View Diary: Bam! Manhattan Borough President to Mayor Bloomberg: "Zuccotti Park is not Tiananmen Square" | #OWS (237 comments)

•  The Republicans aren't even dumb (9+ / 0-)

enough to propose cutting benefits to the =>65 set except the poorest ones in states that can easily disenfranchise them.

•  It is so totally BS when the Resident Evil is your (9+ / 0-)

very own government.

This Occupy movement has definitely expanded the potential for more progressive change. Occupy also helps provide opportunity to expunge at least some of the Evil.

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha

by 4Freedom on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 04:32:03 PM PST

•  LOL! 'Resident Evil'. One wonders, with so (6+ / 0-)

many 'targets', like old people, women in general, brown people, disabled people, teh gay peepul, poor people, homeless people, 'illegal' people, teh libruls, etc., they must be confused.  Why is our Government at war with us?  Re-naming their wars (Drug War = something else now?) isn't changing the facts.
        Even the most evil of Republicans must have a guilt meter somewhere down in the depths.  With all of these American People being attacked, who is left to vote for the ones doing the attacking?  Hello Blue Wave.

#OccupyOMC - "We have a permit, its called The Constitution".

by Evolutionary on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 04:58:06 PM PST

•  Occupy ... one of the most important things (10+ / 0-)

to come out of this movement was the sense that I am not alone. Me. Personally. Not alone.

I just turned 60. Single. No kids. My retirement savings are kaput, about 30% of what I had 4 years ago. I was feeling ashamed. A bit stupid, which was ridiculous on the face of it but I felt it none the less.

Last week an acquaintance told me the she and her husband figured that they needed at least $1,000,000 in the bank for retirement and anyone who hadn't managed to stash away that much was stupid and irresponsible if they thought that social security was going to take care of them. I wanted to strangle her.

Is it reasonable to believe that everyone, EVERYONE should have enough money socked away to live to be 100 without working for 35 years? Was it reasonable to think that everyone can keep working forever? Isn't that the definition of social security? We all contribute and those who happen live to be 100 get to live in dignity?

RANT>

Hell yes. They are coming after ME. And it's radicalizing me.

Still not sure what to do about it but that long list you just made ... surely, surely the most important thing we can do collectively is to stop believing that we're alone and it's all our own fault.

"Let us not look back to the past with anger, nor towards the future with fear, but look around with awareness." James Thurber

by annan on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 06:36:50 PM PST

•  That's kind of how I felt when I first heard (7+ / 0-)
            annan, DawnN, Creosote, melo, Timothy J, Marie, Matt Z

about OWS.  I felt alone, afraid, weak, etc. every time I read the news for the last ten years.  The birth of this movement is like nothing before it.  I now feel courage, hope, and a will of steel.  I will NOT be moved.  There are more of us than there are of them.
            It is NOT our fault.  We have been manipulated, coerced, lied to, cheated on, and told to tighten our fucking belts long enough.  We the People are awake now.

#OccupyOMC - "We have a permit, its called The Constitution".

by Evolutionary on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 06:47:35 PM PST

•  The blinders that are slowly (9+ / 0-)

being taken off because of the light Occupy is shedding on the systemic failures in the US is but a small first step.  The "resident evil" is wider and deeper than our governments.  It's in us.  "Our way of life" as we live it today is dependent on war, decimating lands and peoples for the natural resources we consume, and goods produced by people that aren't paid a living wage.

•  It will take an inner revolution to effect change (6+ / 0-)

on that deep a level. Many who are getting by in our economy are not yet fully aware of how each of us is personally involved in the global economy, and its resulting impact on the rest of the world.

The smash and grabbers, aka the 1%, muddy the effects of our plunder via the media they own. The recently curtailed American spectacle of over-consumption hasn't yet been shown up as exploitation of global labor and resources.

With some good Occupation education, perhaps this process will be hastened. I hope so.

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha

by 4Freedom on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 05:21:47 PM PST

•  Maybe this is what the DFH's meant when they (1+ / 0-)
            Marie

Were talking about a new age.  Aquarius.  Then, you have the Mayan calendar saying that an age has ended, and a new one begins soon (not the end of the world, just a change).
            I'm sure there are plenty of fanatics out there that are absolutely sure that Armageddon is upon them.  If change=Armageddon, well then they have a real problem don't they?

#OccupyOMC - "We have a permit, its called The Constitution".

by Evolutionary on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 07:19:19 PM PST

•  But apparently a few Dems on the "Super (4+ / 0-)
      Marie, annan, pgm 01, Timothy J

Committee" are.  It has me shaking my head in disbelief.  I thought that I was a Democrat.  If that means the same thing as some of our elected representatives, there must be two kinds, or several kinds of Democrat.

#OccupyOMC - "We have a permit, its called The Constitution".

by Evolutionary on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 04:59:50 PM PST

• Labor (18)
  • Law (18)
  • Spam (17)
  • Barack Obama (17)
  • Media (17)
  • Republicans (17)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (15)
  • White House (14)
  • International (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site