View Diary: Occupy Oakland Nov.2 Videographer Shot By Rubber Bullet Video (103 comments)

•  This isnt a police state: please return 2 shopping (20+ / 0-)

and depositing money in the big banks, and paying your mortgages and student loan debt.

So long as you do that you have nothing to fear.

People, not corporations. Democracy, not totalitarian capitalism.

by democracy is coming on Sun Nov 06, 2011 at 03:24:49 PM PST

•  Unless you are (19+ / 0-)

Wiccan

LGBT

Non-White

Atheist

Jewish,

Islamic

An Immigrant...

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Sun Nov 06, 2011 at 03:33:20 PM PST

•  Female (16+ / 0-)

Christian
        American Indian
        Female
        Jewish
        Female
        Asian
        Hispanic
        White
        Female
        Buddhist
        Female

In other words, if you an Old Rich White Man, you have nothing to fear.

•  What do Christians have to fear? nt (8+ / 0-)

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Sun Nov 06, 2011 at 04:36:18 PM PST

•  Ah yes I remember now (7+ / 0-)

We Ghey's are on a Jihad against them.

Poor, poor Christians.

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Sun Nov 06, 2011 at 05:37:33 PM PST

•  And us atheists (4+ / 0-)

who are just taking over control of the gubmint.

•  LOOK AT YOU, HORACE, discriminating against me. (0+ / 0-)

Isn't that interesting? I would not have expected it from you.

Just as many people of muslim faith are persecuted in this country for what a few violent extremists have done, so are Christians persecuted, because of the extremist views of a few nut jobs like Bachman and her kind.

I have lost jobs because of my faith, and because of people like you, who persecute out of ignorance. Same persecution the muslim people receive, for the same reasons, viewed from a different angle. It is all damn silly, from any direction you look at it. And now here we are, with you belittling my faith. How 'bout that?

I will protest for my country, right letters to protect my constitution, medicare, Unions, social security, move my money to protest greed, donate to OWS- And it is all O.K., until I say I am Christian.

If you want to see me get violent though, try sticking someone else's' religious beliefs into my GOVERNMENT, and consequently, into my personal relationship with GOD. THAT, is something I will go to war over.

In the mean time Horace, what are you going to do with your discrimination baggage? 'cause I don't need to post in your diaries, or rec them up, but I am hardly going away from here, this ;is my country too. Can you choke back you contempt and be on the same website? For my part, I forgive you.

•  Not out of ignorance my friend (2+ / 0-)
                  Azubia, kyril
                  because of people like you, who persecute out of ignorance

But experience.

I'm Transgender, don't you dare deign to lecture me about oppression.

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Sun Nov 06, 2011 at 09:21:20 PM PST

•  What did I ever do to you? Except support you? (0+ / 0-)
                  •  I love your Transgender self, Horace. (1+ / 0-)
                    democracy is coming

And I do not believe, dear soul, that God does not.

Truly. I will love my Horace, as I love myself.

•  Wow. Thank you for sharing that. (0+ / 0-)

I am stunned I guess. I hope that you can heal from whatever has been done to you by other stupid fearful people, and get to the point where you can grasp that we are not all hateful, and that fear of difference is really no part of the teachings of Christ.

Peace and healing to you Horace.  I am sorry for your hurts.

•  Whatever Jesus is supposed to have taught (3+ / 0-)
                      adrianrf, kyril, Horace Boothroyd III

is irrelevant.  We have a large sub culture, not just a few nut jobs, who use what they interpret their religion to be (in this country it's mainly the Christian religion) to intimidate and discriminate against others.

The federal government is basically an insurance company with an army. Paul Krugman

by Heart of the Rockies on Sun Nov 06, 2011 at 11:22:48 PM PST

•  The teachings of Jesus are not irrelevant . (1+ / 0-)
                        KenBee

Any more than the teachings of the Buddhists or the Muslims or any other major religion are irrelevant.

And I do not need to be discriminated against by this group of people, which is what you are doing, because of my faith.

You sound just like the "Christian people" who are afraid of the Muslim people, and do not want to see a Mosque in their neighborhood.  You sound just like the "Christian People" who
                        Hate all gay people. Or Women, or people of color. Those people are not Christian.

People who do those things are no more Christian than Fox News is a news Outlet. To condemn all Journalistic outlets based on Fox News, is silly.

And if any of you thought that Christians were NOT oppressed you now know, in no uncertain terms that we are. With the same ignorance that is used against the muslim people, or the gay people, or women.

You have demonstrated your discrimination and ignorance, right here, right now. The Hypocrisy of people on this website knows no bounds.

It is only discrimination when someone is doing it to YOU.

•  Over the top reaction (1+ / 0-)
                          Horace Boothroyd III

My point was that it's what some adherents to a religion believe and follow that is important, not whatever might be in an approved text.  And all major religions have many versions or sects, internal contradictions in practice, writings, etc.  Anyone who has read or done historical scholarship on any religious texts knows that there is no one "truth."  The Christian Bible being a very strong example.  There are many versions, and it has been edited and changed frequently over the centuries.

