View Diary: Arizona Supreme Court overturns Colleen Mathis' ouster from redistricting commission (287 comments)

•  They caught you! (3+ / 0-)

Lol.

Whatever,  I'm staying away, if I was in there shoes I'd be rightfully very pissed off too.

•  They've been threatening me for months (13+ / 0-)

I keep what I post there respectful. And honestly, most of the people there are really good, knowledgeable political junkies. I appreciate getting another perspective by bopping over there (I actually post slightly more there than here). But if they want to get up in arms what I do on other websites (particularly their PARENT WEBSITE , then that is that issue. David Nir is solely responsible for the existence of RRH. And in all reality, the site has been a large success over there. 90% of what is said there is good information, but 10% is garbage. Just like here. About 10% of what is said in the comments at DKE is absolute trash. Win some and lose some, I guess.

•  Yes, I noticed (3+ / 0-)
        SaoMagnifico, KingofSpades, DCCyclone

It's almost like people forget that you're a Democrat.  I can understand why some people would be upset, but no need to act like shocked, jilted lovers.

•  I know that some RRHers (3+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY, tietack, Marcus Graly

post here, so I try to keep my respectful tone as consistent as possible when going between DKE and RRH. Respect is a 2-way street.

28 / F / Post-Modern / new CA-31 (hometown) / UT-01 (current) / SSP/RRH: californianintexas

by SoCalGal23 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 08:24:42 PM PST

•  I think I stay respectful, I usually avoid "us" or (2+ / 0-)
          SoCalGal23, MichaelNY

"them" other than the mishap when I first joined SSP I think everyone flows well with me. I've come to rather enjoy reading the comments and usually add my 0.2% where I think it's needed. I usually just observe more than comment though.

20, Male. DKE! “Music speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul.” anonymous

by aggou on Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 08:31:32 PM PST

•  I don't go there unless... (0+ / 0-)

...someone here references or links to a specific discussion there that interests me.

But I never registered there and therefore don't post comments, so of course I don't fear being banned.

43, male, Indian-American, married and proud father of a girl and a boy, Democrat, VA-10

by DCCyclone on Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 08:39:10 PM PST

•  That's what i do (2+ / 0-)
            DCCyclone, ArkDem14

and frankly, I'm going to head over there shortly.  This story sounds like a hoot to read people complain about.  Wait!!!  RedState, now that is some good shit at times.  I love going over there and picking on Moe Lane for being a terrible and lazy writer.  When Sen. Brown won, he showed a map of the outcome and said "Look, Brown only won a single Congressional district, Barney Frank's!"  First, that means he didn't even look at a congressional map side-by-side with the results because Western MA was all Coakley.  And then he didn't even look up who represented Boston and just assumed it was the gay guy.  RedState really could be an equivalent to DailyKos but the people running it just simply aren't qualified.

•  And then Eric Erikson is a sexist (0+ / 0-)

Bombastic, foul-tempered gasbag with perhaps the most selective grip on reality I have ever seen from someone portending to lecture on politics and social policy. He's said more repulsive things that Rush Limbaugh, which is amazing in of itself.

"If people doled out nutkickings where they are deserved, the world would be a better place." -Marcel Inhoff

by ArkDem14 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 09:29:58 PM PST

•  Even though Western MA was all Coakley (0+ / 0-)

it's mostly in the 1st, which also takes in some Central Mass towns that voted VERY strongly for Brown. I calculated Brown-Coakley #s for a map I drew which slightly weakened the 1st by removing Holyoke, and Brown won that version 52-47. I'm guessing he narrowly won the 1st as currently drawn. But yeah, not including Markey's district or Capuano's district is a pretty big fail.

21, male, RI-01 (voting) IL-01 (college), hopeless Swingnut

by sapelcovits on Fri Nov 18, 2011 at 11:23:18 PM PST

•  Was just scanning a bit (2+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY, SoCalGal23

so I should repost what I just said at RRH. slightly modified for PoV

****
          In any case, this flare up makes me think about how I have sometimes felt tempted to use different language in the two different forums.

The closest analogy I can think of (with flaws) is SSP as a "co-ed" institution that broke up into "single sex" educational forums.

