View Diary: Clint Eastwood Doesn’t Give A F*ck About Gay Marriage (221 comments)

•  I've been known to nod my head in time with... (9+ / 0-)

... the music when I hear a showtune.

Solidarity, yeah?

Regards,
    Corporate Dog

-----
    We didn't elect Obama to be an expedient president. We elected him to be a great one. -- Eugene Robinson

by Corporate Dog on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 10:40:13 AM PST

•  Fuck it. Who am I kidding? (11+ / 0-)

I can sing whole stanzas from Phantom of the Opera, and often do. I've also been known to entertain my daughter with Gaston's song from 'Beauty and the Beast', which is about as confused-butch as you can get.

Regards,
      Corporate Dog

-----

by Corporate Dog on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 10:46:24 AM PST

•  Very cute. (18+ / 0-)

Last night I was at a friend's mixed birthday party and a big, burly, swarthy Puerto Rican guy had mentioned he was getting married.

Later I asked him about his "wife to be" and everyone's jaw dropped, and he said, "Wife?!"

I guess my gaydar needs a tune-up.

Who can tell anymore?

0: Number of Wall Street bankers arrested over economy crash of 2008. 3350: Number of Americans arrested protesting their fraudulent practices as of 11/06/2011

by Scott Wooledge on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 10:57:48 AM PST

•  God, Scott. (6+ / 0-)

God can tell.

Regards,
          Corporate Dog

-----

by Corporate Dog on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 11:05:00 AM PST

•  I try to assume everyone is gay (2+ / 0-)
          kyril, Clarknt67

in order not to hurt anyone's feelings by assuming otherwise.

Y'gotta put all that practice with gender-nonspecific pronouns to good use.

•  What practice? (1+ / 0-)
            Clarknt67

English doesn't have a dual-gendered pronoun, which is what has led to linguistic abortions like he/she, or the obnoxiously un-pronoun-ceable "s/he."

We need a word... or we need to give the whole thing up as made-up feelgood bullshit.

--Shannon

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." -- Emiliano Zapata Salazar
            "Dissent is patriotic. Blind obedience is treason." --me

by Leftie Gunner on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 04:54:44 PM PST

•  one/you/they (0+ / 0-)

English has plenty of ungendered pronoun possibilities.

One ought to know how to work them. You look for ways around identifying the sex of the person. Note that "you" can be used both as a singular and as a plural - so, really, there is no logical problem with using "they" the same way - we naturally do it in conversation. "I was talking to somebody yesterday about that movie and they said that movie was really dumb, too!" That may sound informal (or grammatically incorrect) but it has been used artfully in literature for centuries.

When I ask if someone is coupled:

Are you seeing someone special?
              Do you consider yourself single or ...

I tend to ask about interests and activities and jobs and leave openings for the person to drop references to a significant other. Be creative. Work around the topic. My ears tend to prick up when I hear ungendered pronouns - it often shouts same-sex coupling - but the kids these days are pretty good at hiding gender when talking so you get what you get. And I'm good with that. People tell you what they want to tell you.

•  There exists no single word in English (0+ / 0-)

that correctly refers to an individual human, who obviously has one of two sexes, but whose sex is unknown.

Neuter doesn't do it... unless you're talking about eunuchs.

It's a defect in the language... not a tool of the oppressor. Using the female gender for situations of indeterminate sex would be just as wrong, and just as correct, as using the male is.

Feel free to make up a word. Just make sure that it is short, distinct, and pronounceable... or you'll never get anywhere, linguistic inertia being what it is.

Saying that the proposed solutions all suck or can't work is not the same thing as saying that there isn't a problem... a lesson that has plenty of other applications. Global warming, for example.

--Shannon

"Dissent is patriotic. Blind obedience is treason." --me

by Leftie Gunner on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 06:52:48 PM PST

•  taking advantage of an opportunity (0+ / 0-)

I have the feeling you weren't replying to my comment.

But here's an opportunity to link to another fun article - apparently people have been coining fresh new (essential!) neuter pronouns for more than 150 years.

Coinages include: ne, thon, hi, e, ta, lim, and ip

•  'dude' isn't good enough? (0+ / 0-)

hear young women say it to each other...

and then there's 'hey babe'

but you're right about the language fail

'hello citizen'

or 'hello humaoid'

will take awhile to get used to.

