View Diary: Corporations are NOT People: Support my Constitutional Amendment to Repeal Citizens United (196 comments)

•  He just did- we were faster..lol (18+ / 0-)

"Time is for careful people, not passionate ones."

"Life without emotions is like an engine without fuel."

by roseeriter on Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 11:04:19 AM PST

•  The above link is to the petition (18+ / 0-)

Here's a link to the Joint Resolution (.pdf document only two pages, double-spaced) with the proposed wording of the Amendment.

It is brief and concise, something I always liked about the original wording of the Constitution and Bill of Rights as written by the Founding Fathers.

I signed the petition after reading the proposed Joint Resolution for the Amendment.

Here's the web page with biographical info about Rep. McGovern.

by NonnyO on Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 12:00:43 PM PST

•  By the wording of the amendment, (7+ / 0-)

you might no longer be able to sue out-of-state corporations in federal court on a large number of claims.  For any other purposes, unless 1 U.S.C. 1 is also repealed, it wouldn't matter.

Based on the biographical info on Rep. McGovern, he should do better at writing bills, unless it's for show.

"This world demands the qualities of youth: not a time of life but a state of mind[.]" -- Robert F. Kennedy

by Loge on Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 12:08:30 PM PST

•  not clear from the wording (2+ / 0-)
        NonnyO, Onomastic

if unions, non-profit corporations, not-for profit corporations, public or private universities, corporations that have media businesses, or loosely formed entities such as OWS would be included.

If any of the above are excluded, then they should be listed in the amendment, otherwise courts may rule unions are corporations under this amendment.

The most important way to protect the environment is not to have more than one child.

by nextstep on Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 01:51:00 PM PST

•  Badly drafted (7+ / 0-)

1.  Citizens United did not turn on whether corporations are people (or persons or anything else).  It turned on the language of the 1st amendment that says "Congress shall make no law..."  So in a weighing of 1st amendment rights and this amendment, which would prevail?

2.  The proposed amendment allows regulation of corporations, limited liability companies, and other "corporate entities."  By its terms, it would not allow regulation of unincorporated associations, trusts (including business trusts), partnerships, limited liablity partnerships, limited liablity limited partnerships, cooperatives, mutual insurance companies, ditch companies, etc., any of which could take the place of a corporation or LLC.

"Well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation..."--David St. Hubbins

by Old Left Good Left on Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 05:22:22 PM PST

•  Something on my computer (1+ / 0-)
        NonnyO

has made it impossible to use adobe reader. Sorry to go off topic here but it's really restricting my ability to read important documents. Does anyone have a solution to this? I use Firefox as a browser and used to be able to use Adobe Reader but no longer. what's up with this?

•  Sorry, but I'm not a techie... (0+ / 0-)

I have three browsers, usually use Firefox.  .pdf documents open for me (Adobe auto-updates because I set it that way; otherwise I never remember to check for updates).

I download a lot of old out-of-copyright history and genealogy books that mention my ancestors, so I use it often..., altho, truth to tell, I detest the .pdf format because I can't copy-paste text.  Grrrr...

However, for a single page .pdf conversion to .jpg, someone referred me to GIMP 2 (free download).  For .pdf documents depicting images of old genealogy records, I open the .pdf, then save it as a .jpg.  Doesn't take long.

I still have no idea how I could convert an entire book to .jpg pages.  As long as the images are straight .jpg isn't bad for a printout..., but it's back to "I can't copy-paste!" from .pdf.  Documenting my ancestors from 400+/- years ago would be ever so much easier if I could copy-paste those old texts with old spelling, etc., for a straight transcription, complete with phonetic and other misspellings.

by NonnyO on Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 08:36:41 PM PST

•  Can you download and then open a PDF? (1+ / 0-)
            NonnyO

IF so, you need to check the preferences to tell Firefox to open PDFs in a new window with Adobe reader. Look under TOOLS / Options/

I do this all the time at work on some antiquated equipment and Direfox 8. (oops, Firefox).

Thump! Bang. Whack-boing. It's dub!

by dadadata on Fri Nov 18, 2011 at 03:28:46 AM PST

•  I only download .pdfs I want to save (0+ / 0-)

Google books for genealogy research & early New England history (copyrights long ago expired), and one web site in Norway had a bunch of .pdfs with transcriptions of records for the last almost four hundred years I needed (when I have a date it's easier to find the microfilm image of the actual document and download those as .jpgs from the other web site - that sort of thing.

The other .pdfs open in a new window.  When I'm done reading them, I close it.

One person sent me images of old baptism records from a Swedish church book all in .pdfs with a nice high resolution.  On screen all the black areas were around the outer edges which take up a humongous amount of ink if they're printed out as full .pdf pages.  Those single-page .pdfs I open in GIMP, re-save as .jpgs, open them the normal way, then straighten and crop the images before printing to a full letter-sized page.