There are many people in this country who self identify as Christians who are dedicated to denying others the right to practice a religion as they see fit or no religion, if that is their choice.  The wall between church and state  has been systematically assaulted throughout my life time (I am a senior) with the desire to put up Christian religious texts in public places, support religious activities such as charity and schooling with taxpayer money, etc.  That is hardly discrimination against the Christian religion.  It is a blatant attempt to impose some people's personal version of one religion on everyone else

by Heart of the Rockies on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 06:51:43 AM PST

•  YOU are the one discriminating. (0+ / 0-)

And Horace, and other people responding to my "coming out" as Christian last night.

I can deal with your scientific dissection and disregard of my faith, I'm frankly used to it. The first, and most humiliating time was in my Religious studies class at Berkeley, taught by people for whom faith an belief is like some macabre wound that they just can't stop pickiing at..
                             That was a real wake up call, and I've gotten a lot stronger now

I'm so terribly sorry for what you have denied yourself.

If you believe that what the lowest common denominator says about Christianity, as it is propagandized by people like Bachman and fox news, is in fact what is relevant about that religion, or any other religion, or for that matter believers in Climate Change, or pro Choice for women, or the Muslim faith, you are truly fucked up. You display the trappings of education, but no wisdom or compassion. I am sorry for all of us if that it true. Honey, you've drunk the kool-aid.

Regardless, be blessed.
                             You are believing the main stream media, as sold to you by the left.

•  Compare your comments to mine (0+ / 0-)

I have not criticized an entire group of people, just a subset who are intolerant.  I have not disparaged you or called you names.

Reread what you've said about me.  Very emotional and personal.  Since I never attacked you or your personal beliefs, it's inappropriate to respond in that manner to my comments and doesn't reflect well on either you or your belief system.

Peace ( in all languages and cultures).

by Heart of the Rockies on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 08:26:11 AM PST

•  You have absolutely attacked my beliefs (0+ / 0-)

By not reading before you wrote.

You are just one more person here who thinks that it is not discrimination, as long as it is you who is doing it.

Nothing anywhere is going to get better, as long as this view is held by any of us.

But you've all justified yourselves to yourselves, and put it back on me. You are the mirror of the republicans. It is Always the victims fault.
                            C'ya-

•  You clearly have not read the two (0+ / 0-)

comments I made.  Neither of which personally attacked you or your beliefs in any way.  The wild emotions and unsubstantiated charges you've made are very disturbing.  I sincerely hope you're OK.

by Heart of the Rockies on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 05:07:01 PM PST

•  You start with the most ignorant, incendiary (0+ / 0-)

remark you could make to someone who is Christian:

Whatever Jesus is supposed to have taught
                            is irrelevant.

And expect you are not going to get a passionate answer in response from that Christian?

You jumped in on a very personal comment directed to the author of the diary, wherein I am stating that I hope he can heal from the evil that has been done to him/her in the name of Christ. And that he can come to understand that we are not all like that, clearly marking myself as Christian, and meaning every word of it. I am ALWAYS appalled at the hatred and fear that comes in the name of one who taught only lover and sacrifice.
                             At which point you jump into the conversation and say that my beliefs are not relevant, and neither is Christ.
                            how in the hell am I NOT to construe your attack as personal under those circumstances?

I have many friends who are LBGT that have suffered badly at the hands of those who should have cared for them, all in the name of Christ. That doesn't mean all CHRISTIANS are evil.

You all discriminate. And I am sorry for you.

•  It isn't ignorant (0+ / 0-)

If you don't know the history of the Bible, how and when it was written, why it has what it has in it today,  then you're the one who is deeply ignorant.  And continue to be abusive in your comments.

by Heart of the Rockies on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 06:06:45 PM PST

•  How is your comment even answering what I (0+ / 0-)

just wrote to you?

You crashed into a thread and started making mean comments without even knowing what the hell the thread was about,
                            and now you are trying to blame me for being upset that you have stomped all over my religious beliefs.

YEah I am upset, and no I am not going to tell you that what you have done is alright so you can feel better about it.

And now this conversation needs to stop, before it gets any more ridiculous. We don't agree. I don't think we are even having the same conversation anymore.

Stop now.

•  Them and white guys over fifty n/t (0+ / 0-)

“The real truth of the matter is that a financial element in the large centers has owned the government since the days of Andrew Jackson” -Franklin D. Roosevelt, US President, 1933

by You know me man on Sun Nov 06, 2011 at 08:31:07 PM PST

•  Us Old White Men are part of the 99% (2+ / 0-)
          mrkvica, kyril

I guess it is my fault I'm not rich. But amazingly, by some definitions, I am a millionaire.  My house is still worth lots (I live in a rich part of the Bay Area) but my yearly property taxes are killing me.  I can't afford to move, I can't afford to stay, I'm in a catch 22.  Maybe that makes me a 22%?

"War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength", George Orwell, "1984" -7.63 -5.95

by dangoch on Sun Nov 06, 2011 at 04:59:36 PM PST

•  I only mean the SUPER RICH OLD WHITE MEN. (1+ / 0-)
            Heart of the Rockies

99% Old White Guys ROCK!

I hope your house problem solves itself.

In the mean time I am properly taken to task. I will search for a better definition of the evil old men like Cheney and McCaine.

Unless they are you relatives or something, and then I will just go dig a hole and climb in, in shame. (I'll be more careful to ry not to offend)