View Diary: The American Dream Makes Us Selfish & Proud Of It (49 comments)

•  What would you call the Kochs (2+ / 0-)
    LynneK, Liberal Of Limeyland

They are lucky. My family not as lucky but luckier having two still married parents who went to college. That is the luck I'm talking about.

Everyone works hard.

There are too many people in this country for "Lord of the flies".

The radical Republican party is the party of oppression, fear, loathing and above all more money and power for the people who robbed us.

by a2nite on Fri Nov 11, 2011 at 07:06:38 AM PST

•  I'm not talking about the Koch's, although i think (1+ / 0-)
      atheistben

they probably work very hard at being evil.

Your parents were lucky to graduate college? Do you think they matriculated, hung out in a dorm for 4 years, and then drew straws to see who would get a diploma?

Like I said before, if something happens to someone that is "unlucky", that doesn't auto-make someone who that didn't happen to "lucky".

Justified anger does not grant you unrestricted license.

by GoGoGoEverton on Fri Nov 11, 2011 at 07:20:38 AM PST

•  unearned advantage (6+ / 0-)

I did not pick my parents, or their income, or the value they placed on education, or the timing of my birth. I could have chosen to ignore or fritter away my advantages. But I did nothing to "deserve" being born in a certain time, place, and manner.

There is a large measure of unearned advantage in my life story. Some people call that luck.

Just because you're not a drummer doesn't mean that you don't have to keep time. -- T. Monk

by susanala on Fri Nov 11, 2011 at 08:02:56 AM PST

•  I'd call it "self-hate" but w/e. nt (1+ / 0-)
          rmp690

Justified anger does not grant you unrestricted license.

by GoGoGoEverton on Fri Nov 11, 2011 at 08:06:14 AM PST

•  Wrong. (7+ / 0-)

what the hell is self-hating about recognizing that you've been fortunate?  No one here is saying that being lucky is bad; just that hard work alone does not guarantee riches.

There are plenty of people who aren't even in the 1%, but maybe in the 25%, who definitely have an advantage from birth.  A college fund, parents who invest in a business start-up, or just simply growing up in a healthy, well-off family in which you learn how to live with money.

And then there are the hard working scrappy folks that make it; you don't think there's a little bit of luck there?  You just happen to bump into the right person at the grocery store, your main competitor suddenly has to skip town for some reason, or just starting up a business during the right economic conditions.

And hell, look at Wall Street.  You honestly think those fucks are there because of hard work?  For them, it's a combination of luck and dishonesty.

Hard work is no longer a formula for success.  You need to know someone, be born in a certain family, you need to be in the right place at the right time, and you might even need to be a little ruthless.  Such an austere, competitive environment does not foster good human relations and broad success.  It's dog eat dog and only a select few make it.

"Mediocrity cannot know excellence." -- Sherlock Holmes

by La Gitane on Fri Nov 11, 2011 at 09:54:06 AM PST

•  Again, I disagree on terms mostly. (0+ / 0-)

I don't think the only alternative to "unlucky" is "lucky" or "fortunate".

I'd have to wager you don't think you've had many of those "coincidences" that you listed, because you'd realize that often you have to make those opportunities happen, or at least realize them for what they are, and utilize them successfully. I hope you don't go to job fairs and just bump into people hoping to get hired.

Justified anger does not grant you unrestricted license.

by GoGoGoEverton on Fri Nov 11, 2011 at 11:07:34 AM PST

•  Being born to parents.... (2+ / 0-)
                La Gitane, burnt out

...who can care for you and assure your education and health is luck. You want to argue semantics, but how can you say that a child born today by refugees living in a tent in Sudan is not unlucky, vs. a child born today from parents with good jobs in a NYC hospital?

Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace. - Dalai Lama

by kimoconnor on Fri Nov 11, 2011 at 12:13:12 PM PST

•  I don't see how that conflicts, though. (0+ / 0-)

You say "how can you say that a child born today by refugees" isn't unlucky, but that's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying you're not necessarily "lucky" to be born to middle-class parents in France who don't get divorced. You're lucky if you're born to British blue bloods.

Justified anger does not grant you unrestricted license.

by GoGoGoEverton on Fri Nov 11, 2011 at 02:37:29 PM PST

•  Of course not (1+ / 0-)
                GoGoGoEverton

But while the idea that you can "make" things happen is good from a spiritual and self-improvement perspective, it is not always the case.

All the marketing, advertising and networking in the world might not be enough to bring in the revenue that you need to make it big.

But it has been know to happen that someone who spends very little on marketing winds up meeting the right person who changes the entire direction of their business.

Fortunate events happen, but no amount of hard work or intention is going to make them happen.  Hard work makes things more likely to happen, but you have nothing without a little bit of luck.

"Mediocrity cannot know excellence." -- Sherlock Holmes

by La Gitane on Fri Nov 11, 2011 at 01:02:09 PM PST

•  Well, I never denied a little bit of luck is good. (1+ / 0-)
                  La Gitane

Maybe I misstated or you misunderstood what the original poster I responded to was implying, but I never said luck wasn't or isn't ever a factor, but the implication that life is one big roll of the dice from birth to death is ridiculous, and that attitude isn't a feasible or helpful one regardless of the economic or political structure your nation adopts.

Justified anger does not grant you unrestricted license.

by GoGoGoEverton on Fri Nov 11, 2011 at 02:39:00 PM PST