View Diary: Navigating White Privilege and Liberal Racism: 10 Tips for Blogging While Black On the Daily Kos (228 comments)

•  Taking a stab at 11 (2+ / 0-)
    mallyroyal, jts327

11.  Everything you say will be under twice the scrutiny, and every slip-up will never be forgotten.  There are no bad days for those nobly representing an underprivileged group* on DailyKos.

* I am white, and female.  The experience is not the same, and I don't claim it is, but I could, if I wanted, write a parallel version of this.  I happen to also disagree strongly with what the diarist said in that previous discussion, but think that has nothing to do with the excellent points they are making here.  (That may not be the link you were first thinking of, but I'm on an iPad too, and I thought it illustrated that there is a history between you and the diarist.)

•  < / a > (1+ / 0-)
      badscience

And whoops, HTML fail.  Pay no attention to the unclosed tag behind the curtain.

•  would apply (4+ / 0-)
      Larsstephens, jts327, antimony, Avila

keep them coming.

•  If the diarist had ever (1+ / 0-)
      ehrenfeucht games

Said he was wrong about that diary, I would back off.  But he has doubled, tripled and quadrupled down on it.  Seriously, go read it and his responses, them come back and tell me I am wrong.

"Empty vessels make the loudest sound, they have the least wit and are the greatest blabbers" Plato

by Empty Vessel on Tue Nov 08, 2011 at 06:51:55 PM PST

•  and (5+ / 0-)

I stand by what I said. why does that gall you so. Are you going to show every time I write something to talk about that stuff?

you need to go process the issue. write a haiku, a poem, a story, write a play.

you don't know me, will never meet me, and this is all online stuff, let it go. your obsession is odd. really.

•  You are right, and this will be my last comment (1+ / 0-)
          ehrenfeucht games

In any diary of yours.  But in answer to why I have gone over the top in my disgust for you, it really comes down to this.

You attacked a powerless, weak and humiliated 14 year old girl for your own personal amusement and moral superiority.  And far from being sickened by your actions, you are proud.

by Empty Vessel on Tue Nov 08, 2011 at 06:59:56 PM PST

•  If what he said above is representative (2+ / 0-)
            mallyroyal, Avila

of what his position was on that subject, then you are clearly taking his remarks, like WAY out of context.

Calm down.  You seem to be overreacting needlessly here.

"The bottom line is, we've got to wake up. We can't allow our disappointment in Obama to lull us into allowing a truly dangerous strain of conservative philosophy to gain any more traction than it already has." --ObamOcala 4/5/11

by smoothnmellow on Wed Nov 09, 2011 at 12:03:26 AM PST

•  That's an interesting comment to make... (1+ / 0-)
          Larsstephens

...on the heels of the comment below.

who decides if I am in the "right" place or not?  you?

Who decides whether or not the commenter should be here, you?

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win". Mohandas K. Gandhi

by DaveinBremerton on Tue Nov 08, 2011 at 07:01:21 PM PST

•  she can do as she wishes (3+ / 0-)
            Larsstephens, mallyroyal, Avila

if he/she wants to talk about this issue forever, and misrepresent what I wrote from her own frame, so be it.

i am just signaling that it is a dead issue and a bit bizarre. i could post a great recipe for thanksgiving turkey and he/she would show up talking about that post.

weird is all. obsessive. and as i said, should be processed some way.

•  I just read that diary. (2+ / 0-)
              Empty Vessel, Sychotic1

As the father of two daughters, I would respectfully ask you to please edit the title to remove the girl's name from the title.

"If I can't dance, then I don't want to be in your revolution"--Emma Goldman

by ehrenfeucht games on Tue Nov 08, 2011 at 09:17:39 PM PST

•  as the person who wrote the diary (2+ / 0-)
                mallyroyal, Avila

i respectfully decline.

i a member of the community to which she belongs i respectfully decline.

as someone who breathes air and likes coca cola I respectfully decline.

as a Sapporo beer lover I respectfully decline.

see where this is going?

her name was out there long before. sorry.

that is part of the convo her pops should have had with her.

•  What did this 14 year old girl ever do to you? (2+ / 0-)
                  Empty Vessel, Sychotic1

Why does she deserve to be treated this way?

Sometimes Daily Kos really disgusts me.

And this is one of those times.

"If I can't dance, then I don't want to be in your revolution"--Emma Goldman

by ehrenfeucht games on Tue Nov 08, 2011 at 09:27:36 PM PST

•  You know what? I'm a black female (2+ / 0-)
                    mallyroyal, Avila

and I agree with the remarks he made in THIS diary about that subject.  While I hold with distain the act of filming the act without her consent or knowledge, the whole issue of teenage promiscuity seems to be the point missing here.

It seems to have gone over many folks' head.  Like duh people...

by smoothnmellow on Wed Nov 09, 2011 at 12:09:46 AM PST

•  i am an old white man (0+ / 0-)

and father of a white woman, thank you for your comment in defense of the diarist.
                      i wonder at times about the lack of reading comprehension here.

...sin that pays its way can travel freely, and without a passport,whereas Virtue, if a pauper is stopped at all frontiers. from The Sermon, Moby Dick

by jts327 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 at 04:53:37 AM PST

•  Teanage promiscuity can be addressed without... (0+ / 0-)

...leaving the girl's name in the title of the diary.

I find it quite shocking that a diary written in october could remain on Daily Kos this long with her name still in the title.

The diarist is not the only person with the ability to edit that title, and even if the diarist (who is just one of thousands of dKos users here) seems beyond persuasion on that point, the fact that her name remains in the title to this day reflects quite poorly on the administration of Daily Kos.

Plent of time has elapsed for the title to have been edited and her name to be removed by Kos himself.

"If I can't dance, then I don't want to be in your revolution"--Emma Goldman

by ehrenfeucht games on Wed Nov 09, 2011 at 06:37:42 AM PST

•  In the "white" frame your past haunts you (0+ / 0-)

Look at how important one's reputation is in "white" culture. How some people will use your words against you or make ruining your reputation a "blood sport".

The proper way forward is to value redemption and to acknowledge that people can change their hearts and attitudes.  We must create space for people to honestly air their experience and concerns to get to that place of redemption. Sometimes that will be "uncomfortable"

--Mr. President, you have to earn my vote every day. Not take it for granted. --

by chipoliwog on Wed Nov 09, 2011 at 09:50:44 AM PST

•  See this is the point. Right here. (3+ / 0-)
        mallyroyal, jts327, Avila

Since when does someone have to say they are wrong about their own opinion?  That's the problem.  Just say you strongly disagree with that person's opinion and keep it moving...

by smoothnmellow on Wed Nov 09, 2011 at 12:00:53 AM PST

•  why are you obsessed with this? nt (0+ / 0-)

by jts327 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 at 04:49:48 AM PST