Now, if I could only figure out how to save these lovely colored digital images from another site that uses some kind of Java program to run it in a high enough resolution that they could be enlarged and printed out as nicely as the other web site from a different country.  Instead, I can enlarge it all I want, save the image in .jpg..., but I lose the image at the top of the page that refers to the year and what kind of record book it is.  I can make the image smaller, then save, but it doesn't enlarge much before the pixels start immediately separating into a blur.  So, I usually save two images: the one of the whole page which gives me a reference, and one of the selected person/ancestor or sibling of my ancestor, etc. so that when I open it in the usual way I can read it clearly.

All these little adjustments one has to make just to download an image of a record that is usable....

:-)

by NonnyO on Fri Nov 18, 2011 at 04:27:08 AM PST

•  Copying from PDFs (1+ / 0-)
            NonnyO

I don't know if this will help in your case, but Adobe Acrobat Pro has an OCR option that will allow you to use the standard functions (search, cut and paste) with a pdf.

•  It could... (0+ / 0-)

... but when I've tried to copy... it gets put on a clipboard somewhere..., and in the maze of hidden files I've never managed to find a 'clipboard.'

On my old PC (with Office 2000) I had an OCR program installed that came with one of my scanners, but the hard drive went wonky and I haven't gotten back to it.  I hadn't worked with it long enough to figure out how it worked.  I just type the info from those old books into my genealogy program.  I am too impatient in the middle of research to mess around for hours getting something into an OCR program, then editing and correcting info that I can type in a very short time.  The OCR crap on Archive.org web site (and on Google Books sometimes) is impossible to look at and comprehend.  No one has edited it to make sense.  Ick.

by NonnyO on Fri Nov 18, 2011 at 06:00:03 PM PST

•  Oh, wait.... (0+ / 0-)

I only have whatever the Adobe program is that opens .pdf files.  I know there is some sort of 'copy-paste' thing in the menus, and that's where I got lost.  It wouldn't do any good unless it pastes as text into my genealogy program which is on my Mac iBook..., where my genie program works on 9.2.

I don't have an Adobe Acrobat Pro type of program on my old PC or on my laptop with Windows 7 (home premium) program, as far as I know.

by NonnyO on Fri Nov 18, 2011 at 06:04:40 PM PST

•  Either corporations are people or the 1% aren't. (2+ / 0-)
      TheUnknown285, zedaker

Because your statement that they don't fear death or imprisonment, nor feel remorse or compasion applies to both corporations AND the 1%.

The Republican motto: "There's been a lot of progress in this country over the last 75 years, and we've been against all of it."

by Hillbilly Dem on Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 12:41:38 PM PST

•  i'd bet (1+ / 0-)
        Hillbilly Dem

on the latter.

blink-- pale cold

by zedaker on Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 03:59:42 PM PST

•  sociopaths are not unique to (0+ / 0-)

corporations or the top 1%. Since many of the top 1% are doctors, philanthropists, and others who have compassion for their fellow humans, I wouldn't describe them this way either.

"Okay, until next time. Keep sending me your questions, and I will make fun of you... I mean, answer them." - Strong Bad

by AaronInSanDiego on Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 09:53:45 PM PST

•  Not all of the 1% are sociopaths (1+ / 0-)
          joe wobblie

And not all sociopaths are among the 1%. Many sociopaths work at Fox News and for various Murdoch inspired organizations for wages that put them well outside the 1%.

Many sociopaths are enablers of, and toadies for the 1%.

The frightening thing is the sheer number of people who are clearly sociopathic who are climbing out of the woodwork these days: Politicians, writers on right-wing blogs, etc. Is any of the current republican presidential candidates NOT a sociopath?

At this point, I would estimate that roughly 25-30% of the population is clinically sociopathic, based on observation of American public discourse. Far higher than most clinicians would allow based on standard models.

There have been clinical studies of various biological anomalies associated with pollutants (lowering sperm counts, etc.). I wonder if damage to the amygdala and resulting sociopathy is an as-yet un-observed outcome of chemical pollutants?

•  Corporations are not people (1+ / 0-)
        joe wobblie

The vast majority of the 1% and those who worship them, are simply narcissistic sociopaths, incapable of basic human emotions like compassion, love and decency.

•  I supported this with my vote in Boulder (0+ / 0-)

We were the 2nd city to call for this Amendment and it passed with over 18,000 votes out of just under 25K votes cast, a 3-1 margin. I really do love my town!

•  Corporations are avatars for the 1% (0+ / 0-)

eom

Hyperbole will be the death of us all!

by MrHinkyDink on Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 08:41:43 PM PST

•  And now they are so twisted that they don't (1+ / 0-)
      wilderness voice

return profit to shareholders  nor give shareholders a vote in how the corporation is run.  The Board of Directors and Executive would rather send the profits to their bought off politicians.