..squinting all the while in the glare of a culture that radiates ultraviolet consumerism and infrared celebrity...Russell Brand

by KenBee on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 10:44:05 PM PST

•  Heh... (7+ / 0-)

...I've been known to sing--along with another guy, both of us straight and married--the entirety of "If I Were a Rich Man" from Fiddler on the Roof, loudly, in a crowded bar in South Dakota.

He has since become an insufferable Teabagger--one of those sad "but 9/11 changed everything" Dennis Miller sort of cases.  But I'm still known to sing the occasional show tune in public.  Let 'em wonder.  :-D

PW

"No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream." --MLK

by Progressive Witness on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 11:37:49 AM PST

•  I *love* that song (5+ / 0-)

Every last inch of me's covered with HAIR!

Being ignored is the difference between being a one percenter and an American.--sweeper

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 12:02:44 PM PST

•  Right? Very catchy. (2+ / 0-)
          Clarknt67, kyril

As for Menken and Rice? Straight boys.

And in keeping with the theme of this diary, I give you the never before published interview that they did with The Advocate...

Advocate Interviewer: There are some who accuse you of indoctrinating children into the "gay lifestyle" through Disney cartoons...

Alan Menken: I'm not even gonna let you finish. Those people can go fuck themselves. Indoctrinating children? What the fuck is that?

Tim Rice: Seriously! Go buy your tickets to 'Spider-Man: Turn Out the Dark' or whatever stupid shit you slobs buy tickets to when you're slumming in New York, okay? We make music for people who have two fucking brain cells to rub together, gay OR straight.

Alan Menken: Fucking-A! You think not drooling on yourself while watching Blue Man Group pound on some fucking pipes is the height of theatrical sophistication? You can blow me. And when you're done with THAT, my man Andrew Lloyd "Wild Man" Webber is waiting for a reach-around. Is THAT enough gay "indoctrination" for you?

Tim Rice: Welcome to Broadway, bitches! We RUN this street!

Regards,
          Corporate Dog

-----

by Corporate Dog on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 12:41:04 PM PST

•  OMFG. That is hilarious and awesome. (2+ / 0-)
            Clarknt67, kyril

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 01:01:44 PM PST

•  What do you mean previously unpublished? (1+ / 0-)
            Corporate Dog

Are you serious? Did you make this up? This is awesome, is it real, where did you get it?

by Scott Wooledge on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 05:43:26 PM PST

•  I want you to know, Scott, how much it PAINS me... (0+ / 0-)

... to have to break character when I'm doing my shtick. But in telling you that, I hope I'm also conveying how much I respect you when I say...

Sir Timothy Miles Bindon Rice, Knight Bachelor of the Order of the British Empire, NEVER said, "Welcome to Broadway, bitches! We run this street!"

Regards,
              Corporate Dog

-----

by Corporate Dog on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 06:25:45 PM PST

•  Thank you. (1+ / 0-)
                Corporate Dog

It was important, or I wouldn't have pressed you. Well done! Very authentic.

by Scott Wooledge on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 07:22:53 PM PST

•  No worries. I'd never let you run with that. (1+ / 0-)
                  Clarknt67

I sometimes forget that the contorted faces I'm making while writing such comments, don't magically appear on the other end of the screen.

Regards,
                  Corporate Dog

-----

by Corporate Dog on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 07:46:33 PM PST

•  That's the limit of my versatility. (2+ / 0-)
      ivorybill, kyril

I'm not narrow, but musical theater on the whole tends to repulse me.

There are a scant few exceptions.

grieving citizen of the murdered Republic, unrepentant rebel against the Empire.

by khereva on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 12:42:17 PM PST

•  hah hah (4+ / 0-)
        khereva, Clarknt67, kyril, KenBee

I'm a typical straight guy when it comes to musical theater, and groan whenever my wife insists on me joining her for some production.  She shares her passion for musicals with our friend and neighbor, who is a high school music teacher, gay, and kinda fits the stereotypes in terms of musical taste.

But, hey, I like to grow orchids.  So, f-yea, solidarity!

“If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin.” Charles Darwin

by ivorybill on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 01:27:00 PM PST

•  A Wifesitter, as The Man Show parody ad put it. (3+ / 0-)
          Clarknt67, ivorybill, kyril

Good on her, and you, and him.

I am deeply blessed that my Tiger and I have such closely matching tastes in movies.

by khereva on Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 01:32:43 PM PST