In many cases, there's a language among men and women that's often different when together and when apart.

People who are involved in both forums need discipline to stay consistent.

However, people are human, and want to feel a sense of "belonging" in different arenas. That need sometimes leads to surprises, such as the way some Rs here have openly admitted the areas where they are more liberal (and visa versa). Sometimes, it leads to errors in language, where a user refers to actions on the other site to prove their "bona fides". (This is just a general statement, not directly related to this particular incident.)

While it's appropriate in general to avoid comments made on the "other" site, it's also important to remember the common lineage of both DKE and RRH from SSP.

"I hope; therefore, I can live."
          For SSP users, see my Tips for Swingnuts diary

by tietack on Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 11:07:01 PM PST

•  They're being naive to be pissed at you (2+ / 0-)
        HoosierD42, NMLib

We're all partisans, that's why we come to these sites at all.  We're not the political media, bound by neutrality.

To think that someone won't trash talk is silly.

I rarely go to RRH as I noted elsewhere in this subthread, but I fully expect all the Republicans who post here surely trash our party and candidates and this very site and its commenters (including me maybe!) over there.  And that doesn't bother me at all.  They're partisans, I'm not naive, and this isn't a sports rivalry--it's serious, the stakes in life are very real.  So I accept that political friendliness is significantly a mirage.  We might all be friends, even close friends, as co-workers or as neighbors, but in the realm of politics we are rivals, and like I said, it's not just as sports fans, so friendliness is limited.

The best one can realistically hope for in dialogue among rivalrous camps is civility and sensitivity face-to-face.  Hoping for the same from someone outside one's own presence, on something as important as politics, is naive.

by DCCyclone on Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 09:00:11 PM PST

•  I don't trash talk you guys. (2+ / 0-)
          HoosierD42, MichaelNY

I like most of you guys, I may disagree with you, but I wouldn't go and make fun of you somewhere else. (no matter how much I might be tempted sometimes).

by aggou on Fri Nov 18, 2011 at 07:39:37 AM PST

•  What I don't get in their logic on the merits... (5+ / 0-)
        ArkDem14, NMLib, KingofSpades, MichaelNY, askew

...is some of them think that somehow the AZ Supreme Court somehow doesn't have authority to overrule an impeachment.

Huh?

The right of judicial review is a basic principle of U.S. jurisprudence since Marbury v. Madison.

Statutes establish and limit various courts' jurisdictions, that's how it works at the federal and state level, but I don't see anyone at RRH arguing a legal absence of proper jurisdiction.  Rather they seem to be making a made-up argument that impeachment of the redistricting commissioners is unreviewable.  And that doesn't make any sense without textual support from applicable state laws.

by DCCyclone on Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 09:18:04 PM PST

•  The thing is... (5+ / 0-)

The impeachment law clearly puts a limitation on the impeachment/removal authority given to the Governor and the Legislature:

AFTER HAVING BEEN SERVED WRITTEN NOTICE AND PROVIDED WITH AN OPPORTUNITY FOR A RESPONSE, A MEMBER OF THE INDEPENDENT REDISTRICTING COMMISSION MAY BE REMOVED BY THE GOVERNOR, WITH THE CONCURRENCE OF TWO-THIRDS OF THE SENATE, FOR SUBSTANTIAL NEGLECT OF DUTY, GROSS MISCONDUCT IN OFFICE, OR INABILITY TO DISCHARGE THE DUTIES OF OFFICE.

Politics and more Formerly DGM on SSP. NM-01, 25 (chairman of the Atheist Caucus)

by NMLib on Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 09:40:40 PM PST

•  Right, but there's nothing limiting (1+ / 0-)
            NMLib

...judicial review, right?  Courts always have the right of enforceable review unless lacking proper jurisdiction.

by DCCyclone on Fri Nov 18, 2011 at 05:33:42 PM PST

•  Yep... (2+ / 0-)
              DCCyclone, MichaelNY

Actually I don't disagree with you, I should have worded differently but the way it's written actually suggests that the governor and senate's say so is not sufficient for removal, that's actually what makes it different from articles of impeachment

by NMLib on Fri Nov 18, 2011 at 09:04:27 PM PST