View Diary: Daily Kos/SEIU State of the Nation Poll: Democrats retake lead on generic ballot (133 comments)

•  I will concede that Citizen X is better off. (0+ / 0-)

And I think President Obama should really be mad at the press for not publicising this incredible act of heroism.

Or -- maybe, he wants to deflect attention form Citizens Y and Z who were killed when he pushed them into the bus's path in order to get to Citizen X, and Citizens A,B, C, and D who were killed when the bus swerved to avoid him and plowed  into a bridge abutment.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Nov 23, 2011 at 07:02:47 AM PST

•  That's nuts. Alternatives. (1+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY

I will concede--and have conceded--that Obama and the Dems have not done as much as they should to help ordinary people.

But they've done a hell of a lot more to help ordinary people than the GOP would've.

I see four alternatives for folks like you and me--and I think we agree more than we disagree--who are dissatisfied with Obama and the Dems:

1. Work to make the Democratic Party more progressive.

2. Start a third party. (Which would be nuts; I don't see how it could possibly turn out better than Nader, which was disastrous.)

3. Give up on politics and work to make the world better through private efforts.

4. Give up on the USA and move to Norway or Denmark or Australia or Costa Rica or someplace.

Actually, I see a fifth alternative, which one of these days I'm going to get serious about diarying: get a bunch of progressives from all over America to move to one small town or county, and implement progressive government there. The Blue County Project.

"The true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals." - Barack Obama

by HeyMikey on Wed Nov 23, 2011 at 08:29:54 AM PST

•  There are even more alternatives than that, I (1+ / 0-)
        HeyMikey

think.

One of them is the re-thinking of labels, which I see as being more divisive than descriptive.

First and foremost, I am  not a progressive.  I'm a conservative.
        OTOH, not sure how useful that label is, because most people don't imagine conservatives caring about the environment, etc.

And -- we call some people libertarians and they have some odd and cranky views, except that --
        a lot of them line up incredibly well with people who call themselves progressives.

I sometimes think the best thing in the world would be to let people get together in bunches of 12 or so all around the country, drink beers and yell at each other until they heard one or two things that made them go, "Well -- that's not so crazy."

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Nov 23, 2011 at 09:45:42 AM PST

•  You have a lot in common with Kos. (0+ / 0-)

A couple (few?) years ago Kos was highlighting a trend of "liberaltarian" thinking--pointing out that while libertarians and Democrats had plenty to disagree about, they also had important points of common ground.

I agree.

Do you read Andrew Sullivan's blog? That's the only one I read regularly, other than DailyKos. Sullivan is an honest conservative, libertarian tempered with pragmatism, and he has absolutely no use for the modern GOP.

by HeyMikey on Wed Nov 23, 2011 at 11:05:18 AM PST

•  I used to read it, but not lately. (0+ / 0-)

I go now and then, but it's not a function of Sullivan so much as having to choose where and how much time to invest once I got a job (after more than a year out of work, I might add).

Maybe I should squeeze him into a more regular rotation.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Nov 23, 2011 at 11:48:46 AM PST

•  The thing I like about Sullivan... (1+ / 0-)
              dinotrac

...well, one thing among many. But the thing that really sets him apart, is that he's willing to change his mind (and take his lumps for doing so) based on experience and new information. In other words, he's really interested in learning, and becoming a better person and better citizen. (I use "citizen" in a loose way, since Sully just got his green card.) And he takes his readers along that journey with him.

by HeyMikey on Wed Nov 23, 2011 at 12:47:46 PM PST