View Diary: Navigating White Privilege and Liberal Racism: 10 Tips for Blogging While Black On the Daily Kos (228 comments)

•  No sheet. (3+ / 0-)
    SwedishJewfish, mrbeen38, Avila

Okay?  My thoughts exactly.  It's exactly what I thought about when reading that persons' post.

"The bottom line is, we've got to wake up. We can't allow our disappointment in Obama to lull us into allowing a truly dangerous strain of conservative philosophy to gain any more traction than it already has." --ObamOcala 4/5/11

by smoothnmellow on Wed Nov 09, 2011 at 12:42:38 AM PST

•  Me three. (1+ / 0-)
      SwedishJewfish

Merely question any part of the Occupy movement and you will be called a troll.  Learned that lesson when I questioned the benefit vs damage to the community of Occupy Oakland the other day... Also see above argument re John Lewis.

•  Now we're getting somewhere. (0+ / 0-)

Occupy Oakland is a more complex conversation.  I've only read the very basics, and I don't live in the area.  What specifically do you see as the issues?

Vandals horning in on what should be a peaceful movement?
        GA resolutions that do more harm than good?

Occupy as a movement is one of the few reasons I have any hope.  They've done great so far.  Who knows what they'll do next?  I don't.  I may not support it.  I think that would be a shame.

-7.75 -4.67

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

There are no Christians in foxholes.

by Odysseus on Wed Nov 09, 2011 at 08:19:35 AM PST

•  Respectfully, (2+ / 0-)
          SwedishJewfish, mallyroyal

Occupy Oakland is an infinitely less complex conversation than conversation of race taking place in this diary.  Attitudes and thoughts on race have been formed over thousands of years.  Thoughts and attitudes on Occupy Oakland have only been a month in the making.  Your deflection to say that it is a more complex conversation could be seen as a counterpoint to your "Bullshit #2."  I brought up Occupy Oakland however, so maybe I am really the one deflecting.

In any event, I am not sure I want to hijack the conversation here and go deeper into Occupy Oakland.  I will say though that the fragility of Oakland and its already struggling and dilapidated downtown make it a far, far different place to protest than at the foot of power on Wall Street.  The collateral damage being suffered by the downtown community and the SMALL businesses there is, in my opinion, causing more harm than good and is also causing a loss of hearts and minds of the 99% who should otherwise be in support of the movement.  Alas, I took the bait and probably already said too much.  Awaiting flames, ridicule, and scorn...

•  Informed by history does not mean predestined. (0+ / 0-)

Understood.  But we can look to the future and build something better.

-7.75 -4.67

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

There are no Christians in foxholes.

by Odysseus on Wed Nov 09, 2011 at 09:57:47 AM PST

•  Occupy Oakland (0+ / 0-)

Yes.  And if the General Assembly is any kind of actual democracy, the suggestions and actions taken will be different.  That doesn't make them more or less valid.

Some good outcomes can only be reached by unlikely paths.  Some tactics foreclose some good outcomes.  How do we get the best outcomes?

And that's sad.

-7.75 -4.67

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

There are no Christians in foxholes.

by Odysseus on Wed Nov 09, 2011 at 10:02:25 AM PST

•  Keep speaking out (1+ / 0-)
            mrbeen38

a lot of people feel the same way but are afraid to bring it up for all of the reasons you mentioned. But it really needs to be said.

R.I.P. Troy Anthony Davis
            October 9, 1968 - September 21, 2011

by SwedishJewfish on Wed Nov 09, 2011 at 10:16:10 AM PST

•  Re: Lewis (0+ / 0-)

You can't change the past.  It happened.

Sometimes people just aren't ready to talk.  Lewis might meet a different reception today.  But I really don't think you can extrapolate from one incident and say "nothing good will ever come from this".

Be angry if you want.  But look for chances to change things.

-7.75 -4.67

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

There are no Christians in foxholes.

by Odysseus on Wed Nov 09, 2011 at 08:24:16 AM PST

•  Did someone estrapolate "no good will come?" (3+ / 0-)
          Odysseus, SwedishJewfish, Oh Mary Oh

The argument re Lewis above, as I take it, provides a strong counterpoint to your "Bullshit #3" claim.  Chauncey appears to be expressing that in his view there was reason for folks, black and otherwise, to be offended by the treatment Lewis received by Occupy Atlanta.  Argument then ensued that Chauncey was falling for a conservative perpetrated lie and really there was no reason for offense.  It comes across as an attempt to let him know that despite whatever experience and background he brings to the table, he is just wrong and his experience of the event cannot be accepted and is not welcome here.  Just my opinion though...

Nowhere was I claiming that the Lewis event shows that "nothing good will ever come" of the occupy movement.