about why people are struggling and that is never complaining in my book.

I see it as more of revealing what needs to be fixed and if we don't speak out about it (and even if we do) those that are supposedly voted into office to represent the people will never know what the heck is going on.  I think also that we are all a part of something bigger, a collective, and we really do need each other.  If one of us is hurt by the system then all of us are vulnerable.  So, it isn't complaining, to me it is more coming together because no one is an island.

After all my schooling and working for years to get education and hopefully create some security for myself as a divorced woman I got sick at 47 years old.  I was actually attacked in an ER where I worked, it happens more frequently to medical personnel than is reported.  The attack triggered off a unknown at the time birth defect in the cerebellum that causes paralysis.  I had just paid off all my student loans, and got slap with a pre-existing condition and although I had health insurance I got soaked and put into huge medical debt.

It's a long story, but six neuro-sugeries later I've basically been through it all.  I'm almost sixty, not quite, but what a hell of ride life has been.  The Cuban Missile Crisis, Civil Rights, the lost of great leaders like MLK and the Kennedy's, the Viet Nam War, Women's Rights, Roe vs. Wade, etc., etc.  We are living history and our voices are important because we are history in the making.

So great to talk to you, it has been an honor to share this thread with you!

by zaka1 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 at 09:55:31 PM PDT

•  It's been said that what doesn't kill us (1+ / 0-)
            zaka1

makes us stronger.  Wow, I bet you could eat bears for breakfast!

by glitterscale on Mon Oct 31, 2011 at 10:29:20 PM PDT

•  LOL, (1+ / 0-)
              glitterscale

I'm vegetarian.  But, if I wasn't I could probably eat porcupines for breakfast, just kidding.  I'm not stronger, just more grumpy than when I was younger.

by zaka1 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 at 10:42:48 PM PDT